GM Volt Forum banner

Are eco cars tailgated more than other cars?

• No, no difference from other cars

Votes: 44 33.6%
  • Yes, because they are driven more conservatively

Votes: 62 47.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Yes, because other drivers tailgate them for some reason

Votes: 15 11.5%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who recently purchased a Prius called me one day to ask if I thought I got tailgated more in the Volt than my other cars. I replied that I thought so, and I had in the Prius also. He commented that in his Corvette he frequently drove the speed limit and not above, cruising with his wife, and didn't get tailgated, but in the Prius it seemed like someone was filling his rear view mirror all the time despite driving the same speeds.

Since he asked I've tried to pay attention to how frequently I'm tailgated, and I've sort of concluded that I'm tailgated quite a bit, but for whatever reason I notice it more in the Volt. Perhaps because when driving the Volt I'm conservative with speed consciously and pay more attention than when being conservative with speed in other cars not-consciously (and therefore pay less attention in those cars).

Do you think eco cars are tailgated more? And if so is it simply because they are driven more conservatively?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not in the Volt but everyone wants to cut me off when I'm driving the Leaf. I think it's the small wheels.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I'm always noticing the cars being left in the dust and shrinking quickly in my rearview.... I've never had anyone close enough to even read the decals for very long unless I'm caught behind someone else..

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't experience any increased frequency of tailgating with my Volt, but then again my driving is indistinguishable from the prevailing traffic. I like driving my Volt like a normal car. By observation many (most?) Prius drivers are in the right hand/slower lanes traveling slower than traffic, and as a consequence slowing traffic. The worst combination is a Prius traveling exactly at or about the posted limit sitting in the left hand lane causing traffic to divert around them in other more right hand lanes. I have observed this too frequently. Maybe it's a Prius mindset.

2012 Red Volt #4879

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think overall, Volt and Prius drivers are just more aware of power usage and want to gain the best milage for the buck. There maybe a few EV haters out there that tailgate attempting to intimidate the EV driver, which is not a good idea, active and retired cops drive EVs too...after all, every body knows anyone that drives an EV must be a whoosh...NOT

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
If your volt is RED even driving in L is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If this is a serious problem where you live due to lax enforcement, terrorism, etc., you can get all honey badger/James Bond on them:

Road Tack Dispensing System:

Smoke Screen Deployment System:

Texas Armoring Corporation (http://www.texasarmoring.com/) provides a number of useful services, and can help you really pimp your ride :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
A friend who recently purchased a Prius called me one day to ask if I thought I got tailgated more in the Volt than my other cars. I replied that I thought so, and I had in the Prius also. He commented that in his Corvette he frequently drove the speed limit and not above, cruising with his wife, and didn't get tailgated, but in the Prius it seemed like someone was filling his rear view mirror all the time despite driving the same speeds.
People don't tailgate the Corvette because of a combination of [1] they don't see them all that often, [2] they are admiring the car, and [3] they are extra cautious because they know it is an expensive car.

They tailgate the Prius because it is their normal mindset to tailgate.

For these reasons, comparing tailgating in a Prius vs. Corvette doesn't really say a lot. You really need someone that drives a Volt a lot, and another non-hybrid car (not SUV, minivan, etc.) a lot.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Since he asked I've tried to pay attention to how frequently I'm tailgated, and I've sort of concluded that I'm tailgated quite a bit, but for whatever reason I notice it more in the Volt. Perhaps because when driving the Volt I'm conservative with speed consciously and pay more attention than when being conservative with speed in other cars not-consciously (and therefore pay less attention in those cars).

Do you think eco cars are tailgated more? And if so is it simply because they are driven more conservatively?
It's simple, many hybrid drivers accelerate and decelerate at a rate far outside the norm. This causes problems on freeways as drivers "get stuck" behind them and have to wait for breaks in traffic in the adjacent lanes to get around them. It's particularly vexing when they are driving 5mph or more below the posted limit. Reminds me of driving behind a tractor on a two lane road.

I posit that the exact thing happens to non-hybrid cars that are driven in the same manner. It's not the car, it's the behavior.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know that I get tailgated a lot more than when driving my truck. I like to travel at 50mph in the Volt as per the owners manual for the best range. Anything over that speed and I can literally watch the miles being stripped away form the battery charge indicator. What I don't get is a couple of things, I don't think that people in general understand the term "Speed Limit" and that it is not the minimum speed that you are allowed by law to drive, but rather the maximum speed that is allowed. It pisses me off to be driving at 55mph on a road with the max posted as the same to only have someone tailgate me. I also don't think most people understand that the slower they can drive, means the more fuel that they are saving. That is exactly why the national 55mph speed limit was put into place years ago as an energy conservation measure. I think that the 55mph limit or maybe even 60mph should be reenacted to help solve the energy dependency issue. The other thing that pisses me off is speeders in general, I mean, we all have sped at times and will do so , but the super speeders or even those going over 10mph past the limit need to suffer the wrath of the state trooper. The government could also reap a ton of income form tickets if the slower speed limits were introduced which would help the deficit crisis that many areas face. If you really need to speed to get where you are going, then you obviously left to late and should begin your journey earlier!:cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm always noticing the cars being left in the dust and shrinking quickly in my rearview.... I've never had anyone close enough to even read the decals for very long unless I'm caught behind someone else..

MrEnergyCzar
Yup...

Usually I am the quickest car in my commuter crunch. I am a bit of a lead foot (Coal Foot?). Often someone will slip around me then slow whilst they take a peak at my front in their side view mirror! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a theory, totally unfounded, that it just seems worse with the Prius and Volt due to the hatch back design and that lower glass area. In general people tailgate too much.

-Jeff
Prius: 2005-2012
Volt: 2012-20??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've owned mine since 3/6/12 and drive heavy traffic to and from work. I have yet to see another Volt on the road and I believe that the car is a curiosity. In many instances, other drivers get pretty close, looking the cab trying to see the displays or just inspect the car. I get a lot of following at the side (I try not to make eye contact) with people 'inspecting' the car. In one instance, I was turning left to get on an on-ramp and the silver BMW to my right kept inspecting the car, trying to see the insides. He looked a bit too long and crashed into stopped traffic. He was OK but really annoyed. I didn't stay long enough for him to see the inside and suggested he go to the dealership to see the rest. So, let them look. But from a safe distance.

2012 Blue Topaz, Loaded

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just answered yes because the other 2 yes selections also apply.

When I had my smart I drove it like I stole it. I was never the slow driver out there and I was constantly passing people. But regardless of how fast I would go, at least 2 or 3 times in my commute I'd have somebody drive right up my butt only to pass me then get in front and slow down. Usually it was someone in a pickup truck or suv. It really got annoying. It was like because it was such a small eco-minded car they thought it had no right to be on the road or to go faster than them. There are people out there that have a real irrational hate for true economy cars. It's like it is a challenge of there masculinity.

Then I got the Volt. For the first little while I drove like I always had and I never had anyone play the same games I had in the smart. I'd pass people and they'd just carry on with their own lives and I'd drive on too fast to work. Then I got the "get the most out of a charge" bug and my driving style became the polar opposite of how I drove before. I am keep the green ball centered when accelerating from lights, I do the speed limit even in those annoying 40, 50, and 60kph zones. I glide down to turns and intersections rather than racing up to them and jamming on the brakes at the last second and use Low alot. Now I get people tailgating but they tend to just do it until they can get by rather than try to push me around like they did with the smart, and that I don't find that as annoying. That and I don't think a lot of the haters recognize the Volt as a super-eco car(in that they don't know what a Volt is) and their ignorance is my bliss!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Some people just like to tailgate, the worst experience I had was years ago while driving a Caviler, in the right hand lane, at about 2am on the expressway and no other traffic, I had a car sit on my tail, adjusted my speed up and down, he stayed right on my tail, I sped up to about 80 MPH, he sped up. I then took my foot off of the gas peddle and he did not go around me till I had slowed down to about 35 MPH, and then he was mad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know that I get tailgated a lot more than when driving my truck. I like to travel at 50mph in the Volt as per the owners manual for the best range. Anything over that speed and I can literally watch the miles being stripped away form the battery charge indicator. What I don't get is a couple of things, I don't think that people in general understand the term "Speed Limit" and that it is not the minimum speed that you are allowed by law to drive, but rather the maximum speed that is allowed. It pisses me off to be driving at 55mph on a road with the max posted as the same to only have someone tailgate me. I also don't think most people understand that the slower they can drive, means the more fuel that they are saving. That is exactly why the national 55mph speed limit was put into place years ago as an energy conservation measure. I think that the 55mph limit or maybe even 60mph should be reenacted to help solve the energy dependency issue. The other thing that pisses me off is speeders in general, I mean, we all have sped at times and will do so , but the super speeders or even those going over 10mph past the limit need to suffer the wrath of the state trooper. The government could also reap a ton of income form tickets if the slower speed limits were introduced which would help the deficit crisis that many areas face. If you really need to speed to get where you are going, then you obviously left to late and should begin your journey earlier!:cool:
You seem to have admitted to driving at 50. Are you aware that when your speedometer says 50 you are actually only going 47? So you are driving almost 10 mph below the speed limit and you wonder why you are tailgated? Put your speedometer at 60, which is actually a safe 57, and life will be good for everyone. :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are you aware that when your speedometer says 50 you are actually only going 47? ... Put your speedometer at 60, which is actually a safe 57...
FYI, most people report that (unlike many cars) the speedometer on the Volt is very accurate. If it says 50, you probably are going 50. If you aren't sure, check it out with one of those Police "You are going X MPH" signs if they have them in your area.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You seem to have admitted to driving at 50. Are you aware that when your speedometer says 50 you are actually only going 47? So you are driving almost 10 mph below the speed limit and you wonder why you are tailgated? Put your speedometer at 60, which is actually a safe 57, and life will be good for everyone. :)
Actually... Toyota speedometers are deliberately calibrated to read 3mpg faster than the car is actually going. This is due to the cowardliness of Toyota's lawyers being afraid that USA customers will sue Toyota if they get a speeding ticket.

The Volt's speedometer does read your actual speed. (I checked it several times with my Garmin GPS.) The GM/Volt spedo seems to be highly accurate with my tires inflated to 38 psi.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
FYI, most people report that (unlike many cars) the speedometer on the Volt is very accurate. If it says 50, you probably are going 50. If you aren't sure, check it out with one of those Police "You are going X MPH" signs if they have them in your area.
Many GPS units (like an iPhone) can also cross check your speed with a high degree of accuracy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some people just like to tailgate, the worst experience I had was years ago while driving a Caviler, in the right hand lane, at about 2am on the expressway and no other traffic, I had a car sit on my tail, adjusted my speed up and down, he stayed right on my tail, I sped up to about 80 MPH, he sped up. I then took my foot off of the gas peddle and he did not go around me till I had slowed down to about 35 MPH, and then he was mad.
I had that experience at night on the interstate once for literally 100 miles. It was no bad with this driver, that I literally slowed to 50mph and let her get a couple miles ahead of me (we were about the only cars on the road), then sped up again figuring she would be gone. Turns out she'd slowed down alot and within a few minutes was behind me, probably a car length back, again. So I sped up to 100 to dust her, then back to the speed limit. Within a few minutes she was behind me again. It was almost painful having her lights that close for so long, I finally just pulled off and took a side road.

She needs to be relieved of her license to drive.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts