GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Pa..former Volt leasee..Volt lease is up looking to go all EV with the Spark. Don't want to bring it in from Cal and don't want to go much longer without a car...Looking to get a Spark EV tomorrow..driving to Md..if they are available? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Former REIV2G Volt now looking

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The used one looks promising but needs to come down in price a bit more. You could offer them 15,600 and see if they bite.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thaks very much for the replies.
Yes, too pricey for a used 2014. With the new leasing offer...and the new 2015 pricing I would be better off getting the new one unless this used one went for about $12,000. ONly advantage price wise for the used one is lower insurance cost.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Dang, now I'm interested !!

One of the used Spark EV's listed above is in Ohio. I'm not at all concerned about the 'bought back Lemon Law' part.

My big questions are:
How did this car get to Ohio?
And can this car be serviced at any local Chevy dealership if brought to states where it is not for sale as a new car?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good questions Norton. I have the same concerns here in Pa. I think the volt dealers might be able to service the EV Spark...any help here?
Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was looking into Spark EVs a couple months ago. Unfortunately things have changed for me and a Spark isn't going to work, but Criswell Chevrolet of Thurmont had a few on order, and they ordred a green one on Feb 20 (that is the one I wanted), and said it would be there in 6-8 weeks, so you might want to check with them. I was talking to Craig Breinig.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
So where can I get official info about having a Spark EV in a state where it is not officially for sale?
Where can it be serviced and have warranty work performed?

Anyone?

I hate to call a generic Chevy national number, but that may be the only way to get the conversation started.

I am interested in a used one that is already in the mid west.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
This is a duplicate from another Spark EV thread:

I want my Spark EV....!!

I've contacted GM through email twice asking if a Spark EV was trailered to the midwest could it serviced at local Chevy dealers.

I just received a reply from Chevy Marketing Team. This (my bold) is the important part to my question about servicing while the car is in a state where it is not available for sale.
I replied asking for clarification on the bold portion of their reply.

The current plan is to sell and register the Spark EV to residents in California, Oregon, and Maryland. There are no plans for distribution outside of CA and OR at this time, but we will continue to study and evaluate other opportunities. There will be very limited vehicle service availability outside CA, OR and MD.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Norton, I would talk to the service manager at your local Chevrolet dealership. I think it would mainly be up to them to decide to work on your Spark EV or not. One thing going for you, though, is that the Spark EV is a lot simpler than the Volt. The dual power of the Volt adds several levels of complexity. Also, the dealer already works on Spark gas models, so it's only the EV drive and battery that would be different. Along with that, as time goes on, there reports of problems with the Spark EV are few and far between.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Steve,
I'll get around to talking to the service manager where my Volt was worked on. I know he is a different level than a salesman,,
still, I have an issue when I see their lips moving at car dealerships.
What if every Chevy dealer in town says "No Thanks"?

Above, I posted a response from GM corporate. I want a definite policy statement. Not word of mouth. I'm waiting on GM corporate to answer my question about the bold sentence above.

I bought a hoopty 14 yr old hybrid to get my by until the 2016 Volt comes out.
Now I'm considering life with an 82 mile range BEV ! And keep the hybrid for gas burning duty.

btw, I live 41 miles from the airport. Perfect! In theory. No charging at all at the airport now. Come on DCFC locations! Even L2 would help take the stress out of an airport run.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have the money to buy a product and request to purchase you can't be denied based on where you live? Is this 'prejudice'? Or just the insanity of 'compliance cardumb'
How is it legal to NOT sell a product (SPARK EV) to someone from another state? I can see having a different price. I can see GM having a mandate to sell so many vehicles in different states to meet CARB requirements. So produce more of them to sell to other states as well.
If someone comes cash in hand to buy a product and you don't sell to them then that seems illegal.
Equal protection under the law?
Consumer rights for out of state purchasers?

"I want to buy a car. Sorry we can't well it to you." It just feels illegal.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I agree, they have to sell me one. Especially if I buy a used one and eventually there should be a lot of them coming off-lease.
But I don't want any surprises about getting it serviced in my home town of KC, MO.

Edit: I just discovered KC has a decent amount (14) of free SAE Combo DCFC units around the area. I can make the airport run easily with a 10 minute top up at one of them. I now will only buy a Spark EV with the DC Fast charge option. This is the format that GM, BMW and VW are using. The Leaf and iMiEV use CHAdeMO. Some places have both cords coming out of the DC Fast charge station.

Here is the entire letter I received from GM (with me adding the bold to the important section):

Dear Mr. Norton,

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the Spark EV! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us and for allowing us the opportunity to assist you this morning.

In regards to your inquiry, when purchasing a vehicle, you do have the option to choose any dealership to purchase from. However, please do note that when registering the vehicle is will be register in the state you are currently resident of and unfortunately, if you are not a resident of California, Oregon, or Maryland you will not have the ability to purchase the Chevrolet Spark EV.

The current plan is to sell and register the Spark EV to residents in California, Oregon, and Maryland. There are no plans for distribution outside of CA and OR at this time, but we will continue to study and evaluate other opportunities. There will be very limited vehicle service availability outside CA, OR and MD. If you have any further questions, our Marketing Support Department can provide you with product, promotion, and incentive information, as well as assist you with locating a vehicle. If there is anything that we can assist with, please reply to this e-mail or by phone at the number listed below with your specific inquiry and we will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide exceptional customer service, and welcome the opportunity to earn your business. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-950-2438 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am to 9pm Eastern Time, and Saturday 9am to 6pm. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

I asked for clarification on the important question a few times but no replies so far...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing that email Norton. In my case I am only 45miles from a MD dealer who can service the Spark so not too bad. But they will not sell it ( a new EV) to me as I am registered in Pa. This is very frustrating.

I may buy a used one if 'they' will let me do that...I will take the risk with the distance...maybe ..sleeping on it...

'

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help. I ended up getting my Chevy Spark EV from Miller Brothers Chevrolet in Ellicott Md. Cars.com was the best resource for tracking them down.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
But they will not sell it ( a new EV) to me as I am registered in Pa. This is very frustrating.
How does that work? They send you away, cash in hand? Is there a policy in writing?

I ended up buying a used one 800 miles away and drove there and dollied it back home. Love it so far !!

I talked to the local Chevy service manager where I had my Volt serviced and he said they could work on it just fine. The only problem might be if they need some dedicated tools. He said SW updates and things like that should be no problem.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
How does that work? They send you away, cash in hand? Is there a policy in writing?

I ended up buying a used one 800 miles away and drove there and dollied it back home. Love it so far !!

I talked to the local Chevy service manager where I had my Volt serviced and he said they could work on it just fine. The only problem might be if they need some dedicated tools. He said SW updates and things like that should be no problem.
I wonder if "they won't sell it" means "they won't sell it and include the incentives being offered MD residents". I believe Toyota made it so Rav EV purchasers would only be eligible for the massive incentives being offered at the time if they were CA residents. Perhaps a similar thing is being done by GM and the Spark EV. Compliance car fun. Woooo

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Criswell Chevy in Gaithersburg has a white Spark EV available for $149/mo this Friday - $149 first payment down. Pretty good deal but only for MD residents. Lease is 10k a year mileage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts