GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

I have had my 2015 Volt for a month now and am realizing more and more how much easier it would be if I had a quick charging option at home. That being said, there are alot of options and they all seem to be very different in price. I need one that can withstand the weather as I do not have a garage.

Does anyone have any experience that can reduce the list down a little more manageable for me? I am a little technically challenged as they say and some of these specs look like a foreign language to me! :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just called Bosch and each of the three people I talked to were quick to send me to someone else before they said to re-call the first number I tried.. a little frustrated right now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will leave answering your question to someone who actually knows something, but wanted to say: welcome! How do you like the car? Many people here will be eager to hear about your 2015 experience.

Anne
1 month Volt owner also

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What you are looking for is a level 2 evse. I believe any brand will charge at the maximum rate the Volt will allow. Some may not be suitable for outdoor service, but you can overcome that with an outdoor rated nema enclosure. I am very happy with the Clipper Creek product which is American made and very competitively priced.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
For outdoor use, I would go with a weather-proof portable EVSE. Portable, so you can store it in the car when not in use avoiding theft and undue weather exposure. You will need a weather-proof 240v outlet that matches the EVSE plug (There are several different ones.)

To make it easy, go with a Clipper as mentioned and have an electrician install the outlet you need. Pretty much all of them are powerful enough to charge a Volt at maximum charge rate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are several options on the market as you say. However, first and foremost, your Volt has a maximum charging ability of 3.3Kw which is roughly 4-5 hours on a 240 EVSE. It's important to know, because most people get it confused, is that the actual charger is built into your Volt. The outside piece that plugs in is called Electric Vehicle Servicing Equipment. It's job is to provide safety at the plug and monitor for certain malfunctions in the electrical supply, and with the vehicle. When you plug the EVSE into your Volt, they do a communication handshake and the Volt will tell the EVSE how much it can handle in terms of current. Divide 3.3kw, or 3300 watts by 240 and you get 13.75 amps. So even the smallest rated 240 volt EVSE will charge your Volt in minimum possible time. The new LCS-20 by Clipper Creek at $395 is a fine offering, being American made and a 3 year warranty. Those who have needed customer service from CC say it is a top notch experience. Higher power output capable units won't help your Volt, but they will future proof you when and if you need more output for say, an all electric vehicle with much larger battery.

Welcome to the Volt experience!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you spent just a little time researching the forum you would find at least 100 threads discussing this question.

Sorry to be so Elemental ;), but it get annoying when the same question shows up every week or so.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I see you are from Ontario. The Ontario government has an incentive program for installing a level 2 240V AC EVSE at your home.

Below is the link to the mto website (which included is a list of eligible units):
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

Many people recommend Clipper Creek units for best bang for the buck. In Canada they are sold under the Sun Country Highway brand.
http://suncountryhighway.ca/chargers/

The Sun Country SCH25 is the Same as the Clipper Creek LCS-25. As you are parked outside you may want to consider getting the plug holster as well to protect the plug.

I personally use the unit below because I like the cord and plug management on it. However many have had issues with this unit. So far in 1.5 years mine is still going. The strain relief on the plug is frayed however. If it dies I will just rebuild it myself.
http://www.pluginnow.com/ca/content/gm-voltec

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My advice is carefully watch the scene in Back to The Future involving the Clock Tower. Surely if you charge a Deloreran' the Volt should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
... what Neromanceres said, plus I have had my Sun Country Highway 25 unit outside for a couple of winters with minimal protection, and no problems at all. Sun Country / Clipper Creek have built up a very good reputation, you can't go too far wrong with them.

Have it professionally installed so you can take advantage of the Ontario rebate programme.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you spent just a little time researching the forum you would find at least 100 threads discussing this question.

Sorry to be so Elemental ;), but it get annoying when the same question shows up every week or so.
Your not Elemental. Elemental is Elemental, and he wouldn't have apologized for anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
LCS-25 at work ! Very compact Nema 4 unit.

I have a LCS-25 at home too, it has been flawless for almost 2 years for now. 20A output max is enough for the actual Volt with its 3.3 kW AC onboard charger but if you want to have some room to spare (30A & +) for future expansion, go for a 50A weatherproof outside receptacle because there are higher output amp EVSE available on the market...

... what Neromanceres said, plus I have had my Sun Country Highway 25 unit outside for a couple of winters with minimal protection, and no problems at all. Sun Country / Clipper Creek have built up a very good reputation, you can't go too far wrong with them.

Have it professionally installed so you can take advantage of the Ontario rebate programme.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Volt purchase. A 240V charging option for your home is a good plan if you want to leverage more all-electric driving opportunities. Factor in the 50% incentive the Ontario government offers for fast charger purchase and installation. It can be a wise investment!

I have a Sun Country Highway SCH-25. More than adequate for the Volt. It's a very compact unit that looks good, works well and has an adequate length cord. This Level 2 EVSE is installed in my car port so is open to the elements (direct sunlight, wind, rain, etc.). It's outdoor rated and comes with cUL and CSA approvals. So no worries when it comes to inspection by the Electrical Safety Authority.

I decided to go with a hardwire unit. I did not want a 240V plug open to the elements in my car port. Installation is straightforward, but I recommend you hire a licensed electrician as you say you're not technical. The electrician must obtain a permit. The ESA will do an inspection. With all the receipts and inspection certificate, you're good to go with claiming your rebate from the government.

There are many units on the market. Larger more powerful units won't benefit you at all where your Volt is concerned. If you decide in the future to get a different electric vehicle, you may weigh your options in buying a more powerful Level 2 EVSE now (future proof) or simply defer and upgrade/replace it later whenever you should get a different vehicle. In 5 or 10 years, newer standards may come about. So consider this development as well.

The SCH-20 or SCH-25 are well matched for your Volt and reasonably priced. American made to boot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts