GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I know that american Volt owners get this job done for free, but the rest of the world doesn't.

So I just wanted to leave the tutorial here for the ROW people :)

So far I only replaced the winglets at the A-pillar, but I will do the Mirror housing later on, too.

These tools are needed:

- a big flat bladed screwdiver
- a long grip for bit attachments (7mm and 10mm nut)
- pipe wrench

1. Remove the 3 screws from the door insert, use the red marked spot to get it off

2. The door insert is held by plastic christmas tree nipples. Starting at the bottom of the door, take your screwdriver and pop them out of their holes, working your way upwards.

The whole plastic door insert is one part, it doesn't look like it, though!

! IMPORTANT ! Pay attention to your silver lock indicator, you have to lift the door insert above it:

To loosen your exterior rear-view mirror you have to loosen the 3 (not 4) female screws behind the black rubber flap, which is sealed with some black glue-like puddy. You can open the flap and press it back into its position when you are done, it will still be sticky.

Behind the black flap there are said female screws which are quite tight. I got them off using this contraption:

Un-screw the female screws ONLY UNTIL YOU REACH THE END OF THE THREAD
If you un-screw them completely they might fall into the door frame and you have to fiddle them out again.

Now you can remove the old plate and attach the winglet. You have to loosen the exterior rear-view mirror because you have to get behind it, otherwise you can't snap the new winglet in.

Done! :cool:

·
Registered
266 Posts
That could have been made much better and just as good with a strong double sided tape application like what holds the outside trim on.

Someone was not thinking ahead on the cost of labor to install them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That could have been made much better and just as good with a strong double sided tape application like what holds the outside trim on.

And since I think I remember the ninja having a fair amount of success with just the little black thing and not using the mirror caps. Could have contracted millions of the things made from hollow polystyrene with sticky tape and mailed everyone that wanted some a dozen of the things. "If it falls off, put on a new one."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing.
Np, might come in handy for people upgrading their BOSE system, too ^^

To be fair, no one expected that part to be exchanged when they released the Volt, the complains surfaced after the inital release. I am thankful for such a sturdy construction, which means it won't fall off easily in the future.

I think I remember the ninja having a fair amount of success with just the little black thing
My conspiracy theory says that their plan was to fix the wind buffeting with the winglets, but also increase the drag-coefficient with a "FAKE" mirror housing which doesn't do anything except raising the fuel-sales on the long term, making it profitable for the oil industry

:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2014, has this been anti-buffetted from the factory, or do I need to go into Chevy and have them fix it (for free?)

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2014, has this been anti-buffetted from the factory, or do I need to go into Chevy and have them fix it (for free?)
Go look at your car. Do you have little "wings" on your trim plate (as shown in the first post) and mirror cap?

·
Administrator
19,970 Posts
I have driven at speeds up to 75 MPH with all four windows open without buffeting, thrumming, drumming by simply adjusting my window openings as in the picture below:

Anti-Buffeting Window Position.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
simply adjusting my window openings
My personal preference is that I just want to adjust the windows I REALLY care about, without thinking of additional rear windows which lead to distraction etc.

You have to complain at Chevy because no Volt left the factory with this kit already installed, it's an after-sales feature

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fun experiment: drive at 70 w/all four windows open. The vibration is simply astounding, almost so dramatic that it's a feature worth keeping as a gag for unsuspecting passengers. Interior rear-view shaking so badly it's not possible to see, etc. I'm pretty sure I'd throw up if I sat in it for a while.

Sounds like an excuse but I kind of like the buffeting, or I at least sympathize with the accident; it seems to be an artifact of laser-like focus on other aerodynamic characteristics.

Thanks for the how-to! Bookmarked.

·
Administrator
19,970 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you buy the black applique pieces new or pick them up used?
I bought them new via american ebay (Germany doesn't support the pieces), they come with 3 pieces per side:

What is the part number for the left & right black appliques?
I don't have part numbers for it, because they are part of the "pack" itself:

Mirror Kit 22778043 (left + right side)

Mirror Kit 22778037 (left side)

Mirror Kit 22778038 (right side)

But!

There are letters engraved on the black appliques themself:

left winglet: LH 1671-1000.100 >ABS<

right winglet: RH 1671-2000 >ABS< 2

Hope this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought them new via american ebay (Germany doesn't support the pieces), they come with 3 pieces per side:

I don't have part numbers for it, because they are part of the "pack" itself:

Mirror Kit 22778043 (left + right side)

Mirror Kit 22778037 (left side)

Mirror Kit 22778038 (right side)

But!

There are letters engraved on the black appliques themself:

left winglet: LH 1671-1000.100 >ABS<

right winglet: RH 1671-2000 >ABS< 2

Hope this helps
Did you put on the mirror cover or just the winglets on the side?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts