GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I want to say thanks to Scott1620 for the original idea and Iniguito Negro for idea with Orange Pi3

1. Parts to Buy
2. Setup
I suggest putting together the whole setup at your desk (inside) and THEN bringing it to the car vs trying to put everything together in the car. It will make things go much smoother.
  • Connect your Orange Pi3 to a USB power supply, the HDMI cable to a TV or Monitor (from the Orange Pi3), and a USB mouse. Power on the Orange Pi. At this point, it will boot up with the Chinese language. Android icons and the interface are pretty well known, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to switch the language to English in the settings. How to change it to English
  • Download the APK for the CarPlay dongle, copy it to a flash drive and plug into the OrangePi. Within Android, open the File Manager app, then open the USB Flash drive’s folder -> Click on APK you just put on the flash drive and then follow the Android instructions to install. During the installation, make sure to enable automatic boot up and WiFi so CarPlay will start once your car starts automatically. If you prefer Android Auto, the same concept applies – you just need to download the APK for that and install it.
At this point, launch the app and being wireless, your iPhone will automatically detect CarPlay and prompt you to connect. Once you approve your TV/Monitor will show you something like this:

As I mentioned above, this Dongle also supports Android Auto – the only difference is installing that app APK instead of CarPlay.

3. Wiring
Cables you need:
  • 2 HDMI cables. One of them will be included with HD-Link
  • A Micro-USB — USB with a signal line. It's quite often that cables are work for charging only. Essentially any micro USB cable that can transfer files.
  • 2 USB extension cords (Optional). I've connected one of them to Orange Pi3 (in case I need to config something later on) and then one to CarPlay dongle.
At this point, you need to solder one wire from the Touch controller to the HD Link's GVIF PCB. This is Scott1620 idea, so thank you once again!

Some of the pics below are also from Chris1614 during his install - we talked A LOT through it, and he added some details on the pics. - thank you for them!

This wire will have 5V of power when the original Volt interface is on and 0V when the HDMI interface activated. (You need to know this info for later touch controller config).

Also, mark all the wires by some tags. There are millions of them so it will be easy to find a needed one during installation in the car.

4. Installation
I'll skip HD-Link installation, as it is explained many times in this forum and on youtube with full instructions. Also some manual available.

• Connect Orange Pi3 by HDMI to the HD-Link
  • Connect Orange Pi3 power cable to the USB port from the HD-Link (next to the HDMI connector)
  • Connect CarPlay dongle to Orange Pi and connect the USB extension cord
  • Connect Touch Controller to Orange Pi via USB cable

Now let's talk for a bit about the Touch Controller and its setup.

Here is Doc for this controller

Wiring:
X5/1 & X5/2 - Can go to Car Lighter's (on top of dash) Dark Purple power wire
X5/3 & X5/4 - Can go to Car Lighter's (on top of dash) Black ground wire
X5/9 - Connect here to the cable you soldered a few steps above. I suggest you use some connectors for easy installation.

Then you need to disassemble OEM screen and disconnect the touch screen cable. This part is easy and quick, everything is plug and play.

Here is a connection diagram:

Links to some of the pics for full quality: CarPlay install - touch controller photos

There is a hole in the metal case of the screen - you can use this to fit through the cable for the touch controller. Assemble everything back, connect your central stack console and turn your car on. At this point, you should be able to see the stock infotainment interface working. You should also see a red LED blinking on the touch controller if you touch the screen. Don't worry, there will be no response/action after tap but it's okay at this point. Switch to the HD-Link interface by holding the Home button on the central stack (or use an external button on Volt with Denso HDD head units) and you should see Android booting up and eventually CarPlay (roughly 30-50 seconds).

The next step is to configure the touch controller and there are two ways to do that:
1. Run a special software (comes with the touch controller) if you’re smart enough and do the programming by yourself.
2. Ask @Yam1966 on Telegram app to help you if you’re not smart enough (like me ;) ). He'll use TeamViewer (or a similar app) and setup the config for you through your PC (you'll plug in the touch controller to your PC for this). Once he is finished helping and it's set up, don't forget to unplug the touch controller from your PC and put it back into the Orange Pi.

And that's all. Put all the cables and boxes somewhere and assemble everything back!

If using Bluetooth for Audio/Calls, the following steps will make it to always route correctly in CarPlay mode!

For Audio:
1. Connect an iPhone to the CarPlay
2. On your phone, Open 'Shortcuts' app (should be a default installed app for all users - it's an Apple Siri app)
3. Open Automation tab at bottom
4. Tap +
5. Create Personal Automation
6. Under Travel secttio, select CarPlay
7. Choose 'Connects or Disconnects'
8. Add Action
9. Media
10. Under 'Playback' choose 'Set Playback Destination'
11. Select “your volt’s Bluetooth name.”
12. Turn “Ask Before Run” OFF

For Calls:

1. Got to Settings in iPhone
2. Pull down screen to get search bar at the top
3. Search Route
4. Select Call Audio Routing
5. It will take you to the Touch Accessibility Settings - scroll down and choose Call Audio Routing
6. Set as Bluetooth Headset

Enjoy!

Some demo

Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome Job! I am just wondering if the touch I/O on the HD-Link could be used with one of the DIO's in serial coms. I emailed indiworks to see if they would be helpful.

·
4,852 Posts
That's pretty sweet. Would this work for ALL Gen 1 Volts? The 2011-2012 have the built in hard drive, for example, and may have some corresponding HW differences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty sweet. Would this work for ALL Gen 1 Volts? The 2011-2012 have the built in hard drive, for example, and may have some corresponding HW differences.
It will work but you need to buy the external Mode Switching button for HD-Link.

My Volt is 2012, I swapped Denso with HDD to Panasonic a while ago, everything is bolt-on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on what 2012... If the home page is to the left of the tune wheel (opposite of the back button) you will not need an external switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will this install work if my VCIM module is out? The one that has GPS, Bluetooth and Onstar functions. I was thinking about doing this instead of paying for a new module.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will this install work if my VCIM module is out? The one that has GPS, Bluetooth and Onstar functions. I was thinking about doing this instead of paying for a new module.
I don't have exact answers on you questions as we don't have any of these in Ukraine.

But HD-Link has nothing about OnStar modules, it's a separate box that is connected to a stock Head Unit. Same situation with the touch controller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have anyone tried contacting the supplier for the Touch Controller via Telegram? Trying to get the hardest part first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats a rad implementation. Any possibility of displaying raw android on the display as well? It would be super cool to be able to run Torque on it. Even be able to check OBDII codes from the car its self.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a rad implementation. Any possibility of displaying raw android on the display as well? It would be super cool to be able to run Torque on it. Even be able to check OBDII codes from the car its self.
Sure, Orange Pi3 running on Android 7 so it's up to you what to display on the OEM screen.
CarPlay works like an android app, so just not run it and you'll see a raw android interface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have anyone tried contacting the supplier for the Touch Controller via Telegram? Trying to get the hardest part first.
I have chatted with him multiple times - he just got 8 more touch controllers in stock today. I already sent him the money via Western Union online ($54 + $12 western union fee)....he's extremely responsive, and no language issue, knows English very well. He seems happy to help with any setup, once the controller arrives.

I ordered the CarPlay dongle and Orange Pi on 2/8....CarPlay came last week, the Orange Pi is likely this week - both shipped from China. I already had the HD-Link, but when I ordered that originally, that was a much faster delivery compared to the 2 devices from China.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have chatted with him multiple times - he just got 8 more touch controllers in stock today. I already sent him the money via Western Union online ($54 + $12 western union fee)....he's extremely responsive, and no language issue, knows English very well. He seems happy to help with any setup, once the controller arrives.

I ordered the CarPlay dongle and Orange Pi on 2/8....CarPlay came last week, the Orange Pi is likely this week - both shipped from China. I already had the HD-Link, but when I ordered that originally, that was a much faster delivery compared to the 2 devices from China.

That’s good to know. Thanks for the update. Who would guess a European Programmer to help us with our Apple technology! Awesome!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How do you transfer the audio signal?Do you hear waze instructions from the speakers?
I keep an iPhone connected to the Volt Bluetooth.
There is only one issue I have right now: You have to manually change a sound output from CarPlay to Volt BT. It's basically two clicks on the iPhone.

I'll check Waze instructions later today, I'm never using them.

upd:

Known issues so far:
- Waze voice instructions are not working
- Touch control is not working for the HD-Link Settings. That's a software issue, I'll figure out how to fix it, but make all the setupin that setting before connecting touch controller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy to say that this is now successfully installed! Also getting with Philip to update the guide with helpful tips that I came across while installing....to prevent the mistakes I made initially lol. Much thanks to Philip for all this help!

And the touch controller install from Yuri via Telegram and TeamViewer (last step) was super simple and quick!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy to say that this is now successfully installed! Also getting with Philip to update the guide with helpful tips that I came across while installing....to prevent the mistakes I made initially lol. Much thanks to Philip for all this help!

And the touch controller install from Yuri via Telegram and TeamViewer (last step) was super simple and quick!

From my installation - this should help for pictures - to help clarify things! Hoping to have Philip replace on the instructions.

also, from his guide - for quick reference for ease of finding wires:

Wiring:
X5/1 and X5/2- ACC & 12V - Use the Lighter Port's dark Purple wire (only two wires are connected to this, one being dark purple and the other being black (ground)).**

X5/3 & X5/4 - to Ground - Use the Lighter Port's BLACK wire

shared photos - sine the attached photos aren't high quality enough: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PyjEHgrUGeeXfbUj9

Wire designation (2).jpg

Board picture.jpg

X5 - 9.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts