GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love auto-lock with the kids as it frees up my hands to carry the baby/kid and stuff.

However, the cars locks so rapidly (or when I get a at certain distance which is too close) that by the time K get to the truck to get my stuff, or the other side to get the second kid, the doors lock and the car beeps.

I feels it's annoying for the neighbors that everytime I get home my car horn beeps at least twice if not three times.

Is there a setting for that or do you have a trick aside from always leaving a door open until you are done around the car (not useful in very cold winter weather).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
But as soon as you're within proximity and you press a lock button, the car unlocks again. I don't see the issue other than beeping/honking which I believe is configurable. At least it is on ELR.

Edit: this may help. 2016 owner's manual pp31-32

"Temporarily disable the passive
locking by pressing and holding the button
on the interior door switch with a
door open for at least four seconds,
or until three chimes are heard.
Passive locking will then remain
disabled until the button on the interior door
is pressed, or until the vehicle is
turned on."

pp143
"Passive Door Lock
This allows passive locking to be
turned on or off and selects
feedback.
Select Off, On with Horn
Chirp, or On."

I believe that the On option will be silent.

·
Registered
364 Posts
But as soon as you're within proximity and you press a lock button, the car unlocks again. I don't see the issue other than beeping/honking which I believe is configurable. At least it is on ELR.

Edit: this may help. 2016 owner's manual pp31-32

"Temporarily disable the passive
locking by pressing and holding the button
on the interior door switch with a
door open for at least four seconds,
or until three chimes are heard.
Passive locking will then remain
disabled until the button on the interior door
is pressed, or until the vehicle is
turned on."

pp143
"Passive Door Lock
This allows passive locking to be
turned on or off and selects
feedback.
Select Off, On with Horn
Chirp, or On."

I believe that the On option will be silent.
Well I see the issue because I feel the same way the OP does. While I like the passive lock feature I feel it locks too fast as well. I can't get out, close the drivers door and walk around the car to the passenger side before the car locks "and honks". The horn chirp I believe can be turned off in settings so it is a non issue for the most part. But it seems to me that it would be much nicer if the auto locking feature was set up so that it would "not occur" unless.. all remotes get beyond a certain distance away from the car. Similar distance perhaps as required by the passive unlock buttons on each door handle "if so equipped". They will not function if the remote is some distance away from the car.

As it is I can be standing right next to the car and it will lock. I have even had the car relock while sitting in it with the remote accompanied by the horn honk if the ignition is not on. My Volt will lock anytime the car is shut off and any door is opened and closed even when the remote is in or near the car. IMHO it could have been done better by as I said, requiring that "all" remotes be out of passive range of the car before locking.

·
Registered
677 Posts
All the other cars I have had delayed the autolock (if enabled) until the car was moving 10 mph or so... I feel this is a much more intelligent and user friendly method! I have the same issue with the current system in that I have to remember to unlock the doors manually every time I back out of the driveway so that my wife can get in... And no, shifting in to Park each time is not an acceptable solution... It's simply a stupid design.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
And no, shifting in to Park each time is not an acceptable solution... It's simply a stupid design.
Any vehicle should be in 'park' for passenger ingress/egress.

I'm fine with the way ELR's passive locking works. It blinks the lights when it locks. I have the horn turned off.

There is way less delay for the trunk/hatch than my previous '13 Volt. Can easily be over-ridden with the keyfob buttons. For example, if my kid runs to the car, I just use the keyfob unlock so he doesn't have to wait for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
All the other cars I have had delayed the autolock (if enabled) until the car was moving 10 mph or so... I feel this is a much more intelligent and user friendly method! I have the same issue with the current system in that I have to remember to unlock the doors manually every time I back out of the driveway so that my wife can get in... And no, shifting in to Park each time is not an acceptable solution... It's simply a stupid design.
Not sure you are understanding what I mean (and what I understand the OP to be talking about) The auto or "passive" locking I'm referring to is when I stop the car turn it off and get out closing the door behind me. It occurs so fast that I don't have time to get to the passenger side to get out my briefcase etc. without having to unlock the car again. My case is slightly easier as I do have the lock unlock buttons on the door handles so as long as I have the remote it's not a Gi-Hugeic issue, more an annoyance. As far as auto locking when entering the car I could care less when that occurs be it on shifting into gear or some time after the car is moving.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ahh, sorry, no... I was referring to the autolock when you put the car in R, L or D...

Not sure you are understanding what I mean (and what I understand the OP to be talking about) The auto or "passive" locking I'm referring to is when I stop the car turn it off and get out closing the door behind me. It occurs so fast that I don't have time to get to the passenger side to get out my briefcase etc. without having to unlock the car again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure you are understanding what I mean (and what I understand the OP to be talking about) The auto or "passive" locking I'm referring to is when I stop the car turn it off and get out closing the door behind me. It occurs so fast that I don't have time to get to the passenger side to get out my briefcase etc. without having to unlock the car again. My case is slightly easier as I do have the lock unlock buttons on the door handles so as long as I have the remote it's not a Gi-Hugeic issue, more an annoyance. As far as auto locking when entering the car I could care less when that occurs be it on shifting into gear or some time after the car is moving.
Exactly.

By putting the horn off it's just a small annoyance of having to press the button again but I'd prefer to have the locking horn beep and have a delay or distance setting so that I can go around the car and open the kids door before it locks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Exactly.

By putting the horn off it's just a small annoyance of having to press the button again but I'd prefer to have the locking horn beep and have a delay or distance setting so that I can go around the car and open the kids door before it locks.

Since the RKE transmitter has an operational range limit (with regard to passive unlocking "being able to press the small button on any door handle to open") it seems like it would have been a no brainer to simply have the car lock when it no longer sees the transmitter within range. This way as long as you are near or about the vehicle it would remain unlocked until you walk away some 10-15-20? feet etc. in any direction. But I guess it's a dead horse lol! they did not see fit to do it. Perhaps on the "GenIII" if there is one, or the Bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts