GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at Epcot, 2x, the first time when we got off Test Track, I couldn't find the Volt, so I asked the Chevy Guy if the unloved step child was in the building. He first looked perplexed, but then I stated that the unloved step child was the Volt. He really got a kick out of it and said, Wow man, you nailed it!! He then directed me to the corner, all by its lonesome, and there it was.

Went a 2nd day, and met a Chevy Guy (while looking at the Bolt) that just happens to mention he was on the marketing team for the Volt. Needless to say the conversation went down hill very very quickly. Without being rude, I told him they had done a miserable job (insert anything here you wish as there marketing for the Volt has been horrendous) and that most people STILL didn't understand the Volt. He replied with they don't understand electrics in general. I corrected him (insert whatever) and explained that people understood the Bolt far better than any Volt. Anyway, he agreed that we should agree to disagree and that they had poured all kinds of money (marketing) into the Volt and he was very happy with how it had been marketed.

Geez GM, hire me...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
719 Posts
I've been enjoying all the TV ads and two page car mag speads on the new Honda Volt. OOps, I mean PEHV Clarity, lol.

·
Registered
950 Posts
While at Epcot, 2x, the first time when we got off Test Track, I couldn't find the Volt, so I asked the Chevy Guy if the unloved step child was in the building. He first looked perplexed, but then I stated that the unloved step child was the Volt. He really got a kick out of it and said, Wow man, you nailed it!! He then directed me to the corner, all by its lonesome, and there it was.
Well you're right about that - here are a couple pics that I took on last year's trip - the Bolt was right in the middle of the walkway headed to the exit (I was a bit surprised at that), and the Volt was there but was in the far left corner and definitely wasn't displayed prominently.

IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0243.jpg

·
Registered
277 Posts

Went a 2nd day, and met a Chevy Guy (while looking at the Bolt) that just happens to mention he was on the marketing team for the Volt. Needless to say the conversation went down hill very very quickly. Without being rude, I told him they had done a miserable job (insert anything here you wish as there marketing for the Volt has been horrendous) and that most people STILL didn't understand the Volt. He replied with they don't understand electrics in general. I corrected him (insert whatever) and explained that people understood the Bolt far better than any Volt. Anyway, he agreed that we should agree to disagree and that they had poured all kinds of money (marketing) into the Volt and he was very happy with how it had been marketed.

Geez GM, hire me...
You aren't wrong... I work with electrical and mechanical engineers and people I interact with for work frequently don't know the Volt has a gas engine. The other day I had a person ask me how far I can go on the battery. I replied about 45 miles in summer and 25-30 in the winter when it's really cold. He asked why I didn't consider the Leaf because of the better range, to which I said, "sometimes I need to be able to drive 200 miles round trip for work, so the Leaf wouldn't work for me". He was so confused until I told him the Volt had a gas engine that fundamentally works as a generator, and that I can just run it on gas. This is not an uncommon occurance for me, despite this car having been around for 7 years now!

·
Registered
483 Posts
The typical dealership reaction -Volt What ?-...no interest in pushing the electric car, a very sad situation considering GM is doing a great electrification effort... like in a horse race you do not want to get behind.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You aren't wrong... I work with electrical and mechanical engineers and people I interact with for work frequently don't know the Volt has a gas engine. The other day I had a person ask me how far I can go on the battery. I replied about 45 miles in summer and 25-30 in the winter when it's really cold. He asked why I didn't consider the Leaf because of the better range, to which I said, "sometimes I need to be able to drive 200 miles round trip for work, so the Leaf wouldn't work for me". He was so confused until I told him the Volt had a gas engine that fundamentally works as a generator, and that I can just run it on gas. This is not an uncommon occurance for me, despite this car having been around for 7 years now!
Last week I got asked at a gas station why I was "storing" gas in my car.

So many things are messed up. Marketing. Dealer sales. Dealer support. (At least in the SE US.)

If I had to buy a new car, I don't know whether to get another Volt or something traditional like the Cruze or Regal Tour X.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts