GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a look at the real deal yesterday. I was real excited about the Volt based on the concept design. Not so now. Way to kill a buzz! I think I've successfully removed myself from the waiting list.

·
Registered
200 Posts
All of this stupidity about the shape of the real car is incredibly frustrating. GM was very, VERY forthcoming about the fact that the concept design was aerodynamically inefficient, and it was clear from looking at the concept that it wasn't a packaging masterpiece either.

GM has taken the functional aspects of the concept and produced a car they can actually SELL that will also be one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles of its size available anywhere in the world, with ground-breaking technology for a mass-production vehicle. If that accomplishment doesn't seem significant to you and you'll just whine that it doesn't "look exciting" because of the practical, aerodynamically-driven shape changes from concept to production, go buy a car that "looks nice" and don't whine about what it costs you in gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a shame they had to make such an ugly car from such a promising concept.
Atleast as a sharp looking sport coupe part of the price could have been attributed to style. Can't imagine what type of people will plunk down 40-45k for a commuter! One less spot on the waiting list for those who still want to buy the ugly devil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably more than you would think, and I'm talking a pure EV. This car is much more than just a commuter car thanks to the range extender.
There's a South Park episode that is too frequently thrown around that fits the stereotype of who I imagine will be buying this car.

I can't find the article now but when the Honda Insight was released didn't it sell something like 1000 or 2000 units? Brand new technology, 70 mpg, ugly as sin, and it failed. Lots of people are struggling right now and assuming that you offload a $40k car on them based on fuel savings is pretty risky business.

There is one thing I can think of that would cause me to be optimistic for the Volt. If they manage to get 450+ horsepower out of that engine. Anything less and the new GTO proves my point.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I can't find the article now but when the Honda Insight was released didn't it sell something like 1000 or 2000 units? Brand new technology, 70 mpg, ugly as sin, and it failed. Lots of people are struggling right now and assuming that you offload a $40k car on them based on fuel savings is pretty risky business.
You don't think the fact that it was only a two-seater might figure into the low sales figures somehow? I couldn't even have considered a two-seat car - totally impractical for my family needs at that time. In the future, when I'm an "empty-nester" (will it EVER happen? :) ) maybe a two-seat vehicle could work. Oh, wait, nope. Forgot the dog. . . :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
You don't think the fact that it was only a two-seater might figure into the low sales figures somehow? I couldn't even have considered a two-seat car - totally impractical for my family needs at that time. In the future, when I'm an "empty-nester" (will it EVER happen? :) ) maybe a two-seat vehicle could work. Oh, wait, nope. Forgot the dog. . . :(

I'd prefer it to be a 2 seater. It's not like I ever use the back seats for anythng. I'd rather not have them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I liked the insight. I drove one, but it was really rough. haha, fun though. I got a kick out of it, and it was so efficient for what I would have needed. I was unable to find one to buy though, and then they discontinued it. :(

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why pick on people who are frustrated? Why does a company promise customers a Corvette and in return delivery a Ford Pinto? It's like apples to oranges. It's not even the same product. I'm just highly let down that they get you excited about an electric sports cars and in return deliver a 4 door family sedan. I call it false adverstising...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why pick on people who are frustrated? Why does a company promise customers a Corvette and in return delivery a Ford Pinto? It's like apples to oranges. It's not even the same product. I'm just highly let down that they get you excited about an electric sports cars and in return deliver a 4 door family sedan. I call it false adverstising...
I'm happy to see all the activity here but to be honest I find it a little curious that all of complaints on the production design of the Volt are from people with between 10 and 1 posts. Is some sort of anti-Volt campaign going on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a look at the real deal yesterday. I was real excited about the Volt based on the concept design. Not so now. Way to kill a buzz! I think I've successfully removed myself from the waiting list.
I agree ! I will remove myself from the wait list as well (I will not buy the car).
I think GM should reconsider the production model. But we all know that it was the plan from the start, and the concept car was a trick to get people interested. Why can't GM see that giving the people what they want WILL sell more cars ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm happy to see all the activity here but to be honest I find it a little curious that all of complaints on the production design of the Volt are from people with between 10 and 1 posts. Is some sort of anti-Volt campaign going on?
Seeing the photos jolted me enough to make my thoughts public. Likely the same with everyone who was excited about a GM made electric sports car and saw the old family car in the pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not anymore

My wife and I were planning our next purchase based off of the concept car. I had never purchased a Chevy before and this would be our first. After viewing the production model I can safely say I still won't be in a Chevy. I was very excited about this. I am only 39 and have two children and feel like I still want stylish. This car in prototype was very hot looking and I was more than willing to pay the estimated 30k for a great looking car that was great for the enviroment. Not anymore! It looks like every other economy car on the market. I will wait for someone to get the right combination of style, fuel savings and price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I think it is anti-volt !!!! Clearly everyone is upset about being part of the Bait and Switch play by GM! The car is never going to keep GM out in front ! Which is where they need to be. However the concept car would have been a homerun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disgusting & Disappointing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree ! I will remove myself from the wait list as well,
(I will not buy the car).
I think GM should reconsider the production model. But we all know that it was the plan from the start, and the concept car was a trick to get people interested. Why can't GM see that giving the people what they want WILL sell more cars ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have none of you ever seen a concept car before? Occasionally there's a "show car" that's basically a production-ready design, and RARELY is there a car like the Solstice that is shown for buzz factor that actually makes it into production in nearly-show-car form, but there are always LOTS of show cars that are far out and won't be produced in that form.

Yes, the Volt Concept was radical and has a unique look. No, that unique look wouldn't translate well to a real-world car that needs to sell lots of units. Compare how many Solstices you see with the number of G6s you see. Then compare the number of G6s to the number of Camrys or Accords you see. HUGE number of people buy fairly generic cars that are efficient and a "good buy." I think GM has a bigger challenge with the pricing on this one than whether the production design will attract buyers, if they take the Lutz number of $40k per, it's history before the first one hits a showroom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts