GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my Volt in last Friday to get a creaking/crunching noise from the rear issue checked out, since GM was offering to cover the diagnostic fee. They ultimately couldn't reproduce the noise (I couldn't even reproduce it that day...I'll blame the rainy weather). Of course after I took my Volt back and the rain stopped, the creaking sound came back. :rolleyes:

I did get a chance to drive around with one of the dealership's Volt techs. Not sure how big the dealership is in comparison to others (locally owned Chevy/GMC/Buick dealership with ~400 new cars on the lot), but the tech I rode around with was 1 of 2 Volt techs they had. I'm in MD, so they have sold a decent number of Volts over the years.

I asked him about how many Volts they get in each month for service, and he said they really don't see that many Volts because they rarely need service. He also said he was eagerly waiting for the Bolt EV to be released, as that interested him a lot.

Based off the NASCAR hat he was wearing and demeanor, I really doubt he was some tree hugging, save the environment type, FWIW. He asked me what I thought of my '12 Volt, and I told him I've been completely satisfied with it over the last 3 1/2 years, and he was pretty impressed when I said about 85% of the miles I've logged have been electric. He told me to bring in my Volt if the creaking sound came back, and they wouldn't charge another diagnostic fee.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents about my recent service visit.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My 2013 has made a "creaking" sound emanating from the right rear, couldn't be duplicated by bouncing the car on the shocks but only when driving and making a right turn that would "unload" the right rear suspension. I took it in three times before my dealer was able to duplicate and find the cause. Wasn't too bad in the summer when it was warm and it never made a peep when wet. But COLD and DRY and it sounded like an old bed spring.

Turns out there are some rubber bushing in the rear suspension that needed to be lubed. He said they had to disassemble a few parts to get at the bushings. So far so good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I took my Volt in last Friday to get a creaking/crunching noise from the rear issue checked out, since GM was offering to cover the diagnostic fee. They ultimately couldn't reproduce the noise (I couldn't even reproduce it that day...I'll blame the rainy weather). Of course after I took my Volt back and the rain stopped, the creaking sound came back. :rolleyes:

I did get a chance to drive around with one of the dealership's Volt techs. Not sure how big the dealership is in comparison to others (locally owned Chevy/GMC/Buick dealership with ~400 new cars on the lot), but the tech I rode around with was 1 of 2 Volt techs they had. I'm in MD, so they have sold a decent number of Volts over the years.

I asked him about how many Volts they get in each month for service, and he said they really don't see that many Volts because they rarely need service. He also said he was eagerly waiting for the Bolt EV to be released, as that interested him a lot.

Based off the NASCAR hat he was wearing and demeanor, I really doubt he was some tree hugging, save the environment type, FWIW. He asked me what I thought of my '12 Volt, and I told him I've been completely satisfied with it over the last 3 1/2 years, and he was pretty impressed when I said about 85% of the miles I've logged have been electric. He told me to bring in my Volt if the creaking sound came back, and they wouldn't charge another diagnostic fee.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents about my recent service visit.
Slightly off topic here, but it does relate. When I had my Ford Fusion Hybrid, it had a brake that was occasionally screaming (man, was it sharp and loud). The tech wanted me to ride with him to recreate it. I couldn't. After about 30-40 minutes of trying, we gave up. He inspected it anyway and just wasn't sure. As he drove it out around the building to return it to me, on his last stop, SCREEEEAAAACCCHHHHH, it screamed. He was tickled to death and so was I. He explained that I had an imperfection on the brake pad and to get the car up to about 65 MPH and bury the brake pedal (in a safe place of course) and that would burn it off. I did that. It never screamed again. There was no charge and this tech earned my respect in a major way.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 2013 has made a "creaking" sound emanating from the right rear, couldn't be duplicated by bouncing the car on the shocks but only when driving and making a right turn that would "unload" the right rear suspension. I took it in three times before my dealer was able to duplicate and find the cause. Wasn't too bad in the summer when it was warm and it never made a peep when wet. But COLD and DRY and it sounded like an old bed spring.

Turns out there are some rubber bushing in the rear suspension that needed to be lubed. He said they had to disassemble a few parts to get at the bushings. So far so good.

Good luck.
My 2013 does this too! Only when making an "unloaded" right turn as well. I rode with a tech and he said he couldn't hear it. The only difference is mine seems to happen more in summer than winter. Do you have your service order from this repair? Might help me convince my tech to do something if I can point him to a specific area of the suspension.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My 2013 does this too! Only when making an "unloaded" right turn as well. I rode with a tech and he said he couldn't hear it. The only difference is mine seems to happen more in summer than winter. Do you have your service order from this repair? Might help me convince my tech to do something if I can point him to a specific area of the suspension.
I'll post it when I get home from work this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had a Toyota Rav4 that had a rattle that was really hard to pin down. It sounded like it was coming from the right quarter panel in front of the passenger, so the tech pulled the cover piece off and couldn't find a thing. The lead tech and the service manager got involved because all 4 of us could hear the rattle when we were driving around, but we couldn't figure out what was causing the rattling sound from the outside of the front seat passenger foot well.
Finally there were 5 of us looking at the danged car and another tech walks up, asks what is up and when we told him about the rattle, he said, "Your roof rack has a loose butterfly nut." We all were like, "No, the sound is coming from down here."
Long story, but he was right, the rattle sound transmitted down the A Pillar and it made it sound like the problem was down low. Tightened the roof rack butterfly nut and the rattle went away.
It is funny now, but it was irritating as he** when it was happening.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Nice post today about good techs at your dealers. My local GM dealer and their service department treat me and my wife as "special customers" every time we come in for a checkup or any problems with our 2009 Chevy Equinox. Up to now after six years, it had only three problems (two wheel sensors and one spark plug) and all three were handled splendidly, all fixed at no cost to us (covered by factory warranty) except the time waiting at the dealship, which I use to stroll over to the sales lot and study the new cars.

The salesmen I have spoken with want to sell any GM car, including the Volt, so I hope the regional GM office does allow my dealer (Caribbean Auto) to sell the Bolt EV next year.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Do you have your service order from this repair? Might help me convince my tech to do something if I can point him to a specific area of the suspension.
Here you go. Hope this helps. But as I said so far my suspension is quiet. Fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts