GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we,wife and step son, returned from a 299.5 mile round trip to Lacy Washington via Interstate Hwy. 5. Our 2016 Volt instrument panel stated we went 58 miles, (14.4 KWH) on electricity and 241.5 miles on gas, used 5.35 gals.

Voltstats.net stated we went 66.8 miles on electricity on this trip of 299.5 and used 5.35477 in gas. Anyone else notice this difference as well with their Volt with more miles on electric than the computer readout in their car?

·
Registered
718 Posts
The stats at Myvolt.com have been erratic at best.

Right now it reports our 2017 has 5500 miles total when we actually have almost 7000, and everything else is like that.

If anything, it seems to be getting worse over time

·
Registered
968 Posts
Last night we,wife and step son, returned from a 299.5 mile round trip to Lacy Washington via Interstate Hwy. 5. Our 2016 Volt instrument panel stated we went 58 miles, (14.4 KWH) on electricity and 241.5 miles on gas, used 5.35 gals.

Voltstats.net stated we went 66.8 miles on electricity on this trip of 299.5 and used 5.35477 in gas. Anyone else notice this difference as well with their Volt with more miles on electric than the computer readout in their car?
Were there another 8 miles of EV driving that ocurred during the volt stat reporting cycle. If you go into your settings on voltstats, look to see when it pulls data from the car, then you might get your answer.

I dont follow voltststs too closely, but I remember some posts where people were confused becuase voltstats pulled data from car at a time that a forum member didnt expect. Like he was driving late the night before and didnt think to consider that EV miles. One he figured out when the data was pulled from the car, then it all made sense. Anyway, that might be one possibility. Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Could it possibly be that the extra 8.8 miles were those due/attributable to regen while running the ICE?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Could it possibly be that the extra 8.8 miles were those due/attributable to regen while running the ICE?
It is my understanding that any regen on ICE will not be counted as EV miles. So there has to be another explanation.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Wait for the next update and see if the missing data isn't recovered.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Were you using Hold during the drive to save battery for the slow speed driving parts of the trip? Braking regen can increase the soc, and if the "on the fly" computer soc estimate determines the soc to be above the "hold" point when you switch back to Normal, the battery miles are recorded on the dash as gas miles until the soc has dropped back to the "hold " soc. Perhaps when you then stopped long enough for the computer to gather additional data to refine the soc estimate, the computer determined that some of those "battery" gas miles during your trip should actually have been credited to electric miles, and that’s what the computer transmitted to Voltstats.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I was using hold mode as I wanted to keep 20 miles of electric in reserve for city driving and heavy traffic. I'm still quite impressed how much more efficient our 2016 Volt is over our 2014 Volt that we traded in, when using both electric mode and gas mode.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes, for some reason Hold Mode confuses voltstats. I haven't noticed this discrepancy in EV miles, but it seems to under report the CS mpg's by up to 10% compared with the car readout. (The car readout agrees with the old school miles/gallons I get when calculating it from gallons put in the tank.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
The API change on Voltstats basically kicked out all (most?) Canadian Volts for the month of July. We could not reactivate it. Consequently, my July figures show less than 100mi for the whole month when it should be closer to 1800 with one day alone being more than 120mi on electric.

They dont seem bothered which is somewhat annoying for a site that is basically statistics oriented.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts