GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had Engine Maintenance Mode (EMM) #16. I use my VoltStats data to calculate the amount of gasoline used by dividing total miles by MPG.

From my last VoltStats update before the EMM I had 42,111.58 miles with 3,036.37 MPG which works out to 13.869 gallons.

According to my Volt I used 0.07 gallons, however, the update after the EMM reported 42,134.39 miles with 3,038.01 MPG which also works out to 13.869 gallons.

I calculated all 16 EMMs, except for one that occurred when VoltStats was unavailable during 10/21/2012. One other time, it also calculated out to 0 gallons used, even though gasoline was used. Is this a bug in reporting of gasoline used, or something else?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
There is a line in the movie Mindhunters to cover this...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sampling could be it. The amount of gas used is so small that it could be a rounding error. Not sure how accurately the Volt measures the amount of gas used, vs the amount of gas in the tank before and after.

OnStar's telematics does not pay attention to significant figures nor is there consistency in handling and presenting the data. I have taken the advice of others here and just drive the damn car. :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sampling could be it. The amount of gas used is so small that it could be a rounding error.
13 of the 15 EMMs the data from OnStar seems to match up. Gas used generally ranges from 0.03 to 0.06 gallons. This is not that small of an amount to pick up. The Volt measures distances to the ten thousandth of a mile I believe, so it should be able to measure gasoline burned for a 10 minute EMM. Anyway, it did measure 0.07 gallons on the Energy usage screen, just not in the OnStar data.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you are sitting still during EMM the car does not calculate as gas miles as it does when you are driving during EMM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts