GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
RDO CA.....

Those temps sound way too hot. I am getting temps in the 100 to 115 range, depending on location being measured, using an infrared temp sensor. That is with none of the cord coiled on the unit, most of it is on the ground. Ambient weather temps are in the 60 (night) to 75 (day) range at my house.

I noticed months ago that if you wrap most of the cable around the unit, the unit gets much hotter during charging. I didn't measure those hot temps, so I don't know how hot it actually got, but it was very noticeable. I don't plan on repeating it just to measure it.

Ken. # 1228

·
Registered
144 Posts
He did replace it and checked wire size and connections --all ok--I had my cord replaced today and the new one runs hotter than before--almost 180deg on cord on coil--cord by plug 160--recpt---166---face of unit by lites 153

Roy #272

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just pulled all the cord off the reel and the cord runs much cooler but the center of the reel still runs very hot and the short piece of the cord plugged in the receptical and plug stays very hot. I think something inside the reel is creating the heat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just recieved the 3rd 120v charge cord and this one runs much cooler then the first 2. I measured up to 177 deg with the first 2 and this one is about 30 deg cooler. Mine did not discolor as bad as some posted here and the plug did not melt as bad so if I had 177deg they must have been higher.

Roy #272

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I checked my 120V charge cord (which I've used every day for 6 months) and found no discoloration. Having read this thread, it did occur to me to remove the mounting plate, which I don't use since my housing hangs freely from a peg-board hook. There is some free air space behind the charge-cord housing, so now the cord will be exposed directly to this free air rather than trapped inside of a plastic mounting plate.

My second charge cord travels with my Volt at all times, and gets occasional (rare) use.

So far so good with both charge cords.

Chris
Volt #541
Berwyn, PA

·
4,885 Posts
Just recieved the 3rd 120v charge cord and this one runs much cooler then the first 2. I measured up to 177 deg with the first 2 and this one is about 30 deg cooler. Mine did not discolor as bad as some posted here and the plug did not melt as bad so if I had 177deg they must have been higher.

Roy #272
Just curious, is the wire gauge going from the outlet to the charger larger with this third cord?

I don't have much discoloration, but when my Volt is charging on the 120V charger in moderate temperatures, I can literally burn my fingers on the outlet prongs if I unplug the charger and touch them... and the 12 inches of cord going from the charger to the wall is also extremely hot, but that part doesn't burn me.

Worst case, I worry about this being a potential fire hazard... Best case, I worry that this smaller wire gauge is charging less efficiently because of those resistive/heat losses.

It would be nice if we could swap these older charging cords for newer ones with larger gauge wire from the EVSE to the outlet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think it is possible that the heat from the prongs conduct back down the cable and overheats the circuit board as well as makes the cable so hot. It seems that if the socket is not putting adequate pressure on the prongs, at 12 amps the contact resistance would be high and the IR dissipation is part of the heating problem. Assume .5 ohm and you get 144*.5=72 watts. Is that possible? Or maybe the connection in plug if it crimpt connection will also add to the problem.
Lest VIN 567

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Try running a hair dryer for 5 minutes, and then touching (carefully) the copper prongs on the plug. Yikes. The Volt is not different than any other high amperage electrical device.

As to efficiency loss during charging, it's all about heat loss. Lost energy almost always goes to waste heat. This is one reason why charging at 240V is more efficient than charging at 120V. There is less time generating waste heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What was happening to me was the charger got so hot it start shutting down it would completely shut down until it cooled once cooled then the green lights would come on and work till it would get to hot again. And we all know what happens then! As soon as it would lose power the horn of the car goes off, and it always seemed to happen in the middle of the night... I took it to the dealership and they let me try one from the Demo car it has been working like a charm. The dealership said they ordered me a new one but that was 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What was happening to me was the charger got so hot it start shutting down it would completely shut down until it cooled once cooled then the green lights would come on and work till it would get to hot again. And we all know what happens then! As soon as it would lose power the horn of the car goes off, and it always seemed to happen in the middle of the night... I took it to the dealership and they let me try one from the Demo car it has been working like a charm. The dealership said they ordered me a new one but that was 2 weeks ago.
Assuming you are referring to a 120V charge cord, I suggest checking out the wall recepticle that you are plugging into. On this forum we have seen some nasty pictures of old recepticles that make poor electical contact, and result in high temperatures. Maybe having a professional electrician install a new high-quality 120V recepticle will help?

3,608 Posts
What dealer are you working with Rand33099? Send me a PM with your information. I'd be more than happy to help and find out what is going on with the cord.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am referring to the 120V charger, the power cord itself was not that hot what I meant was the charger itself would shut down internally.We could replicate this at the dealership on the Demo and there power outlet as soon as the charger was under a load. My new one came in monday and works great so far. I know I really didn't explain this in the first post

Thanks
Randy

21 - 32 of 32 Posts