GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of the car sites/mag's predicted that BMW would announce a BEV 3-Series with high range to compete with Tesla's model 3 but what they really announced is this concept that is so hyper-futuristic that I've lost hope: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...concept-previews-all-electric-four-door-sedan

Ugh.

I was really hoping they would have a 3 Series that looked like every other 3 Series, not some starship looking thing that is more "visionary" than real-world and is not going to be sold for 3 more years.

Lame

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
BMW cannot compete with TM3 of Tesla. They can't get their prices any lower than their inferior performing BMW 3 series. Only their fans would allow themselves to be fleeced out by BMW. It is basically a brand for higher prices for an inferior performance compared to TM3.

The inexpensive Tesla Model 3 is cheaper than any of the BMW 3 series and yet has superior performance with better high tech brand name.

Tesla will wipe them out if they can't lower their prices to match the price and performance of TM3. After all, Tesla is now recognized as a luxury brand, eating BMW's lunch at BMW's house!

https://electrek.co/2017/09/14/tesla-model-3-wipe-out-bmw-3-series-sales-investor/

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
when are they going to remove that ugly looking facia on front of each BMW? It seems like a super fat infinity symbol that makes it very ugly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aesthetics are subjective. Personally, I much prefer the look of the BWM 3-Series to any Tesla, especially the TM3 which I find to have a very ugly "chin". Then again, I like the looks of Honda's Clarity PHEV and I'm in the minority there too so what do I know! ;)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
It's a concept. Concepts are quirky to provoke a reaction.

Ignore the look and focus on any other information.
I know...I'm still waiting on GM to deliver the Firebird II...:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMW cannot compete with TM3 of Tesla. They can't get their prices any lower than their inferior performing BMW 3 series. Only their fans would allow themselves to be fleeced out by BMW. It is basically a brand for higher prices for an inferior performance compared to TM3.

The inexpensive Tesla Model 3 is cheaper than any of the BMW 3 series and yet has superior performance with better high tech brand name.

Tesla will wipe them out if they can't lower their prices to match the price and performance of TM3. After all, Tesla is now recognized as a luxury brand, eating BMW's lunch at BMW's house!

https://electrek.co/2017/09/14/tesla-model-3-wipe-out-bmw-3-series-sales-investor/
Be careful, though, about saying Tesla is eating anybody's lunch until they actually start turning a profit, The TM3 is still not shipping in volume and initial build quality is not something Tesla has been known for.

Tesla also is still not profitable yet while BMW seems to be able to nearly print money - it could be that they (and other automakers) are hoping Tesla runs out of cash before becoming profitable. Tesla's growth is nothing to sneeze at though so they might actually start making money in a couple more years... maybe.

Also, on paper, the TM3 is cheaper than a similarly spec'ed 330i at $35k vs ~$43k MSRP but there's 2 problems with that comparison: 1. The only TM3's being shipped right now are the long range+premium models which cost $49k and, 2. BMW sells through dealers which often discount. There's a good article on this comparison here: https://electrek.co/2017/07/31/tesla-model-3-vs-bmw-3-series/

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... I also hate with a passion the TM3 dash. I dislike my gen 1 Volt center console because of the lack of tactile buttons - everything controlled by a screen and having to look to the center to check speed and such? No thank you.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Fanbois square off...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Firebird II driving autonomously:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
LOL - too many things to laugh about here to mention them all. You just have to watch it.

See if you can spot the slot cars.
Firebird I makes a cameo too.

I'd love to know who the actors were. Especially the gal at the 'Sunset Inn'.

I'm convinced that some of OnStars designers must have been influenced by this film.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Looks like they had a Bing Crosby stand in for the dad.

I don't know much about turbine engines but did it seem strange to anyone else that the intake temperature was like 1450 degrees and the exhaust temp was 350 degrees?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
LOL - too many things to laugh about here to mention them all. You just have to watch it.

See if you can spot the slot cars.
LOL, the "Future"... 1976

Notice that the landscape they travel through is a desert wasteland? I wonder if this was due to the expectation that we would have had an all our nuclear war by 1976?

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looks like they had a Bing Crosby stand in for the dad.

I don't know much about turbine engines but did it seem strange to anyone else that the intake temperature was like 1450 degrees and the exhaust temp was 350 degrees?
Nope, a turbine engine (much like a turbocharger) converts the heat energy from the combustion of fuel into mechanical energy of rotation. In a large scale combustion turbine some of the energy is derived from the pressure difference across the turbine, but the majority is the conversion of heat to torque. A turbocharger gets more of it's energy from the pressure difference than a combustion turbine, but it still gets a significant portion of its energy from the heat energy in the exhaust stream. Any car with a turbo actually has much lower exhaust temperature at the tailpipe under full load than a non-turbo car of the same power level and exhaust system length.

Keith

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Notice that the landscape they travel through is a desert wasteland? I wonder if this was due to the expectation that we would have had an all our nuclear war by 1976?
Nope, it's just California. You see that landscape in a lot of things including the original Star Trek series.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts