GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my '12 to a dealer I'd been to twice before, and was informed they no longer had a Volt Tech on staff. They'd had the one, and he left. I'm assuming it was just a rough patch, and they'll have a new Tech on staff soon, but it made me wonder. Are Volt Techs being de-prioritized by dealerships?

Has anyone else had trouble finding a shop with a certified Volt Tech?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
My dealer of 7 years seems to also have lost or decided to not sell or service Volts.

The service manger did tell me who in the area did have Volt tech's

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Talk to Cadillac dealerships, see if they still have techs.
I totally gave up on my "regular" Chevy dealership and started using a Caddy place that is a bit further away.... but totally worth it!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Luckily, my dealer still has a Volt tech, who just happened to change the three way coolant valve last week.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I wouldn't know about this. I haven't been there for any service other than an oil change in years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wouldn't know about this. I haven't been there for any service other than an oil change in years.
^ I think this is the challenge. There's not a lot for GM EV techs to do and their skills are now highly marketable to other brand/dealers who are getting into EV's.

I expect things will be thinner over the next few years as techs with these skills get poached and dealers don't see the demand to invest in more people/training. (Particularly when these people might just get stolen away by Tesla, Porsche, et al.)

·
Registered
194 Posts
My dealer of 7 years seems to also have lost or decided to not sell or service Volts.

The service manger did tell me who in the area did have Volt tech's
I found out that Reliable in Richardson is no longer selling Volts, but they supposedly still had a Volt tech in August when I had mine in for an oil change. Who was your dealer, and what dealers were identified as still have Volt techs?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
^ I think this is the challenge. There's not a lot for GM EV techs to do and their skills are now highly marketable to other brand/dealers who are getting into EV's.

I expect things will be thinner over the next few years as techs with these skills get poached and dealers don't see the demand to invest in more people/training. (Particularly when these people might just get stolen away by Tesla, Porsche, et al.)
Volt techs don't just work on Volts. It's not like they sit around sipping coffee and watching other models being worked on by someone else.

I imagine that they're more valuable to dealerships committed to selling Volts (like my dealership), though I don't know if it means higher pay. Still, if you were an ASE tech and the training were offered, wouldn't you take it?

The term "Volt tech" is a bit of a misnomer really. They're ASE certified techs with additional Volt-specific training.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm waiting for a good EV specialty shop to open up near me. Imagine an independent shop with techs that know all about EV's and hybrids--all makes and models. Maybe someday...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
------------------
Dallas area volt tech : Friendly Chevrolet of Dallas, TX
Plan to check them out soon
------------------

There are some special items needed for Volt service ( battery cooleant fluid vacuum system ) for the 5 year coolent replacement.

High voltage gloves :)

No idea if there is extra software fees to cover the Volts electronics boards testing and re-programming.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I imagine that they're more valuable to dealerships committed to selling Volts (like my dealership), though I don't know if it means higher pay. Still, if you were an ASE tech and the training were offered, wouldn't you take it?

The term "Volt tech" is a bit of a misnomer really. They're ASE certified techs with additional Volt-specific training.
I've never expected "Volt Techs" get training materially different than any other EV technician. It may mean better career mobility, which could translate into better pay. I've also wondered if some of the EV work crosses into the "electrical" domain which generally pulls higher hourly shop rates?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some closure to the saga...
My problem turned out to be a dead 12v battery. It was only 11 months old, and the dealer I started with was the installer. They honored the warranty of 12 months so I paid nothing for the experience, other than car rental. (While they put my car in line to wait for the Volt Tech at a different dealer).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Some closure to the saga...
My problem turned out to be a dead 12v battery. It was only 11 months old, and the dealer I started with was the installer. They honored the warranty of 12 months so I paid nothing for the experience, other than car rental. (While they put my car in line to wait for the Volt Tech at a different dealer).
This is a common story that keeps coming up. These "installers" charge these 12V batteries like a normal battery (which is bad) and run them as they put them in the car.

I wonder if they did this to yours or if it really had an internal short? A lot of the other members here who have had this happen to them have had problems right after delivery.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a common story that keeps coming up. These "installers" charge these 12V batteries like a normal battery (which is bad) and run them as they put them in the car.

I wonder if they did this to yours or if it really had an internal short? A lot of the other members here who have had this happen to them have had problems right after delivery.
I hadn't had any battery problems until last November. Miscellaneous other issues, but not the 12v. But I do think there might be an underlying issue that is negated by being charged every night. The 6 days in the parking garage this month was the longest Igor has sat unplugged.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would expect that there is special training and "certifications" available to techs that want to specialize on Volts and or Bolts and other EV's. It would be nice if there were a source to find out where these techs are working. I am not sure that I would trust most dealers to provide such info....though it would be a feather in their cap IF they were looking forward to getting the service work for vehicles that other dealers prefer not to work on. My experience as a marine mechanic specializing in Mercury Outboards is that some dealers didn't want to mess with either very old engines, or in some cases 2 strokes in general. And I am pretty sure that today's dealers, be it auto or marine, are spending a lot of money sending their techs to training schools and upgrading their shop tools all the time. One thing about auto that is different than marine, independent shops can still send their techs to factory training schools, something that most marine mechanics did not have access to unless you worked for a franchised dealership.
I do wonder if at some time in the future, when most vehicles are pure EV's, they may be more like owning a smartphone.....in that when it quits working you trade it in for another upgraded model and you continue to make monthly payments forever :).......

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I would think a fair amount of training would be the safety aspect. You know, dragging the body away with the hook, etc.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That is an excellent point, especially with the high voltage danger potential of EV's.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I hadn't had any battery problems until last November. Miscellaneous other issues, but not the 12v. But I do think there might be an underlying issue that is negated by being charged every night.
Maybe. I have an AGM battery in another car that is getting long in the tooth and it struggles to hold a charge over time, but if I keep using it - all is well.

I would expect that there is special training and "certifications" available to techs that want to specialize on Volts and or Bolts and other EV's.
I would have hoped the same for every other car nameplate I've ever owned. But sadly, these certifications don't exist, the dealer "mechanics" still don't read the manufacturer's own repair procedures, and my cars always get screwed up (bolts missing, bolts put back in the wrong places, seals missing, plastic tabs broken, etc.)

I would expect any dealer EV certification is more about safety and general concepts/techniques applicable to all EV's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts