GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new-to-me 2014 Gen1 still has an active Sirius subscription from the prior owner. I use the USB for my MP3s, but because the 'radio' is on to play the stick's files, the Sirius weather alerts for every thunder cloud in a 150 mile radius pop-up across the bottom of the center stack display like the cumulo-nimbus clouds themselves.
I've tried de-selecting the weather alerts as a group, individually, and also individually and followed by the group deactivation. I've also tried leaving just one active. No matter, within a day or so all are selected back to active, and the group selection is ON. I turn them off again, but within a day all are back on.
I've performed the RTFM and not found any additional steps needed to lock my selection in the OFF state.
I've tried the radio's factory re-set, the Sirius update check, kind of hoping the prior owner had gotten around to cancelling the subscription, but no success there either.

Are there additional steps needed to confirm, AND LOCK, the de-selection of weather alerts?

finally, if this thread would be better if placed in a different category because this issue isn't Chevy or Volt specific, more of a Sirius/XM issue, please have the moderators move it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I've tried the radio's factory re-set, the Sirius update check, kind of hoping the prior owner had gotten around to cancelling the subscription, but no success there either.

Are there additional steps needed to confirm, AND LOCK, the de-selection of weather alerts?

If you are no longer interested in rx XM or wx alerts, simply disconnecting the XM antenna connector (detailed above) off the rear of the radio will resolve this issue!:cool:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
How would one get in there to disconnect the antenna? I get weather alerts too that I could do without.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
How would one get in there to disconnect the antenna? I get weather alerts too that I could do without.

Total 6 bolts to remove in order to access rear of the A11 radio shown above...

Otherwise, you could remove the headliner and then disconnect from the antenna side!;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the dealer had provided a complementary trial without my being aware. Trial ends soon.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's quite a bit of hassle. Not really worth it unless you're going in there for something else.

Turns out the dealer had provided a complementary trial without my being aware. Trial ends soon.
That's not a long term solution. XM does rolling trials - it will appear again.
At least you have an option to disable them, even if it's not working at the moment.
We in Canada do not have this option. The weather alerts we receive are also not for Canada. Whenever a trial period comes up, I receive alerts about flooding, thunderstorms, etc in Erie/Niagara county.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I receive alerts about flooding, thunderstorms, etc in Erie/Niagara county.
I also get these Erie/Niagara alerts and wondered why ... glad I'm not the only one. Are you just living with them like I have until now? Not sure there's a way to remove them or at least change to the proper area.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I also get these Erie/Niagara alerts and wondered why ... glad I'm not the only one. Are you just living with them like I have until now? Not sure there's a way to remove them or at least change to the proper area.
Yeah same here. Always know when there is a free trial and I pray the damn thing ends soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
As a company, Sirius must feel they've completely missed the mark when people are considering disabling their factory equipment just to get away from what they're giving away for free! :confused:

Not much chance for any future sales there!

Don

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah same here. Always know when there is a free trial and I pray the damn thing ends soon.
Yes, I just press the ignore button every time they pop up and hope the trial ends soon.
There is no way to disable it on a Canadian model. Even if you ask the dealer.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
if you put a small amount of metal tape over the correct top spot in the roof antenna base that may work.

There should be 2 patch antenna's inside the plastic base cover ( one is GPS other XM ?) they are in front of the whip toward the front.

When I took one apart could not tell which was gps or mx.

Just do not block the GPS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts