GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how to keep a 2014+ Volt powered on indefinitely? Evidently in 2014 GM added code to turn the car off after 150 minutes of inactivity.

In some situations (working in the car, camping, using it with an inverter, etc) it would be nice to keep it powered up without having to restart it every two hours.

I'm not sure if this is something that the dealer could do with the software or this is hardwired in the new software.

Edit: There are two known solutions.

Solution 1: Somms discovered that keeping the brake pedal depressed works.
[Note: Bentbiker questioned the safety of keeping the brake pressure booster activated for hours on end. Use carefully.]

Solution 2: I found, after more experimentation, that simply clamping the shift lever button closed (as if you were going to shift out of park) will also keep the car powered up.

For the cost of a $6 clamp, you can keep a 2014+ Volt powered on indefinitely.

Step-by-step instructions:
  1. Turn the Volt Off.
  2. Plug in the EVSE (the charger) and wait for the acknowledgement honk and solid green charge light.
  3. Press the brake petal and push the Power button to power up the car like normal. A message will display alerting you that the charge cable is connected and the Volt will prohibit you from shifting out of park.
  4. The lights may auto-on if dark. If so, simply switch them off on the stalk like normal.
  5. Clamp the shift lever button closed (as if you were going to shift out of park).
  6. Enjoy unlimited AC/Heat/Radio/12v Accessory power while your Volt continues to charge. Perfect for camping, mobile office, using with an inverter.
[Note: If you are somewhere without power available, the Volt keep running until the traction battery is depleted. Once the traction battery is depleted, the Volt will cycle the engine on for a few minutes to recharge as needed. This will continue until you are out of gas. You can use Mountain Mode to charge up the battery if you know you are going to be without power at your destination. Half a battery will get you through the night with the A/C running and still have power to spare.]

Edit 2: Substitute a rubber band for the clamp (Thanks Loboc).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Does anyone know how to keep a 2014+ powered on indefinitely? Evidently in 2014 GM added code to turn the car off after 150 minutes of inactivity.

In some situations (working the car, camping, using it with an inverter, etc) it would be nice to keep it powered up without having to restart it every two hours.

I'm not sure if this is something that the dealer could do with the software or this is hardwired in the new software.

FWIW: There is a very low-tech solution to the auto-off feature on the 2014+ Volts!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Interesting. I remember being called foolish around 1.5 years ago discussing the potential issues with leaving the car on a bleeding down into the gas engine. Looks like GM didn't think that was foolish at all.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Someone posted on Facebook about his situation. He or wife came home. Plugged car in and went in the house. Apparently, the car was still running when plugged in with perhaps a depleted battery. So, the car didn't start charging and rather kept running, every few minutes it would start up to charge the battery. His CO alarm went off hours later and apparently the car was "hot" and had run off and on through the night. So, the auto off feature is a safety solution to that. I do know that to get into that situation, you have to be pretty distracted to not turn the car off when getting out. No horn beeps occur when plugging it in so it may be easy for someone chasing a toddler around to be not paying attention. If the car had lots of HVAC turned on, the number of engine cycles would be more than if climate controls or seat heater were turned off. In a dark garage, headlights would also drain the 12V faster and that means more cycles.

I kept my Volt on the other night waiting on my daughter at a concert. No headlights, just radio and a phone plugged in for recharging. The engine came on once for 3 minutes over the course of about an hour or more.

Now, the story about the guy and garage explains a bonehead situation but the 150 minute auto off seems to make sense to lower the incidents of bonehead moves. The guy noted above got GM to buy the Volt back. Yet another example of someone not taking responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
There should be a way to keep Volt in a V2H configuration. Just not accidentally. At the same time, the car should protect her systems so that the main function, transportation, is always available.

GM must have done some software update to keep the 12v system operational. There haven't been recent reports of 'dead' Volts lately.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be a way to keep Volt in a V2H configuration. Just not accidentally. At the same time, the car should protect her systems so that the main function, transportation, is always available.

GM must have done some software update to keep the 12v system operational. There haven't been recent reports of 'dead' Volts lately.
Yes, in 2014 there was an software update to auto power down the entire car after a period of 150 minutes (or so) of inactivity. Given the story above and others, I can understand why. However I want to keep mine powered up. I'm hopeful someone with technical knowledge of the software would know of a configuration code to override the auto off.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,447 Posts
Evidently in 2014 GM added code to turn the car off after 150 minutes of inactivity.
Do you know what "inactivity" entails? Perhaps playing the radio constitutes activity, or having the fan on. I'd be concerned about keeping the brake pressure booster activated for hours on end -- pressing the pedal doesn't just activate the lights.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I camp in the Volt from time to time with the HVAC on. Having climate on doesn't count, nor does having the radio on. It would appear pressing the brake pedal counts. Not sure what other options are. Perhaps the accelerator? On battery power and in park, the accelerator wouldn't be doing anything....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Do you know what "inactivity" entails? Perhaps playing the radio constitutes activity, or having the fan on. I'd be concerned about keeping the brake pressure booster activated for hours on end -- pressing the pedal doesn't just activate the lights.
Explained in the other thread I to linked earlier, radio or fan won't constitute proper activity into the K9 Body Control Module to prevent this auto-off feature...

*Sigh* Guess if you are that concerned you could remove either the F21 40A and/or F30 60A fuses under the hood to prevent powering the K17 Electronic Brake Control Module I suppose!;)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I camp in the Volt from time to time with the HVAC on. Having climate on doesn't count, nor does having the radio on. It would appear pressing the brake pedal counts. Not sure what other options are. Perhaps the accelerator? On battery power and in park, the accelerator wouldn't be doing anything....
Try giving the accelerator pedal a shot. It may work just like the brake pedal to prevent the auto-off and you wouldn't have to worry about the brake lights being lit or the brakes being engaged constantly!:cool:

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,447 Posts
Explained in the other thread I to linked earlier, radio or fan won't constitute proper activity into the K9 Body Control Module to prevent this auto-off feature...

*Sigh* Guess if you are that concerned you could remove either the F21 40A and/or F30 60A fuses under the hood to prevent powering the K17 Electronic Brake Control Module I suppose!;)
When you are through with your condescending sighing, perhaps you'd be kind enough to point out the section in the linked thread where it is explained that neither the radio nor fan constitute activity. In addition to my obviously unnecessary concern, I'm evidently incapable of reading with comprehension, *Sigh*.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good to know. I think I'm owed a apology from WOP. I wish I could find the original thread. Seriously took a beating over the issue.

Guess I'll just have to be happy to have been right.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating one way or another on the appropriateness of Auto-Off as a safety feature, just wanting to know how to disable it when I intnetionally want to leave the car on all night.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the Auto-Off feature require the vehicle be in Park? Might Neutral plus Emergency Brake prevent Auto-Off.

That's a good idea. I thought of that too, even with wheel chocks. When the Volt is charging/plugged in, you are prohibited from shifting out of park.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
That's a good idea. I thought of that too, even with wheel chocks. When the Volt is charging/plugged in, you are prohibited from shifting out of park.
That doesn't sound anymore sketchy than the 'brick on the gas pedal' method that also turned out not to work! Well, it does seem to work at least in the movies when trying to dispose of the vehicle that may or may not have a body in it into the bottom of a quarry!;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts