GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently bought a used 2014 Volt with a little under 20,000 miles on it. It has charging issues, but I have an appointment at a local Chevy dealer to fix that, and that's not my biggest concern right now.

Sometimes while driving (twice in the 100 miles that we've driven it) the car will display "Service Theft Deterrent System" in yellow and stop responding to the accelerator. The first time was at a stop light, and the second time was moving at about 25 MPH. This doesn't seem to set any codes – the set of codes right now is P1E00, P0AA1, P0AE2, P0D22, and P0D26, which are all related to charging.

I think it gets reset when I get out of the car with the key, walk several feet away, and then come back. Since it's only happened twice, I'm not exactly sure.

We only have one key (RKE?) for it; the used car dealer said they're going to send the other one soon. It's certainly not inside any of the obvious places inside the car.

I wouldn't mind disabling the Theft Deterrent System, if that's possible. I'd rather take the chance of somebody stealing it than randomly disrupt traffic.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying to my own post probably indicates some kind of psychological disorder, but "we" will overlook that for now...

After more searching, this sounds a lot like OnStar's "Stolen Vehicle Slowdown" feature. I don't have an OnStar subscription, and pushing the blue button verifies that. If the dealer isn't able to figure it out, I'll probably just pull the OnStar fuse and then drive a hundred miles on city streets and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You better take it into a dealer. There are actually no theft deterrent DTC fail-safe functions that will shut down the propulsion system as you describe. The immobilizer system FOB challenge is performed at Power ON and once received lets you keep driving for that IGN cycle. If it fails the car simply won't move.
Once you are moving though, *which required a successful PASS ) any detected immobilizer/theft det. issues will set DTCs which may cause the "security" warning lamp (car with padlock) may FLASH but you shoul dbe able to still drive.

It's possible the dealer will detect DTCs that OnStar didn't

Welcome to gm-volt.com

WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
One of the bad things about the Volt is that you can start the car and then the key can leave with another person. You drive off, park, and then realize you can't restart it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beat me by 4 minutes!
That happened to my wife. I started the car, got out, then she got in and drove off. My key in my pocket, hers at home.
She called and I had to go rescue her.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
One of the bad things about the Volt is that you can start the car and then the key can leave with another person. You drive off, park, and then realize you can't restart it...
Yes, but it warns you (chimes and message) BEFORE it will shut off. You will have to press the power button twice and as such acknowledging the warning message regarding the missing FOB.
WOT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I do have a service appointment in a few days - I was just hoping I could find a way to drive it until then.

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I do have a service appointment in a few days - I was just hoping I could find a way to drive it until then.
Just a guess, maybe the FOB battery is dying. Try replacing it, or open the little door on the top of your dash, lift the plastic lining, and open the key fob, and insert the key into that hole. It puts the FOB as close as possible to the receiver.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My not very informed approach is: When faced with a strange and inexplicable Volt issue, assume it's battery related. That might be the FOB battery or the 12v battery. I'd replace the FOB battery and see if that changes anything.

The charging issue is likely on the house end. I say that knowing nothing other than there is an issue just because most charging issues are related to the plug. Not all by any means but most.

EDIT: LLninja, seems like great minds are going down the same path. Hopefully not a bunny trail! LOL

·
Registered
817 Posts
Isn't this a standard behavior of ALL cars available with push button start?
My 2008 Nissan Pathfinder did that ... thats almost 10 years ago in Polish math :p

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Beat me by 4 minutes!
That happened to my wife. I started the car, got out, then she got in and drove off. My key in my pocket, hers at home.
She called and I had to go rescue her.
Happened to me once. My wife drove off and the key was in my pocket. I called and told her not to shutdown the car until she reaches home (where the second key is located). She made it home safely.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Isn't this a standard behavior of ALL cars available with push button start?
My 2008 Nissan Pathfinder did that ... thats almost 10 years ago in Polish math :p
It was a bad practice 10 years ago too. At least the Dodge I drove would start beeping at you because it couldn't find the FOB. And about as soon as it couldn't find the FOB too.. It wouldn't shut down the vehicle, but at least you know, you were not going to be restarting it if you shut it off.

It has not happened to us - but regardless I actually still like a KEY and an ignition. The ignition doesn't have to be physically connected to the starter. I guess I am old school... No one ever had a problem not having a key with a place to put the key in the car in order to start it in the first place. The volts place you CAN put the key is not a very good one either.

The newest thing is that your smart phone will be your key fob... Ughhh... How do you valet that one? 'cause they are not getting my phone.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The newest thing is that your smart phone will be your key fob... Ughhh... How do you valet that one? 'cause they are not getting my phone.
I am sure there is an App for that... (remote start and unlock).

To the OP: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15910-quot-Service-Anti-Theft-System-quot-message

Not very helpful, said they saw it a couple times and didn't see it again. Might be worth checking 12 V battery connections and key fob battery (maybe key is getting weak). As someone else said, you can set the key up in the compartment in the middle of the dash, in my 2012 I open the key, take the rubber liner out, and there is a little slot you set it in, it goes there loosely, it just puts it in close proximity to the reader so it can read the key passively.

My wife has some issues with my spare key, which I never see with my key. I don't recall what she said was the issue, just that it wouldn't start I think. She was able to get it to start by putting key in that compartment above the dash, so slightly different issue maybe. I replaced the battery in the key to see if they will show up again. Simple CR2032 battery available most places.

Eric

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There is a slow app for remote unlock and start for our Volts, but you can't drive off with just the phone in your hand. Still need to key... I am thankful for the app - and actually wish all car manufacturers nowadays had an app like we do for the Volt... But this is going off on a tagent.

To the OP, please let us know what your dealer says or if changing the batteries in the remote works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I changed the battery in the keyfob, and I set the keyfob in the compartment in the middle of the dash. (I didn't remove the liner and plug it in, though.)

I drove about 20 slow miles on the least-crowded streets I could think of, stopped and restarted the car a few times, and I didn't have any problems. Since the issue had only occurred twice in 100 miles, today doesn't prove anything, but it is encouraging - and my all-gas mileage was 39.3, still WAY better than the 1998 Dodge Ram we traded in!!

I still have an appointment at the dealer in a couple days.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It was a bad practice 10 years ago too. At least the Dodge I drove would start beeping at you because it couldn't find the FOB. And about as soon as it couldn't find the FOB too.. It wouldn't shut down the vehicle, but at least you know, you were not going to be restarting it if you shut it off.

It has not happened to us - but regardless I actually still like a KEY and an ignition. The ignition doesn't have to be physically connected to the starter. I guess I am old school... No one ever had a problem not having a key with a place to put the key in the car in order to start it in the first place. The volts place you CAN put the key is not a very good one either.

Yes, the Nissan would flash a red KEY icon on the dashboard when the FOB wasn't inside, but would not turn off the engine.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There is a slow app for remote unlock and start for our Volts, but you can't drive off with just the phone in your hand. Still need to key... I am thankful for the app - and actually wish all car manufacturers nowadays had an app like we do for the Volt... But this is going off on a tagent.
I know, I was just having fun, they (Apple?) used to have that stupid commercial: There's an App for that. It would be doable though, or maybe a valet key or something of course. Or even more likely is a self parking car with no need for a valet, use the App to summon the car to your current location.

Eric

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I changed the battery in the keyfob, and I set the keyfob in the compartment in the middle of the dash. (I didn't remove the liner and plug it in, though.)

I drove about 20 slow miles on the least-crowded streets I could think of, stopped and restarted the car a few times, and I didn't have any problems. Since the issue had only occurred twice in 100 miles, today doesn't prove anything, but it is encouraging - and my all-gas mileage was 39.3, still WAY better than the 1998 Dodge Ram we traded in!!

I still have an appointment at the dealer in a couple days.
Good news indeed.

konimail - Ok and thanks. Better than the non-permanent Volt warning.

viking79 - Yeah, I know. It is why I responded with there is a SLOW app for that right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took my Volt to the Chevy dealer on Friday. That afternoon, they told me they have to order a charge receptacle to fix the charging problem. Sounded like they haven't figured out the theft deterrent system issue yet.

Also, the part they think they need is back-ordered, so they think it will take a week to get one.

They let me use a 2014 Chevy Silverado for a loaner. It's a 4WD, 4-door pickup truck. I can't find the charging port.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts