GM Volt Forum banner

dirt bike

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  skadamo 
#1 ·
its here now a dirt bike runs on a battery looks great this could be the start of it. zero motorcycles. look them up on the web. about 7500 plus 300 shipping and it gets about two hours of driving on a charge , this looks great, look it up you can get one now very little waiting

#4 ·
Looks good but I worry that there is no noise to scare away people and animals when I'm coming down the path. ;) That said, I would take it for a spin. Looks like fun.
Sears used to sell something like 'air horn in a can' - basically a freon-or-CO2-powered air horn in something like a mosquito fogger can with a horn where the nozzle should be. It was for boaters that didn't have a regular electric horn on their boat (smaller sailboats, open alunimum fishing boats).

They were loud as all get-out! I'll bet you could get something like that at a marine shop. And it surely would scare the people and animals away... might give people a coronary.

Or find a Trek bike parked in a rack and swipe the bell. Every Trek comes with a little bell! You'll need a Phillips screwdriver.

... But that would be wrong. ;-)

More seriously, for the price of this, you could get a little Kawasaki motorbike that gets pretty good gas mileage and buy a couple really nice bicycles with the change.

It seems to me that most of these "alternative" vehicles, built to motorcyle standars... or those "neighborhood" electrics, charge an awful lot for what you get. Especially the neighborhood vehicles... the Zapp appears to me to rhyme with "crap" for good reason. Even electric kits for existing bicycles are pretty outrageous. If this stuff ever gets out of the boutique manufacturing and into the a real factory setting, it should become dirt cheap. There's an opportunity here for a major motorcyle or bicycle manufacturer.

#5 ·
Pretty neat. However like all EVs it seems, it's performance to price ratio isn't that great when compared to the traditional for the average dirt biker. My brother, cousin and my friends back in my home town are way into dirt bikes, but the 40 mile range wouldn't work that well for them. They like to go on epic dual sport rides that can cover 200 miles in a day.

Still there are lots of folks out there that go to off-road parks with their motor homes and just tool around near by and with a generator handy to charge it back up, it could fit them well. Where this bike could really excel and come into it's own would be in the big freestyle jumping like they do in the X-Games. Torquey, super light and no messy fluids to spill all over when the bike gets dumped. I can also see an electric class for Motocross racing. It should also be a big hit with rich race teams for putting around the pit areas. Little bikes, scooters and ATVs are popular now.

I think this bike has a brighter future than the Aptera does.

#7 ·
Still there are lots of folks out there that go to off-road parks with their motor homes and just tool around near by and with a generator handy to charge it back up, it could fit them well.
I agree.

Hey guys, I personally think dirt bikes have the biggest potential when it comes to electric power. A lot of what keeps them from being practical is the noise they make. You don’t need a lot of space to enjoy a dirt bike. Just a vacant lot and a shovel, just like the when I grew up. All we did was build jumps and ride our bicycles. No one cared because no one could hear us.

If the price comes down every kid on the block (young and old) will want one.

How about the abandoned warehouse in town. Supermoto anyone? No emissions to worry about so liability is the only hold up.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago where corn fields meet subdivisions. Our riding areas are small and usually extreme. Big hill climbs or MX tracks. We never get more than a few miles from the truck. 40 miles of riding is A LOT around here. These electric bikes fit the bill.

I am very excited about electric dirtbike technology :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.