GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently charge my car by running an extension cord from a 120V outlet to the trunk of my car, then plugging the charging port into my car. It allows me to keep the actual inverter in the car safe from the weather and theft, and has been working well for years now.

Here's a video showing how I do it - not my video: youtu.be/tb_pCrxbM0g?t=312

I'm wondering if anybody has an idea on how it may be possible to wire it so that the plug end is always connected via a circuit (though not physically with the actual plug) so that all I'd need to do is run the extension cord into the car and plug it in and it would start charging.

Maybe be able to flip a switch or something so that when I do charge it with a physical plug somewhere (like in a parking garage), it uses the outside physical plug to charge instead of the inverter charging box circuit (which wouldn't be plugged in with an extension cord at the time anyway, but would still have the circuit connection).

The reason would be to not have to have the plug outside in the weather (freezing rain, snow, rain, etc) and simply need to plug in an extension cord and be done with it. I could also then just carry around an extension cord and plug it into the wall when I go to friend's or family's homes instead of toying with the plug itself.

I know it's probably a huge project, probably breaks warranty, etc., but anybody have any thoughts on this or have seen something similar done before?

Thanks!
2013 Chevy Volt

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What you need/want is a plugless inductive charger. They are available for the Volt.

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
Here's the problem. If you drop the j1772 plug into a bucket of water, nothing happens. If you drop the end of your extension cord into that bucket of water, you will pop a circuit breaker, maybe a gfci, and for a split second maybe some sparks. You might also feel the voltage if your hands are wet. GM does not recommend the use of extension cords at all, though people will continue to use them as they haven't died or started a fire yet doing it for years.

I recommend getting a proper dedicated 120v circuit wired up so you don't need the extension cord, or just get a 240v level2 EVSE and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
So let me get this straight. Ya want to use (make that ARE using) a LIVE extension cord to plug in your car?? Kind of defeats the purpose of a safe charge method like J1772. Hard to believe that ya need more than 25' to reach the outlet.

Many here use a plastic box to protect the EVSE circuitry. However, it is already pretty weather proof. I charge outside all the time, but, the EVSE circuitry is inside.

In the video posted, the guy is using an extension cord (not recommended btw) that is way too light for continuous 12-amp draw. Ya need at least 12ga and preferably 10ga to mitigate voltage drop. Again, an extension cord is NOT recommended.

My recommendation: Install a 110v dedicated 20-amp outlet (30-amp 220v is better) within 15' of the car's normal parking spot. Weather-proof if outside. Then use an appropriate EVSE to charge the car. By 'appropriate', I mean for outside use if that's what you are doing. Keep the OEM in the trunk and nix the extension cords.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You are going to all that trouble to protect something that is under warranty. Think of the EVSE as an extension cord itself and it will all work just as you described.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I currently charge my car by running an extension cord from a 120V outlet to the trunk of my car, then plugging the charging port into my car. It allows me to keep the actual inverter in the car safe from the weather and theft, and has been working well for years now.
This is like saying that you've been smoking for 20 years and don't have cancer yet. Just because nothing bad has happened, doesn't mean this is a good idea. Get a plug installed, stop worrying about the EVSE (it is made to be exposed to the elements), and forget about the rest.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
And also violates the National Electric Code... Among other regulations:

Section 625.18 — Requires that EV supply equipment include an interlock that de-energizes an electric vehicle connector and its cable whenever a connector is uncoupled from an electric vehicle.

Section 625.19 — Requires that EV supply equipment have a means to automatically de-energize the cable conductors and electric vehicle connector upon exposure to strain that could result in cable rupture or separation of a cable from the electric connector and expose live parts.

There's a reason why half the smarts are in the car and half the smarts are in the EVSE, and that something like this isn't available in North America despite seeming to be a no-brainer:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Here's the problem. If you drop the end of your extension cord into that bucket of water, you will pop a circuit breaker, maybe a gfci, and for a split second maybe some sparks. You might also feel the voltage if your hands are wet.
That is largely a myth, water is a fair insulator, its when it has things such as chlorine, salt or other substances that it becomes conductive.

So more often than not getting zapped while charging an EV with a live cord in water is basically impossible, there can be a slight unpleasant tingle if the loads are imbalanced (between neutral and hot) but you are more likely to win a lottery than get electricuted because a cord is sitting in a pool of water outside, especially if that cord is already plugged into a GFCI.

Ah well, paranoid

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hear, hear! Or rather: here, here...Plugless is here as a supporting vendor and I am here if you have any questions (yes it works perfectly well outdoors in rain, sleet, snow heat...).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That is largely a myth, water is a fair insulator
And when you remove the plug, while wet, your own perspiration is non-conductive as well? People get electrocuted all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts