GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an extra set of MY2017 LT wheels for my siren red volt. I was thinking of blacking them out. Since they are without rubber I was trying to decide between dipping them or getting them painted gloss black. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I went with Plasti-Dip about 3 years ago and it's still holding up well. View attachment 117889
How about some close-up photos of the inside of the wheels, where the tire meets the bead and around the lug nuts?

How many times have you rotated, rebalanced and touched up in those 3 years?

I dipped my grill several times, once black (which turned out fantastic) and a second time trying to match the body color (disaster). I have the white diamond tricoat so a color similar to yours, but was leaning more toward a smoke color than black.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not the greatest pics but there are a few scuffs. I removed the wheels from the car when I did it - thoroughly cleaned, masked and then 4 or 5 light coats each side; took about a day for each wheel as I recall (I had a spare). The missing black from the one bow-tie is 3M reflective tape not Plasti Dip. I rotate my own tires and am careful around the lug nuts and have 2 or 3 rotations since then. That being said, I had the tires replaced twice at Les Schwab about 3 months ago. Long story but suffice to say I do not recommend the Toyo Versado Eco tires for the Volt. Expensive, and I saw about a 10-15% drop in range immediately after they were installed. The first set they put on (Ultra Z900) were even worse. Should have went with the OEM's.
20160903_085628_HDR.jpg 20160903_085653_HDR.jpg 20160903_085733_HDR.jpg 20160903_085834_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just picked up an extra set of MY2017 LT wheels for my siren red volt. I was thinking of blacking them out. Since they are without rubber I was trying to decide between dipping them or getting them painted gloss black. Any suggestions?
How much was that extra set? Did you buy them from the dealer? Do you know how much the stock LT wheel weighs?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Paint looks so much better.
Dip looks like a 10 year old did it and is temporary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMO gloss black would look way better on your car than flat black. All of the black pieces on the car are glossy. Plastidipped flat black wheels would just look really, really dirty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the extra set from The Real Wheels. http://www.therealwheels.com/ They were take-offs. I beleive the company is out of Florida. I'm happy with my purchase. Check them out. They cost me $250 US for the set of 4, plus $125 US for shipping up here to Canada. I also picked up an extra set of 4 TPMS for $80. I just received them today. They are OEM and shipped in GM boxes. There were two small scratches on the wheels, nothing I'm concerned about and the company let me know and sent me pictures before I purchased them. My plan is to paint them anyways. GM wanted to charge me $470 per wheel, plus $70 each of TPMS up here! I just weighed each LT wheel and they came in at 19.8 lbs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO gloss black would look way better on your car than flat black. All of the black pieces on the car are glossy. Plastidipped flat black wheels would just look really, really dirty.
That's what I was thinking - matching the black glossy black parts. I'm going to have the best looking snow tires in a couple of months!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not like the look of PlastiDip. Looks cheap.

Probably the best solution would be powder coat with clear over, or if you want to get wild, hydro-dipped cleared over.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wait, did you get the whole car dipped or just the wheels? The wheels looked dipped, but if the car got dipped as well (the grey color you mentioned), then damn, that gloss coat for dips sure has gotten better! I recall the gloss coat was not very glossy...

·
Registered
15 Posts
That color looks really good on the stock wheels. Is it glossy? A couple of close up pictures would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, dipped the whole wheel. I should have asked not to do the center cap.

The Anthracite needed a black coat first, which brings out a deeper gray. Its metallic in look and he shot gloss over it. Jon at LA Dips (818-687-1520) did it. Great guy, cheap price, great work.

Sorry I didn't take a close up...I'll try to remember to do so.

Just the wheels, thats the heather gray, 30% 3M Ceramic tint

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the color looks just right for the car. I'm gong to give it a try once the weather warms up.....thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts