GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news for 2011 - 2015 Volt owners. I am please to let Volt owners know that Diode Dynamics is the first company, I have seen, to offer an HID conversion kit with true 9012 HID lamps. Most other kits use 9006 style lamps that require modification of the lamp base to fit into the Volt's 9012 lamp housing. Diode Dynamics now has lamps the FIT without trimming.

Here is my updated review of this kit: http://www.panoscan.com/HIDReview/

Please not that the DD web site is still recommending the 9006 lamps for the Volt kit. If you decide to order I suggest calling on the phone to make sure you get the new 9012 lamps with your kit.

P.S. I don't work for Diode Dynamics. I paid full price for my kit. I have been satisfied with the performance and support that Diode Dynamics has offered. Just letting people know because Diode Dynamics is a sponsor of this Forum and they seem to have the only 9012 HID conversion lamp on the market right now.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I just finished reading your review of the Diode Dynamics conversion to your Volt: an excellent, thorough report.

The side-by-side comparison photos speak volumes. I wish that GM had seen fit to make the Gen 1 headlights brighter. This mod achieves that.

Let's hope that Gen 2 "outshines" Gen 1 in this area 8^)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's hope that Gen 2 "outshines" Gen 1 in this area 8^)
Almost certainly will. In a discussion on the GM Facebook page yesterday... A GM representative said the new Volt uses a new LED low beam projector and an separate halogen high beam. Should be a big improvement.

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
While they aren't technically DOT compliant products (nor is any HID conversion kit), they will not create a significant increase in glare thanks to the design of the projector housing.

Nick C.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I purchased Diode Dynamics 9012 kit awhile ago. It is a well designed setup, easy to install, and is a huge improvement over stock. I have never been flashed. I would not hesitate to purchase this kit again or to recommend it.

Is it technically legal? No. But neither is driving 56mph in a 55mph zone. You will have no problems with the kit. Well, I take that back. Depending how long you have had your car you may kick yourself for waiting. The stock setup is pretty bad.

Yes, I am shilling for Diode Dynamics in this thread. However I have nothing to gain by doing so. I have no connection to the company. I am simply a satisfied customer.

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
I purchased Diode Dynamics 9012 kit awhile ago. It is a well designed setup, easy to install, and is a huge improvement over stock. I have never been flashed. I would not hesitate to purchase this kit again or to recommend it.

Is it technically legal? No. But neither is driving 56mph in a 55mph zone. You will have no problems with the kit. Well, I take that back. Depending how long you have had your car you may kick yourself for waiting. The stock setup is pretty bad.

Yes, I am shilling for Diode Dynamics in this thread. However I have nothing to gain by doing so. I have no connection to the company. I am simply a satisfied customer.
Thank you for the review and the feedback

It is true that no aftermarket HID conversion kit will technically be DOT compliant (Don't let anyone lie to you about that), but when installed in a factory projector style housing, they won't create a significant increase in glare thanks to the design of that housing.

The Volt's housings are exceptionally well-designed and maintain a decent cutoff with an HID conversion kit installed

Nick C.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thank you for the review and the feedback

It is true that no aftermarket HID conversion kit will technically be DOT compliant (Don't let anyone lie to you about that), but when installed in a factory projector style housing, they won't create a significant increase in glare thanks to the design of that housing.

The Volt's housings are exceptionally well-designed and maintain a decent cutoff with an HID conversion kit installed

Nick C.
The cutoff is ok but the the width still isn't there. To see a actual improvement over stock the projector needs to be replaced. It should be replaced on the dealer lot. Idk how GM can say these headlights are safe to use.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The cutoff is ok but the the width still isn't there. To see a actual improvement over stock the projector needs to be replaced. It should be replaced on the dealer lot. Idk how GM can say these headlights are safe to use.
I couldn't agree with you more. I had to take matters into my own hand [Hexfire LED Aux Light review]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts