GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Research Automotive Lighting

At Diode Dynamics, we want our fellow Chevrolet Volt enthusiasts to be educated on automotive lighting products, so that they know they are purchasing the best products on the market. We have devoted this portion of our website to doing just that. Here you'll find information on different automotive lighting technologies, how they work and common misconceptions you'll see while shopping for your vehicle. We hope you enjoy learning all about automotive lighting!

Any questions? Email us at [email protected] or call: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I wish to educate vehicle owners that not all LED replacements for incandescent bulbs require load resistors. Older signal and emergency flashers depend on lamp current flow to warm a metallic element that will open the circuit then cool off and close the circuit, causing the flashing operation (open up one and see inside), like the old incandescent Christmas bulbs. That is also why an open bulb will not let the flasher do its job.

Advanced Auto Parts and other auto parts dealers sell an electronic flasher that will flash even if one bulb was open, and doesn't depend on the lamp current. So it will operate and flash even if the lamps are LED or a mixture of both LED and incandescent, or there is an open lamp. I have this in my 1995 Buick Regal, and I have replaced all the signal lamps (four per side) with LEDs and the turn signal and emergency flashers work as expected.

Before buying any unneeded load resistors, check the flasher first and do a test with just one LED lamp replacement. If the new LED lamp can flash, then you can replace all of the incandescent and still have the flasher functioning. If not, then try to replace the flasher with a new electronic version first.

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish to educate vehicle owners... Before buying any unneeded load resistors, check the flasher first and do a test with just one LED lamp replacement. If the new LED lamp can flash, then you can replace all of the incandescent and still have the flasher functioning. If not, then try to replace the flasher with a new electronic version first.
Right! Like our article says, the easier way to correct hyperblinking is with a replacement flasher, if applicable:

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/research/research-led.html

Thanks for the post!

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEW! HD Halos and Strips!

Diode Dynamics is excited to announce our new HD LED Halos and Semi-Flex Strips are now available! Offered in switchback and single colors (red, amber, blue and white), they are perfect for custom applications! The Strips are available in 3, 6, 9 and 12 inches and the Halos are offered in universal sizes from 50-160 millimeters.

Both products were designed from the ground up and manufactured in our facility here in St. Louis, Missouri. They are backed by our hassle-free 3-year limited warranty.

Click here to shop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts