GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I am wanting to get an upgrade to the OEM headlights. Seems that there are dozens of options, and no clear "slam dunk" solution to date. Diode Dynamics seems to make solid products, but I don't see much discussion about them these days, howcome?

·
Registered
623 Posts
No discussion most likely because of all the options available these days.

I have their 9012 5k HID kit. Originally I had 6K bulbs, but one of them went bad after about 2 years. They only sell spare bulbs in pairs so, opted to drop to the 5k bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
.. Diode Dynamics seems to make solid products, but I don't see much discussion about them ..
This vendor could show some comparison testing the way Tirerack does.

How about actual testing showing Lo and Hi patterns against a test wall ?
Stock
LED
HID

Guys, it's an opportunity to show off your goods and not make the customers figure it out !!

·
Registered
623 Posts
This vendor could show some comparison testing the way Tirerack does.

How about actual testing showing Lo and Hi patterns against a test wall ?
Stock
LED
HID

Guys, it's an opportunity to show off your goods and not make the customers figure it out !!
Unless you change the actual projector assemblies, the light patterns will be the same. Only the color spectrum and brightness will differ with the illumination source.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Unless you change the actual projector assemblies, the light patterns will be the same. Only the color spectrum and brightness will differ with the illumination source.
Exactly!
That's one reason the Volt projectors work so well with a brighter light source upgrade !

And that is why we'd need accurate comparisons. Maybe even measure the lumen difference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm looking at the website for Diode Dynamics and it seems to be a pretty solid product. The 9012 kit comes with the CANBUS controller which tells the car the headlight isn't burned out. I'm guessing the HID lamps draw less current than the halogens?

I know from past experience that LED's can confuse the car into thinking it's got a burned out bulb, but I assumed HID lamps would draw enough current..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you are interested in HID, there are many options. I think the one that has been most consistently mentioned on the forum over time and associated with high quality and good results is Morimoto. I'm not sure if that is still the case, or if that is older information. Many of the relevant threads are several years old now. I am interested in trying HIDs, and would like to know the current best quality option. Price is less important to me than reliability, ease of installation, and getting it right the first time. Would also prefer direct plug-in vs. adding relays.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Price is less important to me than reliability, ease of installation, and getting it right the first time. Would also prefer direct plug-in vs. adding relays.
Agreed whole-heartedly. Buy the best and you cry once, I always say.. I like the Diode Dynamics kit, as it is plug-n-play, but I'll have to check out the Morimoto offering to compare...

·
Registered
623 Posts
IIRC, Morimoto’s require using their Projector assemblies. It’s not plug-n-play. It’s a fair amount of work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I too am in the same boat. Many of the threads talked about are at most 4-5 year old. My question is I bought the 9012 HID Kit from Diode Dynamics, I have followed the instructions to a T, and i've even watched Steve's youtube video on install the Kit. But my issue is when I installed it, even made sure the polarity were correct and my headlights did not even once light up or flickered.

I tried ballast (A) with Bulb (A), ballast (B) with bulb (A) and then Ballast (B) with bulb (B) and this was all on the drivers side. I have also read that you do not need a relay harness with these as it comes with all the necessary components.

My question is doing research on the former threads, many goes with a 9006 bulb vs the stock 9012. My guess is during that time that was the only one out there that was available??

I'm going to try and take it to a local car shop and see if they can run a bench test on the ballast and bulbs to make sure they are in working condition.

But if anyone can give me any insight that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just installed the Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0. They simply install like regular bulbs, and with a bit of wiggling the ballast boxes drop right inside the headlight and the stock cap goes back on with no drama.

The light output is amazing. Really fills in the road in front of the car where I needed it the most and anything reflective or light color has added pop to the eye, making spotting road markers or street signs a cinch.

Love these things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed the Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0. They simply install like regular bulbs, and with a bit of wiggling the ballast boxes drop right inside the headlight and the stock cap goes back on with no drama.

The light output is amazing. Really fills in the road in front of the car where I needed it the most and anything reflective or light color has added pop to the eye, making spotting road markers or street signs a cinch.

Love these things.
Which size (9012?) And where did you get them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the 9012's from theretrofitsource. I also got a set of 7443 switchbacks for the front signals while I was there. Only thing left on my list is a reverse light.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

IIRC, Morimoto’s require using their Projector assemblies. It’s not plug-n-play. It’s a fair amount of work.

Totally incorrect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just installed Diode Dynamics HID 5K in my 2015. Now I can actually see down the road. Huge difference.
When I installed them, they didn't work right away even though everything seemed to plug in good. After some troubleshooting, I discovered the 2 pins in the stock connector didn't line up with the receptacle in the DD connector. I gently moved the pins farther apart and it worked.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Okay, so refresh my memory.

Light patterns are different depending upon their source. LED, HID and halogen all make different light patterns in the same housing. And morimoto bulbs don’t require anything. They fit into whatever housing the specific bulb size you buy is designed to fit into.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Light patterns are different depending upon their source. LED, HID and halogen all make different light patterns in the same housing. And morimoto bulbs don’t require anything. They fit into whatever housing the specific bulb size you buy is designed to fit into.
I would agreed the source will change light patterns within a halogen reflector type housing. When I put the DD HID kit in my stock Projector housings, the light pattern / cut off line didn’t change. The pattern on the garage wall appeared unchanged, just a different color and brighter.

As far morimotos, the things I’ve seen or read about them, always alluded to them being an improved projector housing and HID kit, not just bulbs and drivers. Admittedly, I’ve only seen a few articles/forum threads about them.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would agreed the source will change light patterns within a halogen reflector type housing. When I put the DD HID kit in my stock Projector housings, the light pattern / cut off line didn’t change. The pattern on the garage wall appeared unchanged, just a different color and brighter.

As far morimotos, the things I’ve seen or read about them, always alluded to them being an improved projector housing and HID kit, not just bulbs and drivers. Admittedly, I’ve only seen a few articles/forum threads about them.

It’s different, I’ve been building lights for over a decade.

And morimoto bulbs are just like any other bulb. They’ve never had a specific thing just meant for each other, ever. Yes, when you install HID/LED the correct way to do it is to install the proper housing meant for said light source but 99.9% of people don’t because they don’t care about glaring others on the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts