GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who dont know me, i have been trying to get my volt repaired for 5 years. Everytime i come here, i am told all about how everybody else's volt has never needed service and the one time, one volt needed an oil change, the CEO of chevy rubbed the owner's feet while they figured out what went wrong.
For those who know me, the volt died. You will never hear from me again.
At least, i think it is dead. Since i still haven't found a volt mechanic, i really dont know if it is dead or not.
Engine was missfireing. Dealer took all day, 8 hours, to diagnose it said i need a 500.00 ignition coil pack.
On the way home, it started missfireing again.
Dealer kept it over night , consulted with chevy and said i needed a 500.00 valve cover.
Week later, missfireing again, kept it for two days, consulted with chevy and said i needed a 6,000.00 gas engine.
Obviously, chevy and the dealer are just guessing. Like they always do.
So, it is on ebay. 1,000.00 bid.
Already sold the charger for 50.00.
When i decided not to put the engine in, i asked the dealer to charge it, so i could drive it home on battery. When i picked it up he said it was charged. I found the car plugged in, indicator light yellow and a message that said, unable to charge, and the battery dead.
Dealers cant even figure out how to charge them
This forum should buy it.
Now that chevy has discontinued them, you can put it in the volt museum as the only volt that could not be repaired.
Never got the cabin heat to work.
I bought a honda civic. During the test drive the dealer turned the heat on and i cried. He put a comforting arm around my shoulders and said, you owned a volt, didn't you?
Honda has a free class for Volt owners. They introduce you very slowly to cabin heat so it doesn't come as too much of a shock.
So, now all i do all day is visit the dealers and chevy's Facebook sites and tell them how much they suck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So sorry to hear. I hope things work out for you.

Maybe I should scout out the best dealership for volt repairs. Just in case.

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
Your dealer sounds like they are of the "replace parts instead of diagnose issues kind". That's bad. Regrettably, it all boils down to the dealer Volt technician. Sounds like your is using your car for practice. :(

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience and glad it's almost behind you. The Honda should serve you well as a staid and practical car. Unfortunately the Volt is a complicated car not produced in the numbers that dealer techs are familiar with them unless the dealership specializes in selling them has Volt technicians on staff.

The dealer I use has a Volt tech and actually will not let anyone else touch the car even to do something as mundane as an oil change.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For those of you who dont know me, i have been trying to get my volt repaired for 5 years. Everytime i come here, i am told all about how everybody else's volt has never needed service and the one time, one volt needed an oil change, the CEO of chevy rubbed the owner's feet while they figured out what went wrong.
At least, i think it is dead. Since i still haven't found a volt mechanic, i really dont know if it is dead or not.
Man, I've never needed any service on my Volt. Haven't even had to change the oil yet in 3 months of ownership.....

On a more serious note, it's no fun spending money (good money) on a car just to have it let you down continually. Being a long time Lexus owner and fanboi, I've driven problem free cars for nearly 18 years. Now that I own the Volt, we'll see if the streak can continue....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Seems like after the 3rd time in for misfiring, the lemon law should have been in effect. Or for the cabin heat. Is there a lemon law in CT?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Sorry to hear it. The last Civic I bought, I kept for 10 years and 140,000 miles and had only a single minor repair ($60) in that time. Never even replaced a light bulb. It still looked and drove like new. You are due for a car like that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sad story. No one should have to suffer like that. You have the patience of Job. Hopefully, your next car will be trouble-free. I had a Honda Accord in college, and it was the best. Several of my friends bought Accords after they drove mine.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
As with anything if you haven't had any problems, the thing is 100% reliable. If you've had a problem, they are 100% failure rate. (To you). Quality of dealerships vary widely as do the ability of their techs. I worked for one of the biggest IT companies in the world and they could hire the best techs in the business, yet it was common knowledge that some where better than others. Human nature.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm not sorry you had this much trouble and won't pretend to be. It wasn't my fault. GM and your dealer should be sorry though. It's bad enough that you got a lemon, but stringing you along for this long is outrageous.
I totally agree.

My sympathies.
As long as I continue to drive mine, I will be part of this forum. This is a great place for support if you need it. And trying to pay it forward a little by helping a few folks along the way.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Every time you come here.... Trying to get it repaired for 5 years, must have still been under warranty for at least some of this ... I'm a bit skeptical. Well, good luck with your Honda.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Every time you come here.... Trying to get it repaired for 5 years, must have still been under warranty for at least some of this ... And ONE post. I'm a bit skeptical. Well, good luck with your Honda.
Actually, he has 83 posts, and has had bad luck with his 2012 since he bought it. I still say it could have been bought back under the lemon law.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can sympathize with the OP and his desire to switch brands. To my deepest embarrassment I owned a 75 Vega and sent my daughter off to college with a 76 Monza coupe. These cars were complete trash, and were the last GM products I owned until I bought the Volt last year. I never even entered a Chevy showroom until then.

But this man's issue has to be more than just a Volt problem. Sure, the car had issues, but the experience of other owners proves that they can be repaired and and be dependable. He lives in CT, not out in the boondocks - surely there was a dealer with competent service somewhere within range of the car.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Actually, he has 83 posts, and has had bad luck with his 2012 since he bought it. I still say it could have been bought back under the lemon law.
Yea, I went back and checked. Thought I went back and edited that. Things that don't quite add up is if he's in CT. There are indeed some competent techs and CT has a lemon law. So why the heck did the OP keep it 5 years if the problems were never fixed?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello my name is Big Moe

I now own a 2016 Chevrolet Volt. It is my second Volt since 2011. I have never had one iota of a problem. My dealer Pellegrino Chevrolet in Westville, NJ fixes Volts and has a tech in hand. I feel bad that your car cannot be repaired. What I don’t know is what year your car is nor the miles on the odometer. I was tempted to go and buy a 2019 but am afraid of the fact that parts may become scarce. They shut down the battery plant today laying off 50 more employees. I would contact the GM Zone if I were You!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What happened to the OP sucks, and I feel his pain about being what seems to be the only Volt owner with a terrible experience, as most of us are extremely happy with our vehicles.

But this isn't a Volt thing: as long as there have been cars, there have been lemons, of all makes, models, years, types, techologies. A previous poster mentioned lemon law, and if CT has a good one (they vary by state), then that would have been the way to go, as his Volt seems to have been truly a lemon. I don't have enough posts to include a link, but Googling "lemon law" is enough to give tons of good information.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well any shop that told me a misfire was due to a valve cover would be a huge red flag!

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I buy stuff on Amazon or other sites with reviews, I pretty much go by my rule that things that have 80% or more 5 star (legitimate) ratings as being almost a sure thing. 70% is a little iffy, but probably good. Below that, you takes your chances. Almost nothing has a large number of perfect ratings- which is to be expected, as nothing is perfect.

MOST Volt owners have found them to be reliable. I am certainly one of those after 2 Volts and almost 6 years (but I am knocking on wood as I am about to leave on a 2000 mile RT tomorrow in my '17 Volt).

I feel bad for the OP, but as he noted, his experience is not typical from what he hears when he posts here. I mean, no heat? Engine and charging problems? Valve cover? Seriously, WTF was wrong with that thing?- Was it the cursed and filthy bride of Frankenvolt? 'Sounds absolutely terrible.

I think most of us who pass along the info about ours being reliable when we hear such stories are doing so, in part. to say that, yeah, there are always lemons, but overall, the Volt has been a great car for the majority.

So best of luck to the OP with his new Honda or whatever. My daughter has a CRV and it has been a great, reliable car for her (as long as 25 MPG and a fair amount of regular ICE maintenance don't bother you).

Nothing is perfect, but here's hoping the OP gets his exceptional car for Christmas (ICE or not).

I know I got mine (twice).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you. May you find peace elsewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine was missfireing. Dealer took all day, 8 hours, to diagnose it said i need a 500.00 ignition coil pack.
On the way home, it started missfireing again.
Dealer kept it over night , consulted with chevy and said i needed a 500.00 valve cover.
Week later, missfireing again, kept it for two days, consulted with chevy and said i needed a 6,000.00 gas engine.
Obviously, chevy and the dealer are just guessing. Like they always do.
So, it is on ebay. 1,000.00 bid.
Already sold the charger for 50.00.
When i decided not to put the engine in, i asked the dealer to charge it, so i could drive it home on battery. When i picked it up he said it was charged. I found the car plugged in, indicator light yellow and a message that said, unable to charge, and the battery dead.
Dealers cant even figure out how to charge them
This forum should buy it.
Now that chevy has discontinued them, you can put it in the volt museum as the only volt that could not be repaired.
Never got the cabin heat to work.
I bought a honda civic. During the test drive the dealer turned the heat on and i cried. He put a comforting arm around my shoulders and said, you owned a volt, didn't you?
Honda has a free class for Volt owners. They introduce you very slowly to cabin heat so it doesn't come as too much of a shock.
So, now all i do all day is visit the dealers and chevy's Facebook sites and tell them how much they suck.
I hear ya, Bro. They just told me my engine died, too. $1,000 to diagnose that it was dead and another $6,000 for engine, labor, fluids, etc. Praying now that the battery doesn't fail. Last month I was bragging about how good this Volt that I've had since new for 7 years has been great. Now I'm poor and worried about future expense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts