GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When backing out of my garage in the AM, or anytime, the image in the camera is so dim as to be useless. I think the main center display is also dim. After a variable length of time, anywhere from 5-20 seconds, it turns nice and bright, like someone adjusting a lens aperture. Sometimes I'm almost out into the street before it brightens up. With walkers out in the mornings, and with garbage cans on pickup day, it can be tricky.

Yes, I've RTFM, and cannot find any user settings that can be changed. Is this simply the Volt sensing daytime or nighttime, and setting the displays automatically?

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If it's like my '14 (pretty sure it is) the sensor that controls brightness is on the dash next to the windshield. That means you have to be fully out of the garage before it changes.

Woulda been better if the sensor for this was near the camera lens IMO. Coulda shoulda woulda........

There aren't any settings for this I'm aware of. Maybe a mini Maglight would help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nuts; I was afraid of that. Thanks for your reply. I wonder if I play with keeping the garage lights off, and the garage door closed before powering the Volt up? Hmmm...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Nuts; I was afraid of that. Thanks for your reply. I wonder if I play with keeping the garage lights off, and the garage door closed before powering the Volt up? Hmmm...
You're welcome. You need more light on the sensor to brighten your displays, not less. That's why I mentioned the Maglight. Shine it on the sensor and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Another possible solution...Back in?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yet another possible solution: Are you the sort that likes to keep the Instrument Panel Illumination Control turned way down? Try turning it up before a morning back-out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome. You need more light on the sensor to brighten your displays, not less. That's why I mentioned the Maglight. Shine it on the sensor and see what happens.
Thinking about this makes me question the logic. With all the cameras I am familiar with, whether automatic or manual exposure, when there is more light, the aperture needs to be smaller for a good exposure. With less light, the aperture needs to be wider. So, if I need a brighter image in the camera, wouldn't it require less light on the subject? In any event, my test with a dark garage did not result in a brighter image.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Here’s something you can try that doesn’t seem to be mentioned in my 2012 Volt owners manual. I have seen this tip in this forum and on the Volt Owners Facebook page in the past. I suspect it applies to all Gen 1 models. Perhaps it works in a similar fashion on Gen 2 models.

After you shift to Reverse and the camera image appears on the display screen, push the Tune/ Menu button. Brightness and Contrast controls should appear on the touch screen on both sides of the image. Perhaps adjusting one or both will improve your own rear camera’s image.

Pressing Back will make these adjustment controls go away, or you can just shift out of R.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Thinking about this makes me question the logic. With all the cameras I am familiar with, whether automatic or manual exposure, when there is more light, the aperture needs to be smaller for a good exposure. With less light, the aperture needs to be wider. So, if I need a brighter image in the camera, wouldn't it require less light on the subject? In any event, my test with a dark garage did not result in a brighter image.
It's not a camera aperture type issue. It's not a camera issue at all. Your displays need to be brighter in full sun and darker at night, and your car does that adjustment automatically. The reverse camera image is part of that, as it's just another screen as far as the radio display is concerned.

The sensor this adjustment depends on is on top of the dash. Had it been in the rear hatch window, it would be less of an issue when backing out of a dark garage.

You could try to figure out how to have a bright light on in the garage that the sensor can see - maybe hooked up to a Homelink enabled fixture. Oh wait, you have a Gen 2. Nevermind the Homelink thing..... :rolleyes: Well, where there's a will there's a way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts