GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Denver with my Volt. I recently attempted to charge my car at one of the "Juice bar" charge stations at Canopy parking (an off site parking complex). I was really excited about parking there - they must of had 15-20 charging stations there. I picked one and plugged the J1772 adapter and I neither got the amber light nor the green charge light. We played around with this for a few minutes and moved on to another charge station. Unfortunately the same thing occurred. I unfortunately, did not bring my 110 V charge cord with me - so I could not charge at this facility. Oddly the drivers side displays showed the graphic that appeared as if it was charging - yet is was not.

I have heard of "handshake issues" between the charge systems and the Volt. In particular, I recall that the Leaf 110 charge cordset was noted not to charge the Volt due to handshake or timing issues.

Has anyone else had problems charging at public charging stations? Has anyone else used the Juice Bar system anywhere else in the country? Is GM aware that there is a handshake issue and/or is there firmware fix.

My volt chargers perfectly well of off the 110 Volt charge cordset, and the SPX charger. It has also charged off the Charge Point Networks Charging systems at Half Price Books in Dallas several times.

If there were a group of public charging systems that do not work with the Volt it would be nice to document those for GM's and our benefit.

thanks you all.
RM

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
I had a similar issue with on the east coast. The manufacturer had to reset the charge station or something. They sent their repar tech in the company Volt!

What brand was the charger? Have you contacted the manufacturer? The one I dealt with was extremely nice and very eager to resolve the situation. They even sent me a nice gift card for my troubles.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
There have been a lot of threads like this, including several where codes have been set in Volt computers as a result. I am going to think about 5 times before I plug my Volt into anybody's public charging station. Fortunately or unfortunately, there are no public charging stations anywhere near anywhere I go in the giant LA megalopolis, so it's a non-issue for me at this point. We've got a long way to go guys.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Maybe it's just my being overly critical (yes it happens!) but you'd think that with only two cars on the market this stuff would work without incident. You put in the charger and then test it with one Volt and one Leaf. Testing over.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The name of the manufacturer is "Juice Bar". There web site is http://www.freejuicebar.com/. I have contacted them, and they have responded immediately. They will be looking into it.

DonC... I agree for the some extent. Yet the cars were not "in the wild" when these devices were designed. Many of charging systems were based on the J1772 specs - testing was likely performed against the specs. Based on the previous thread regarding conversion of the portable leaf charger to a level two charger -- it appears the Volt appears not to be tolerant of a self test delay that occurs in some of these charging systems. Hence the Volt gives up on attempting to handshake. More info on this post regarding the Leaf Charge Cord use with the Volt....

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6903-Leaf-240V-charging-via-the-portable-120V-EVSE&p=68181#post68181

Now that cars are in production, yes it should be easy for charging system manufacturers to test against the few cars with J1772 ports. Yet it should also be in the interest of everyone the the specs be followed completely.

In the meantime, until all cars work with all charging systems it would be great to set up some type of list.

Here is mine so far.
1) Chargepoint networks -- works
2) Nissan Leaf Charger -- Does not work
3) JuiceBar Charger -- Does not work

anybody else have others? Thanks.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Many of charging systems were based on the J1772 specs - testing was likely performed against the specs.
Sounds to me like the "specs" for audio gear. I bet there are $200 speakers out there that exactly match the published "specs" for a set of $10,000 speakers. Ah, but do they sound the same??? So there are the published specs, and then there are the internal specs.

That's why we '11 Volt owners are the beta testers....

WVhybrid

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
SemaConnect (various Maryland charge stations) -- works (now, initially like JuiceBar they did not). You need a card.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am meeting electricians tomorrow to test the new settings for the 5 EV Charge America EV-2201-2-2 Combined Level 1 & 2 Charging Stations installed in Downtown San Antonio...So far only the 110v side works...These are in all downtown city garages and the Enchilada Red Central Library...and apparently one more at the Thousand Oaks Library...No card needed....We shall see...or will #2147 be subject to a Phaser Overload....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just to add something about charger compatibility. The Blink 240 volt charger works well with the Volt. There were 10 Blink public chargers installed this week in San Diego Balboa Park.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to add something about charger compatibility. The Blink 240 volt charger works well with the Volt. There were 10 Blink public chargers installed this week in San Diego Balboa Park.

Frankman

have you used the ones at balboa yet? im in san diego also and tryed them but no go with out rfid card. just ordered one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Frankman

have you used the ones at balboa yet? im in san diego also and tryed them but no go with out rfid card. just ordered one.
I got to try it out the day of the media event using someone else's RFID card. I too ordered an RFID card from Blink. One thing I didn't like to hear is that after the free charging period is over the cost for charging is going to be $2.50 per hour. The source for that is a Union Tribune reporter. At a delivery rate of 3.3kW that hourly rate is pretty expensive.

I'm going to be in Orange County next week and hope to try out the level 2 Chargepoint chargers at South Coast Plaza. If anyone has used them at that location lately could you let me know if they are still free? I have a Chargepoint card that I have not used yet but do you need to have the card if the charging is free?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm going to be in Orange County next week and hope to try out the level 2 Chargepoint chargers at South Coast Plaza. If anyone has used them at that location lately could you let me know if they are still free? I have a Chargepoint card that I have not used yet but do you need to have the card if the charging is free?
I'll respond to my own post. I used one of the three free Chargepoint chargers at South Coast Plaza near Nordstroms tonight. I charged for 3 hours while shopping and eating dinner and left the mall with a fully charged battery. Surprisingly, the entire time I was there the other two chargers were not being used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll respond to my own post. I used one of the three free Chargepoint chargers at South Coast Plaza near Nordstroms tonight. I charged for 3 hours while shopping and eating dinner and left the mall with a fully charged battery. Surprisingly, the entire time I was there the other two chargers were not being used.
Yeah it's great location too right next to the valet, love that it's prime reserve parking. Will definitely come in handy during holiday shopping and not needing to fight for parking! :)

3,600 Posts
Yeah it's great location too right next to the valet, love that it's prime reserve parking. Will definitely come in handy during holiday shopping and not needing to fight for parking!
I never thought about that, that is a great way to look at it, PenguinEV!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, i am sure this is dealt with in another thread somewhere, but I have had a hard time finding chargers. I have used a few aps but they are pretty general...IE Cabazon outlet stores....but doesn't tell you specifically where it is.

What do you guys recommend to use for finding a charging place. so far the only two i have found both had the EV1 paddles and did not work with the volt. one i found was totally by accident

thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Probably the most accurate apps are the apps for specific charging networks such as Chargepoint and Blink. Chargepoint has a very good iPhone app with detailed information. Blink does not have an app yet but it says that one will be available this year. The Chargepoint app showed me exactly where the chargers are, the type of charger connector and voltage, and if the charger is in use or available. You can also reserve a specific charger at a specific time. Once connected to the charger the app shows the status of the charge such as total kWh and the kW rate. On my charge the total kWhs were 10.3 and the rate was 3.35 kW. The app will also send you a text or email to let you know that the charging was interrupted and when complete (like OnStar).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts