GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sandy came and went here in Lyndhurst NJ and while we finally have power back, not everyone in town does. In fact, only 2 or 3 gas stations in town do. This was the scene this afternoon at one of them. The line of people extended 2 blocks. The line of cars 8 blocks. I hadn't even realized this was an issue being a Volt owner...it's getting crazy out there! $4.44/gallon too...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good time to pull the bicycle out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
atleast this station owner didnt raise prices. (the sign says $3.39)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
They've relaxed the rules about gas mixes and are allowing generators to use alternative fuels. Hopefully that will help with supply.

Good to hear that you made it through relatively unscathed. That was a huge weather event. WOW!

But yeah, so long as you have power you won't need to be lining up at the gas station. That has to be great news.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Of course if you had lost power where you charge, it might have been a different story.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Gas or electric???? With a Volt you have a much better chance of getting your life back to normal faster. Being able to get around and if need be charge a cell phone or two or get out the weather and warm up is priceless.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The truth is, owning the Volt is not any advantage in this horrible disaster aftermath. For the majority of New Jersey customers, including myself, power has been out and remains out. And a big part of those gas lines are people trying to get gas to run their generators, as you can see in the photo.

Fortunately for my family, our property damage has been minimal, we filled our gas tanks before the storm, and we have a backup generator that runs automatically on natural gas, the supply of which has not been interrupted here.

There are thousands of people really suffering right now in our area. It's no time, honestly, to be smug about owning a Volt, like "how smart are we?"

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The truth is, owning the Volt is not any advantage in this horrible disaster aftermath. For the majority of New Jersey customers, including myself, power has been out and remains out. And a big part of those gas lines are people trying to get gas to run their generators, as you can see in the photo.

Fortunately for my family, our property damage has been minimal, we filled our gas tanks before the storm, and we have a backup generator that runs automatically on natural gas, the supply of which has not been interrupted here.

There are thousands of people really suffering right now in our area. It's no time, honestly, to be smug about owning a Volt, like "how smart are we?"
Guess you didn't read my post, I wasn't being "smug" but pointing out that a Volt could help ease a families suffering by providing some "basic" comforts if even for 30 minutes or so.

Lighten up, we get the pain and suffering. I've lived through disasters all over the world in my 24+ years serving in the USAF and like the Red Cross providing a warm meal or Tide offering to wash some clothes, some comfort is not a small thing right now.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Guess you didn't read my post, I wasn't being "smug" but pointing out that a Volt could help ease a families suffering by providing some "basic" comforts if even for 30 minutes or so.

Lighten up, we get the pain and suffering. I've lived through disasters all over the world in my 24+ years serving in the USAF and like the Red Cross providing a warm meal or Tide offering to wash some clothes, some comfort is not a small thing right now.
Fine, smug was an overstatement but the overall thread was taking on the "how smart are we" tone, IMO. And I agree about comforts. But what makes the Volt any more useful for that than a gasoline car, unless you have electric power? And if you have electric power, you can do all that in the house.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I certainly hope Tri-state area Volt owners weren't playing the empty-tank hypermiling game, as having a full tank of gas in the Volt would be a pretty good thing during this emergency..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think this thread was being smug in the least. In fact, I spent the entire day driving friends and family to various stores for groceries, etc. so that they didn't waste what little gas they had in their cars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I found a little comfort in knowing that I'm not contributing to others trying to buy gas. The lines are crazy here in NJ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll definitely second the thought. Living in Central Jersey, every gas station I drive past is either closed or has lines out in the street. My friends and neighbors are telling of 1.5 hour waits to buy gas. I honestly am not feeling smug, and I'm even going out of my way not to point it out to them, but not having to wait in those lines is really making this week easier for me. This is the one place I feel safe to talk about it, as you folks must surely appreciate it too.

As for what happens without power.. the car was charged before the storm, so a short drive can take me somewhere where the power is still on to charge. Even stuck far from a source of electricity, though, the Volt sips less gas than any of my other cars. Thank GM for flexibility.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think this thread was being smug in the least. In fact, I spent the entire day driving friends and family to various stores for groceries, etc. so that they didn't waste what little gas they had in their cars.
I have to say, I got power back today. I didn't go out too much my volt had a full tank and 20 miles left in battery. After a couple hours on the charger, I was full and spend the rest of the day taking water to people who didn't have any (in my soda/homebrew kegs) and taking people to the grocery store as well. No one wants to waste what little gas they have. And I was happy to do it. When I couldn't charge it was nice to know I get about 40mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I am feeling a sense of relief that I drive a Volt during this stressful and anxious time. Using Plugshare, i found 2 charging stations that keeps my Volt charged. But not being able to go home for the past week and don't expect to for another, dealing with damage to the home, dealing with FEMA and the insurance company, being forgotten by our Mayor and utility, feeling helpless at not being able to do anything to make the situation any better for my family, just having the ability to drive around and do some of the things I need to do and not having to deal with more stress waiting in line for gas that may or may not arrive, driving in the Volt and not having to worry about where to get gas, is my one chance to try and forget, put some of what has happened this past week out of my mind.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To all those in NJ, NY, Conn and other locales back east... just wanted to say our thoughts are with you!

Stay safe. I hope that everything returns to normal (or as close to normal as possible) very quickly!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts