GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DID YOU KNOW YOUR VOLT Odometer Registers SPEED GOING BACKWARDS???

This means that mileage is also registered Plus and Minus.
I guess if you are too far over on your lease and don't want to pay for mileage or buy the car....this may be a way to UNregister mileage?? :)

However I am NOT suggesting you do that....I have NEVER seen another vehicle register speed in reverse?

Has anyone else??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Every car that I've had in the past 6 or 7 years show speed in reverse but I've never seen the odometer go backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
I very highly doubt the odometer will reverse miles. It's all digital; if anything it will count positive miles in both Reverse and Drive. My guess is it just doesn't count any in Reverse.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Just because the speedometer will indicate in reverse doesn't mean the odometer will count backwards. Have actually witnessed it counting down or just assuming?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Administrator
20,437 Posts
DID YOU KNOW THAT NO VOLT Odometer Registers SPEED IN ANY DIRECTION???
lol. Also, the TPMS does not register speed in either direction, nor does the A/C temp setting. Odd.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Since the Volt's gas engine is not always running perhaps hours of use for the gas engine should be tracked as is the case with aircraft engines.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Since the data for vehicle speed is just digital pulses from the sensor, it would stand to reason that speed is definitely registered in each direction. I also wouldn't be surprised that if one traveled far enough in reverse that it would increase the vehicle odometer since all the system knows is that there is motion based on the pulses coming from the speed sensor, not relative to direction.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
lol. Also, the TPMS does not register speed in either direction, nor does the A/C temp setting. Odd.
I did not know that. What a relief!

I wonder if I drive in reverse, will my guess-o-meter add miles? Maybe if I do it in hold mode my gas tank will refill.

I'm searching for a joke here but I think I'm coming up empty. Maybe if I drive in reverse the joke will search for me. :rolleyes:

Since the data for vehicle speed is just digital pulses from the sensor, it would stand to reason that speed is definitely registered in each direction. I also wouldn't be surprised that if one traveled far enough in reverse that it would increase the vehicle odometer since all the system knows is that there is motion based on the pulses coming from the speed sensor, not relative to direction.
Bingo!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think this is where we start talking about reverse mountain mode ninja antics.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think this is where we start talking about reverse mountain mode ninja antics.
I think this is where we request seats that spin around so we can drive forward in either position and keep a ZERO sum total miles on your odometer :)

·
Administrator
20,437 Posts
I think this is where we request seats that spin around so we can drive forward in either position and keep a ZERO sum total miles on your odometer :)

haha, there you go, that's the spirit. Yes, we had some playful fun with your post. Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jcanoe , to get % of engine used, try to move the MPG to liters per 100 km, since is always the limit of >250MPG,,,no limit in liters/100Km.,once you know total life time liters/100 km number, you should be able to get the TOTAL liters used in the lifetime of the car, very low number you have gone mostly electric... Would be interesting to know the gas consumption of a Volt that runs on ENGINE 100% of the time, probably around 6 liters/ 100 km.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
You can see the total miles driven with the engine in the stats.
I have used MyVolt.com for stats but since the summertime I cannot see my efficiency or mileage stats. The error message "Unable to update efficiency information" is displayed.

I can see the 12 month mileage data chart but not, for example, the gas miles or fuel used. When I try and display the last 7 days of the mileage data the error message " Unable to display the mileage summary chart" appears.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts