GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a little late since I already signed all of the paperwork, but I can't shake the feeling my dealer already claimed the federal tax credit. When I went to pick up they mentioned they traded the car to another neighboring state then traded it back for some reason. I didn't think anything of it at the time. The car was listed as new on all the papers, and the dealer didn't mention they already claimed the credit (which I read is required of them if they did). The car had 5 miles on it. Am I worrying too much about not getting the credit next April?

By the way, got a 2017 LT, Metallic Blue with Comfort Package for $30,250 (after $1000 July private offer) and 0.0% APR. Took calls to a dozen local dealers, traveling to two of them, not to mention the test drives a couple weeks ago at other dealers. I'm happy with the price as many dealers weren't budging.

federal-credit-synopsis.jpg

·
4,870 Posts
Dealers often trade cars, that shouldn't mean they claimed the credit. I'm thinking you'll be all set.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
This may be a little late since I already signed all of the paperwork, but I can't shake the feeling my dealer already claimed the federal tax credit. When I went to pick up they mentioned they traded the car to another neighboring state then traded it back for some reason. I didn't think anything of it at the time. The car was listed as new on all the papers, and the dealer didn't mention they already claimed the credit (which I read is required of them if they did). The car had 5 miles on it. Am I worrying too much about not getting the credit next April?

By the way, got a 2017 LT, Metallic Blue with Comfort Package for $30,250 (after $1000 July private offer) and 0.0% APR. Took calls to a dozen local dealers, traveling to two of them, not to mention the test drives a couple weeks ago at other dealers. I'm happy with the price as many dealers weren't budging.

View attachment 114394
You should be fine...especially if it only has 5 miles on it. I don't think dealer trades of used cars even happen much, if ever.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My Dad has been retired and driving DX cars for almost 20 years, he swaps cars between dealers almost every day and it's very common (and BTW I think most of the guys who do DX runs are old retired guys and not interested in driving like a teenager so no they don't treat the vehicles roughly at all). When the car gets swapped, so does the MCO and the vehicle is still eligible as long as it has not been titled -- which doesn't happen until the first purchaser does so. So you should be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for alleviating my fears! First new car purchase ever so it's all new to me, not just the tax credit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello........ You can do a Title search for as cheap as about 5$. Less then Carfax. Or do the Car fax for increased peace of mind. This will tell you if the car was titled or not. That is what I did. If you do not mind waiting 4 weeks or so, you can get a search directly from the State for about 2.00. (at least in Florida). This should be more official. I recentlly did so, thinking that maybe the dealer did not really take out the Title on the Demo I bought. As the initial Title application I have says 1st owner. But I believe now that this meant 1 owner now, and his just poor terminology. Since i have conflicting documents I needed to get a Title search directly from the state.
The demo i have had 2000+ miles on it when bought
If you read all the verbage it seems like a Dealer takening the credit for a Demo would be illegal. But there is one small loophole.

You should be fine...especially if it only has 5 miles on it. I don't think dealer trades of used cars even happen much, if ever.

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
Thanks for alleviating my fears! First new car purchase ever so it's all new to me, not just the tax credit.
So instead of waiting until next tax season to collect your tax credit, if you are sure you fully qualify, reduce your withholdings and pocket the tax credit now. Just don't buy a bass boat with it or forget to turn it back on when you get close to saving $7500

1 - 7 of 7 Posts