GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 16 volt was hit last Thursday (Wakefield, MA, on the main street). so sad, both passenger doors were damaged and could not be opened.

The other driver tried to enter the traffic to the opposite lane, clearly, he was only watching the traffic on the other direction, and did not noticed that I am passing him (probably too quiet for him to hear). When I passed him by 1/3 of the body length, he started accelerating (probably saw a gap in the opposite direction), hit directly to my right side ().

Sadly, when I got the police report today, the statement was totally biased towards the other driver's statement - claiming that I drove to the opposite side so that he can hit me. this is ridiculous. It was too bad that I did not look for witness after this happened. I had a dash-cam, but only found out after that it was not in recording mode :(

Any one had experience to change the police report? I can't believe that the police officer completely took the other side of the story, and ignored the obvious.

also, anyone know how much it is to replace two doors? I bet it will be super expensive, never had a real accident in my life (only scratched by other cars twice - never at fault)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
doors.jpg
so sad :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the accident. At least nobody was hurt.

If you believe the other driver made a false or even just misleading statement, it may be an indication that accidents are not exactly a new thing to that person. It may be helpful if you can obtain a copy of their driving record.

Your insurance company may do some investigating anyway, including getting their driving record. They would rather the other person's insurance pay for the damage to your car.

If your record is a lot better than that of the other party, it may lend credence to your version of the events leading to the accident.

At least that helped me in an accident I was in many years ago. I'm talking over 40 years ago, so someone else may have more current information on what to do in your situation.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.
(probably too quite for him to hear)
I think you meant to say too "quiet". In my opinion I don't think driving an ICE car would have made any difference as far as sound and this idiot hitting you. Unless maybe if you were zooming by on a Harley-Davidson full throttle with straight pipes.
Looks very obvious to me, he smashed both your doors and he's the one who ran into you as opposed to you running into him. Maybe you need to get a good lawyer.

I had a dash-cam, but only found out after that it was not in recording mode :(
I would trash that dash cam and buy a real one. I don't know of any dash cams that do not automatically start recording once the ignition is turned on. You never have to think about it, it just works. It would have really made a difference for you. It has made a huge difference for me. I once had a small incident in my Camry in a Safeway parking lot where me and another car backed out at the exact same time from angled spaces and bumped each other. The young lady was nice and we both explained how we did not see each other. However once her parents learned of the incident they changed the story to her being completely backed out and stopped and then I backed out into her so I am 100% at fault! Ha ha nice try. I submitted my dash cam video (I had front and rear) to their insurance company and that shut them up immediately and the fault was changed to 50/50 as it should have been.

You shouldn't have to be worrying about the repair costs when the other guy's insurance should be paying for everything.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Did you get a picture of the other car? Did the police make out an accident diagram? Picture worth a thousand words.
Yes, it will be super expensive (relatively speaking) to fix. I hit a fox with my bolt - fascia and wheel well damage - $1600.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 16 volt was hit last Thursday (Wakefield, MA, on the main street). so sad, both passenger doors were damaged and could not be opened.

The other driver tried to enter the traffic to the opposite lane, clearly, he was only watching the traffic on the other direction, and did not noticed that I am passing him (probably too quite for him to hear). When I passed him by 1/3 of the body length, he started accelerating (probably saw a gap in the opposite direction), hit directly to my right side ().

Sadly, when I got the police report today, the statement was totally biased towards the other driver's statement - claiming that I drove to the opposite side so that he can hit me. this is ridiculous. It was too bad that I did not look for witness after this happened. I had a dash-cam, but only found out after that it was not in recording mode :(

Any one had experience to change the police report? I can't believe that the police officer completely took the other side of the story, and ignored the obvious.

also, anyone know how much it is to replace two doors? I bet it will be super expensive, never had a real accident in my life (only scratched by other cars twice - never at fault)
Sorry to hear about your car. As was already said: glad to see there were no injuries. It'll be repaired as good as new, body shops do an excellent job these days.

Were the two of you parallel to one another with you to the left and he on the right? Or were you in the lane of traffic and he was trying to cross over that lane into the opposite lane? Did the two of you not call the police to the location of the accident?

As for the dashcam I'm with EVscout if the camera isn't dependable. The one I have, a Blackvue, has a voice alert informing me that recording has started. It can be disabled but I left it enabled to ensure it's recording.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Seems like it would be hard to argue it wasn't the fault of the other driver based on the damage, especially if you were on the main road, and the other driver was pulling out from a secondary road or business. I assume the other car had front end damage, indicating that they hit you. I would think a judge would see it that way, regardless of the police report.

My wife's SUV was recently rear-ended while stopped at a red light, and the driver of the other car tried to argue that somehow it wasn't his fault. It was something crazy, like that she wasn't accelerating fast enough when the light turned green. It seems like most people can't admit they could ever make a mistake or not be paying attention. In Michigan, a no fault state, your insurance company makes the determination on whether you are at fault or not.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the accident. At least nobody was hurt.

If you believe the other driver made a false or even just misleading statement, it may be an indication that accidents are not exactly a new thing to that person. It may be helpful if you can obtain a copy of their driving record.
Not sure if it's the same everywhere but here in FL, you can get anyone's driving record by just doing a court record search online. Everything from accidents to speeding tickets are recorded with the court (even if you pay and don't go to court for the ticket). I assume you know the person's name if you exchanged info.

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for everyone's kind reply and comfort.

definitely need a better dash cam, I could have save all the troubles, didn't know it wasn't recording, even though every time I made sure it was plugged. I stopped by the neighborhood again today, but the only surveillance I found was pointed to a different direction.

I am attaching the car positions pictured in my report (left) and the police report (right).

accident.jpg

The police report almost entirely followed the statement from the other driver, who claimed that I drove my car across the double-yellow line to pass him and then he hit me. This is probably the only odd that he could bet on to put the liability on me, but surprisingly, the police bought his story. The officer spent over 10 min talking to the other guy, and only chatted with me for less than 2 min.

I called the officer this morning, as expected, he refused to changed the report. His justification was that the other car's damage was the bumper on the passenger side. This is ridiculous, as long as he drive turns towards the opposite lane, it will always damage the passenger side bumper, unless he already blocked the way and hit head-on. Also, this happened at the rush hour with busy traffic on both sides, one car next to another, if I moved across the lanes. I will be hit on the opposite traffic, if not by him. All the shattered bumper derbies are located on this side of the road, nothing even at the center line. but the officer refused to change anything despite this.

The liability now depends on the discretion of the adjusters (both sides, happened to be the same company). but I suspect that they will give the police report a heavy weight, if not overwhelmingly. I can't blame anyone, except that I did not have a working dash cam :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Michigan, a no fault state, your insurance company makes the determination on whether you are at fault or not.
actually, I just heard about this word "no fault" from my colleague after this happened. what exactly does it mean? the police does not decide on liability but the insurance? or nobody will be decided at fault or not, but everyone's insurance will increase (this is version that my colleague told me, but I don't believe that)?

·
Registered
277 Posts
actually, I just heard about this word "no fault" from my colleague after this happened. what exactly does it mean? the police does not decide on liability but the insurance? or nobody will be decided at fault or not, but everyone's insurance will increase (this is version that my colleague told me, but I don't believe that)?
It basically means that you have to go through your own insurance, regardless of who is at fault. Then you, or your insurance can sue for what is called a mini-tort to get your deductible, up to $500, back from the at fault driver or their insurance. I pay a small amount extra for a policy that doesn't require me to pay my deductible if I'm not at fault. Also, insurance still can't raise your rates if you weren't found at fault for the accident. I don't really like the system, and it also means, if you don't carry collision coverage on an older vehicle and someone else damages your car, the most you are getting from them is $500.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get a picture of the other car? Did the police make out an accident diagram? Picture worth a thousand words.
posted the diagram of the accident (my version and the police's version) in my above post. the picture of the other car is attached here.

accident2.jpg

Yes, it will be super expensive (relatively speaking) to fix. I hit a fox with my bolt - fascia and wheel well damage - $1600.
an appraiser will come to inspect tomorrow, will know how much it costs. I asked a chevy collision center, and they gave me a very (very) rough estimate of $4000-$7000, which I found hard to believe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Were any tickets issued? Even with the officer's drawing, I don't see how you could have been at fault. Maybe you swerved into the other lane a bit when you saw him coming, but regardless of where you were, there's no reason that the other driver should have pulled out into traffic if it wasn't clear. Good luck. This all sucks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It basically means that you have to go through your own insurance, regardless of who is at fault.
I see. my insurance did ask me if I want to use my policy or the other guy's policy for the repair (latter requires them to decide on liability first). so, looks like MA is not one of those no-fault states. I have a $500 deductible (they will also give me $100 credit for not having any accident), but if the insurance used the police report to rule me at fault, the premium will for sure increase next year, probably significantly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Were any tickets issued? Even with the officer's drawing, I don't see how you could have been at fault. Maybe you swerved into the other lane a bit when you saw him coming, but regardless of where you were, there's no reason that the other driver should have pulled out into traffic if it wasn't clear.
no, no ticket issued, but in the police report, the description claimed my car "did not slow or stop but drove on, it moved left in an attempt to pass him", I think that indent to put the liability to me. really disappointed on the officer's report. the entire paragraph has only 1 short sentence from me quoting I said I "thought I had room to pass".

Good luck. This all sucks!
thanks, can't wait to get over this, and have my volt repaired. now I can't open the the passenger side doors.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Were any tickets issued? Even with the officer's drawing, I don't see how you could have been at fault. Maybe you swerved into the other lane a bit when you saw him coming, but regardless of where you were, there's no reason that the other driver should have pulled out into traffic if it wasn't clear. Good luck. This all sucks!
Exactly! The only way I can see the situation spawning a police report like that is if the other driver claimed they had pulled out and already cleared your lane and were travelling, in lane, in the opposing lane already... and then you crossed the double yellow and swerved in front of them making them hit your passenger side. The officer didn't have the common sense to see the level of damage and that the impact could have pushed you into the opposing lane? And/or the natural tendency would be to swerve left to avoid the accident if no oncoming traffic?

I'd be livid in this instance. I hope everything (eventually) is turned around.

Edit: Also, if that opposing lane is where the officer found the vehicles, he can't put two and two together and figure out that if you ended up in the opposing lane and you have damage all the way down the car, the accident obviously didn't HAPPEN at that point but earlier... and probably in YOUR lane? That is, if you swerved in front of the other driver as they claimed, your stopping point would have to be off the shoulder on the left side of the drawing (past the opposing lane) before you stopped: else it wouldn't have scraped all the way down both doors!

Mike

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mass is a no-fault state, so you have to go to your own insurance company to pay for your damage.

Having said that, it only takes a look at both cars and seeing the diagram, doesn't matter if it's your's or the cop's, because the other driver hit your car. Simple as that. He has damage on the front. Yours is on the side. Why the cop took the other person's story is a bit sad, seeing as your were the victim, but it doesn't matter really. The insurance companies will argue it out, but the other guy is at fault.

As for cost, I had almost exactly the same damage, though it was caused by a deer, and not by another car. It dinged both doors, which had to be replaced. Silver 16. Actually, they could easily have been repaired, but the adjuster paid for new ones. You also have rocker panel damage, which mine didn't have. And, you have what appears to be a little dent in the front quarter panel, wheel well. That'll have to be pulled out and fixed.

My damage cost Liberty Mutual about $3500, which was two doors and painting. There was a little scratch on the front quarter panel as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
He probably has damage to the car's body structure where the rear door hinges are mounted too. I would be very surprised if the cost to repair it all is less than $5K - The $7K estimate is probably closer to correct than the $4K one

As to this cost being related in any way to driving a 'quiet car' . . . . I seriously doubt that played any role in this accident. Drivers don't see and avoid only the noisy cars - Sound or the lack of it doesn't have much if anything to do with it

Don

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would recommend asking your insurance agent as they're in a much better position to answer these questions.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts