GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Gen 2 fix the "disappearing" EV miles issue if parked with <5 remaining?

With Gen 1, if I park the car with only a few EV miles left, I'll usually return to the car in CS mode. It is fairly unpredictable whether anything less than 5 miles will still remain after parking and shutting off the car for over 30 minutes (like running an errand on my way home from work).

While I've gotten used to this quirk and plan around it now (like using up EV miles on the highway instead of "saving" 2 EV miles for local driving if I have to stop first), I'm just curious if the Gen 2 software is now better with this.

Anybody notice this issue on the Gen 2?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The Gen 2's don't have this problem. Also, I thought there was a TSB for the Gen 1's that had this issue.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only TSB I am aware of is for the '13s that would have 5-7 EV miles drop while parked, but that's different (i unfortunately had that issue). I'm talking about a situation where:

There are 5 miles (or less) EV miles remaining (to "empty").
Park the car, shut it off.
Return 30+ minutes later.
Battery now shows "empty" and car is in CS mode.

Happens in Gen 1 all the time. It's not really a "problem" just a "quirk" with Gen 1 that happens.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Actually, I've had this happen to me a few times since my commute is borderline during fall and spring. Usually, it's when I've consumed 13.9 kWh of battery then this happens. I'll stop to pickup something at a store that's slightly uphill of home (like, 1 deg of slant) with like 1 mile of range on the GOM. Next time I start my Volt to go home, it's in CS mode.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've parked my Gen2 in high ambient conditions with 5 miles remaining, and when I restarted several hours later it showed 1 mile instead. And as I shifted into drive to move out of the parking lot it went into CS mode. But again, it was mid 90's for outside temp.

Keith

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I wonder if the battery temperature is changing while parked, or if thermal management still runs for a while after the car is parked to get the non-ambient heat pulled from a pack that has been recently worked. An hour or two of pumps and coolant chilling could pull a couple of miles off the range, or (if BTM doesn't happen) latent heat could push the voltage out from what it was when the car was turned off (with still cool coolant freshly in the battery).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The only TSB I am aware of is for the '13s that would have 5-7 EV miles drop while parked, but that's different (i unfortunately had that issue).
I wish I had dealers near me that cared to fix it. I have miles disappear all the time while parked and the dealer said there are no TSBs for it and the “volt expert” has never heard of that or the axle but click issue. And he is the “volt expert” for the state. He travels to other dealerships to help them supposedly but I was able to fix my volt when he couldn’t...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Same problem in both my 2013s. If parked with less that 5 miles left on the charge, it is very likely to evaporate. I have even seen it lose a mile or two if I stop at a convenience store for a few minutes. Now I find that if I just leave it running I dont lose those miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts