GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called the volt advisor number for the first time, and they said no. Does anyone know otherwise?
I saw a used one on ebay [I think] with over 100k, who else has high mileage ones out there?
I really want one but they aren't proven yet are they; like the taxi cabs with 300k miles, for the FEH,awd and prius I have now are. I just need a bit more coaxing if anybody has seen those stats I couldn't find them on the net, either

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
As I recall, the testing went to 250k miles, theo. Worst case, you may be the first candidate to get a price on replacing the battery if you think it's needed. The price we have seen advertised is under $3k.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The Volt may have high mileage, but how many EV miles does it have?

My 2012 Volt has 44,800 EV miles and I cannot tell one difference in my EV range compared to the day I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on the odometer. I am always striving to get the most out of my battery and probably push it to the limits more than almost anyone out there.

I almost never use my engine, it's been almost 2 years since I let my Volt switch to CS mode. So according to me, the battery seems to be holding up extremely well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched a video where they disassembled a Volt,,, every single thing. pretty neat, fast, time lapsed-can't remember but seems harder to replace being where it is is all, LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2005 VW Passat TDI with 120,000 miles on it. When cars get to that mileage range the things that need replaced/repaired are brakes,mufflers,water pumps,timing chain....in other words the stuff that the Volt uses sparingly.
I would not worry about the mileage as much as the care the car got to reach that mileage.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I just called the volt advisor number for the first time, and they said no. Does anyone know otherwise?
I saw a used one on ebay [I think] with over 100k, who else has high mileage ones out there?
I really want one but they aren't proven yet are they; like the taxi cabs with 300k miles, for the FEH,awd and prius I have now are. I just need a bit more coaxing if anybody has seen those stats I couldn't find them on the net, either
I understand your concerns, and certainly some of the early volts have a lot of mileage for a 3 year old car which you could review on volt-stats, but really, the point of the Volt is that you don't need to worry about battery range- Your concerns are misplaced.

If a person buys a leaf, and is dependent on having 75 miles of range, and over time their range decreases below that, then they have a problem: a several hour layover for a charge, if a person buys a tesla, and is dependent on the 175 or 250 or whatever mile range, and it declines over time, then they have a problem: a shorter layover for a charge. The volt buyer on the other hand, is NEVER dependent on our battery. Our Volt battery is our partner- not our adversary: helping us use less petroleum, but not stopping us in our tracks. We can add range during any trip at a rate of 150 miles per minute if we choose to. now there is nothing wrong with the Leaf or Tesla, and for specific people and situations they are the right car.

But owning a Volt is a completely different mindset- I had a 150 mile day Sunday in 20 Degree weather- no big deal in my Volt!

If you are going to buy a Volt, buy it because it is a great car, oh and it will help you use a lot lot less gasoline, in 8000 miles, I've used 32 gallons.... about as much as I've put in my snowblower and lawnmower in the same time frame...

yes, the Plug in Prius and Plug in Fords are nice cars too, with many advantages, but from my driving perspective, neither has the driving quality of a volt and in either I would have used an additional 75-100 gallons of gasoline to go those 8000 miles.

"I really want one" do you really want to put 300,000 miles on a car? Should that be a deciding factor in your next car purchase? how many miles have you ever put on any car? How many years did that take? how old will you be if you buy a car today and own it out to the 300,000 miles you are worried about? I just put 230,000 miles on a windstar, and I've put 205,000 miles on a caprice before that. people who put that kind of distance on a car are rare- and we are regarded as a bit odd as the car gets older and older and keeps going . When you have the oldest car on your street as your daily driver, and it is 8 years older than the next oldest car on your street, your neighbors will start calling the police to have "wellbeing checks" done on you. so if you really want a Volt, go get it, and don't worry about the battery. and I hope you do join me someday in the Volts with 200,000 miles club that I am so intent on joining. By the way, it will be 2027 when I get there, and I would be over 70 if I live that long...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am #7 on the voltstats.net with 77Kmiles and almost 50K in EV miles. I was getting the same distance as the day I bought it till I change the tires @ 70K to Non OEM tires (Still Low Rolling Resistance). I fully discharge and recharge twice a day during the week for my 38mile commute and have mainly charged with Level 1 Charger. I just replace the 12V battery when it started going dead.
That is the only problem I have had.

Love my Volt

·
Registered
500 Posts
No 6 on voltstats.net here, (sorted by ev miles). Just like #7, no problems and no decrease in range. S/b passing 50k ev miles later this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts