GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone needed a brake pad replacement so far, oldest Volt being 10 years old.
If you did, I'd appreciate if you can give some info about your car and your driving habits. Like:

Year your car manufactured
Year you acquired it
Your average yearly mileage since you owned it
Your driving patterns (how much inner city, how much highway driving)
Anything else you think which might be useful

Thank you

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am curious if anyone needed a brake pad replacement so far, oldest Volt being 10 years old.
If you did, I'd appreciate if you can give some info about your car and your driving habits. Like:

Year you acquired it

Thank you
2012, 186,000 miles, never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Fronts on 100k 2011. My wife is a "hard braker"... Generally, brake pads and rotors last a LONG time on the Volt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My Volt sat outside for a while when my father drove it. All new brakes at 79k a few months ago. Not sure how we managed to pull that one off, but the dealer said they were metal-on-metal.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
536 Posts
2012, 90k miles. Original fronts, but oddly the rear pads and rotors were both replaced a day or so before I bought it (by the used car dealer). I am assuming this was to pass a Missouri state inspection, but no idea why the rears would be shot if the original rusty fronts still had some pad material remaining…

·
Registered
669 Posts
My 2011 with 177,000 on the odometer still has all original fronts. They will be due pretty soon. The rears were changed about 18 months ago, only because the pad had separated from the backing plate, a common issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
CLARIFICATION: At 186,000 miles I was told I had 6mm left on my pads. They have never been replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
2017 (purchased in 2016) and drove for three years/44k miles (traded it in 2019) - brakes looked brand new and never even once had brake dust on the wheels.

·
Registered
2013 Volt (Red), 2012 Volt (Silver)
24 Posts
2013 model, 181k miles. Original front brakes, but had to replace the rear at about 160k last year. They were worn down pretty well.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
536 Posts
I never drive in “Low”. I much prefer coasting when the throttle is lifted.
I am not a huge fan of “L” either. It’s like downshifting 2 or more gears on a manual car. I wish they could give you a L.5 or L.25 for a little less regen braking. That would be perfect.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just turned 75k miles on my 2014. I bought it used in May 2018 with 41k, so I've had it 3 1/2 years and 34k miles (10k/yr, 85% battery, rural and suburban and 15% gasoline, mostly long highway trips).
I've also just put on my second set of rear rotors due to rust and pulsation. I don't know if the first of those rotors were original or if a prior owner had changed them, but the ones I installed lasted far less time and fewer miles than I expected. I think the relative lack of rear hydraulic brake use allows surface rust on the rotors to accumulate and penetrate rather than being scraped off with each brake application well before it can progress. My high wear rate is more likely my commute (short distance, low speeds, mostly regen braking, with little time and/or distance of hydraulic brake activation), and my work schedule (3 1/2 days work, then 3 1/2 days off. The car might sit stationary for days).
I use the operator dependent, foot activated, continually variable, "L" braking mode. The use of L position for increased "engine" braking would tend to make this rust accumulation more likely due to even less rear brake use.
The original post was specifically asking about PAD replacement. I replaced the rear pads with my first rotor change due to wear on the pads (so maybe original to the car), but left my barely-worn replacement pads in the calipers with these newest rotors. I think the fronts are original rotors with one set of pads during my ownership.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2012 has all original still at 94K. Mostly city driving. I drive in low, my wife doesn't, and she drives it slightly more than I do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you lovey in the rust belt and haven't at least serviced the calipers, you can nearly guarantee that the pads are seized up in there and not doing squat. This is particularly an issue with people who use heavy regen or the car sits a lot. I'm a Nissan tech and see it all the time on leafs. All cars really. I did the rear brakes on my volt during lunch today and the rotors were solid rust and the pads were totally seized.

·
Registered
44 Posts
80k miles, 2012. Both front and back replaced due to rust. Inner front pads were just eaten away by rust on discs, until it was metal-on-metal. Outward facing pads were fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Year you acquired it

Thank you
I have a 2012 and a 2013 volt. one has 190000 and the other has 101000 miles brakes pads looks like new on both.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Year you acquired it

Thank you
I have a 2014 Volt in NE Ohio that I bought 12-2016 with 51k miles. At 97,000 miles I had to replace the rear brakes because they rusted and stuck on the caliper and wore a groove in the rotor (see the picture) The pad was not worn that bad and the front brakes still look like new. I bought PowerStop CRK5552 from Rock Auto and replaced the rotor and pads and made sure the slider on the caliper was greased well. I had a picture of the rear brake rotor at 77,000 miles and the brake pads looked new and the rotor was smooth. I should have greased the slider at that point and I probably wouldn't of had any issues. I always drive in low and use regen for the majority of my braking. Twice a week I'll do a hard brake going down a hill to make sure my mechanical brakes are exercised.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts