GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Question: ?? When flooring the pedal, during accelleration (In ICE Mode)the DIC display shows no KW yellow bar zipping down from engine Icon on the right side. Even though the Engine is at high RPM. The yellow bar zips up to the battery on the upper LEFT from the KW in the center, And No yellow bar from Engine icon on the upper right. BUT it does register a large KW of 100 to 120KW, which has to be coming from the engine. If the Engine is working then a yellow bar should also be zipping down from the Engine icon on the right. especially at full throttle. While crusing it does show a yellow KW bar coming from down the Engine on the upper Right, but not while flooring it. Just while in slow and Fast traffic

Background details and TMI:
All TFM says is that it shows power from either the engine or battery. Insufficient data. Although they did a good job on the power flow display on the center console. I guess I could run both displays at the same time while flooring the Engine. But then my attention would be in 3 places.

In ICE mode there are two modes. In one all KW goes from Eng to motor/GeN to inverter and to batt or main motor. Under high loads in the secound mode the engine also helps the main motor thru the secound motor/gen. Note this is a Incomplete description, see videos and posts for more info. Although in the video from GM, Pam something says you can use full throttle in the ICE mode where the engine is not clutched to the main motor. Which contradicts the first video about the secound mode only being used under high loads.

The KW display is a great way to see how much power it takes to accelerate or speed. The ball is simplerer. I use both

This thread shows a pic of the DIC display for those who may not have it
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?173649-Question-about-the-DIC-s-rotating-green-ball.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not sure what you're asking.
While crusing it does show a yellow KW bar coming from the Engine on the upper left, but not while flooring it.
The left side shows net power (yellow if pulling from battery, green if putting power back into the battery).
The number in the center is the number of KW being used by the car. (drive and climate power)
The right side shows power being generated by the engine.

If I'm misunderstanding your question, please clarify.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello ...Sorry for the confusion and TMI. I mixed up left and right twice!! The Op has corrected and revised the above.
TKS for the reply. I know how it's supposed to work, but it does not seem to be doing it right.

Not sure what you're asking.

The left side shows net power (yellow if pulling from battery, green if putting power back into the battery).

The number in the center is the number of KW being used by the car. (drive and climate power)
The right side shows power being generated by the engine.

If I'm misunderstanding your question, please clarify.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
When flooring it, there's often a lag between power demand and engine response, so the battery supplies much of the power for short bursts of acceleration. The engine eventually (seconds later) ramps up and runs harder to replenish that energy.

Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

Or is it really showing zero power coming from the engine even when you're certain it's already running at relatively-high rpm? If that's really the case, then I'm stumped.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello...... No ENG Lag. I can hear the RPM's winding up as the yellow bar zips up the to bat icon on the left. It is very evident when flooring the pedal. Maybe somone can try flooring it in ICE and let me know if they see the same. Maybe the lag is in the DIC?

When flooring it, there's often a lag between power demand and engine response, so the battery supplies much of the power for short bursts of acceleration. The engine eventually (seconds later) ramps up and runs harder to replenish that energy.

Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

Or is it really showing zero power coming from the engine even when you're certain it's already running at relatively-high rpm? If that's really the case, then I'm stumped.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have made the same observation as the OP in my 2016 Volt. I can hear the ICE spinning up into the high RPMs, but no indication on the KW display, exactly as he says. I had this happen repeatedly last Friday driving from San Jose to Napa and back (200 miles total), while accelerating to pass on the freeway. Sometimes the RPMs seem to surge (according to my ear) when I take my foot OFF the accelerator. So I got to confirm the problem several times.

BTW, I just had the engine misfire recall done, and this has been happening since then. I can't recall ever hearing the problem before the recall, but I didn't have much freeway time prior to the recall, so it may have been happening but I missed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts