GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a tough one.

I use Apple CarPlay exclusively to make calls. I can't pair via bluetooth because of another CRapple bug that gets worse when the phone is paired via bluetooth (discussed in another thread). At least half the time on CarPlay when calling into a conference call, or when I have to use the dialpad to access directories, extensions, etc. the numbers are wrongly recognized by the call-in systems. I'll dial a "9" and it thinks it's a "5" or worse, I get a "I don't recognize your input" error.

This frustrating issue has required me to pull over, disconnect from CarPlay, manually dial in using my phone, and then reconnect so I could get on a call. It works when NOT using CarPlay.

Of course, given the multiple systems in play here--CarPlay, MyLink, my carrier, the iPhone itself, etc. -- I don't know who's "at fault" for this bug.

However, since it works when NOT connected to CarCrap errr CarPlay, it must be something with either MyLink or CarPlay.

Any other CarPlay users have this issue?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding and trying to help, but unfortunately those videos were dealing with speaking NAV directions and speaking to call people (which I don't bother with since it rarely works).

I'm talking about the actual dialpad buttons that come up when you select the dialpad to manually input digits using the phone app in apple carplay. The dialpad numbers often don't send out the "right" numbers to call-in services.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Thanks for responding and trying to help, but unfortunately those videos were dealing with speaking NAV directions and speaking to call people (which I don't bother with since it rarely works).

I'm talking about the actual dialpad buttons that come up when you select the dialpad to manually input digits using the phone app in apple carplay. The dialpad numbers often don't send out the "right" numbers to call-in services.
I noticed this problem when I first purchased my 2017 Volt in the summer of 2016. I was never able to resolve the issue and would have to disconnect from Carplay, dial-in to my AT&T teleconference and enter the access code using BT, then reconnect to Carplay or just use BT for the remainder of my commute. My phone at the time was new, an iPhone SE. I did that for 6 months then the need to dial-in from the road went away. Sorry to hear it is still an issue. The problem was some compatibility issue between AT&T's network, Apple Car Play generated DTMF.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear it is still an issue. The problem was some compatibility issue between AT&T's network, Apple Car Play generated DTMF.
Thanks--looks like I might have to go down the rabbit hole of opening various cases with GM, Apple, and my cellular carrier. Unfortunately, my experience with doing this is that they all point fingers at each other and no one tries to solve the problem. I'll see what progress I can make and report back.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Unfortunately, my experience with doing this is that they all point fingers at each other and no one tries to solve the problem. I'll see what progress I can make and report back.
I've also had this same issue when using CarPlay in the Bolt, where dialing into a normal phone number is fine but then entering the access code for a teleconference is not recognized properly. I've had to do the workaround of disconnecting phone from CarPlay, dialing in manually, then reconnect to listen to the call. I only connect to teleconferences from the car maybe one or twice a year so the workaround is no big deal, but if you're someone who connects to them on a frequent basis I can certainly understand the frustration!

Good luck on getting the bug reported, and once it gets to the proper party I bet they can fix it really quickly - once the proper party accepts that yep it's their code that needs updating. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Did you try using old-style modem dialing? If I remember correctly, you can use a series of “#” or “,” to add time between the dialed number and the access code. Just add the string together in a phone contact and dial the whole thing at once. We used this method to programmatically send data to a digital radio pager back in the day.

Something like:

8885551212,,,1234567#,#

Where # is the conference prompt for ATT.

Edit: learn some thing new every day category: iPhone supports this directly in contact phone number set up.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Did you try using old-style modem dialing? If I remember correctly, you can use a series of “#” or “,” to add time between the dialed number and the access code. Just add the string together in a phone contact and dial the whole thing at once. We used this method to programmatically send data to a digital radio pager back in the day.

Something like:

8885551212,,,1234567#,#

Edit: learn some thing new every day category: iPhone supports this directly in contact phone number set up.
I tried entering pause commands "," between the stored phone number and the access code but this did not fix the issue with the AT&T teleconference center receiving correct DTMF. It was a problem to get CarPlay to generate the correct DTMF tones even when you enter the teleconference access code digits via the keypad.

AT&T Teleconference number (USA) 888-436-6840
https://www.teleconference.att.com/servlet/glbAccess?process=1&accessCode=7443758&accessNumber=2158616239

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

Something like:

8885551212,,,1234567#,#

It was a problem to get CarPlay to generate the correct DTMF tones even when you enter the teleconference access code digits via the keypad.

AT&T Teleconference number (USA) 888-436-6840
https://www.teleconference.att.com/servlet/glbAccess?process=1&accessCode=7443758&accessNumber=2158616239
The method he's describing would bypass CarPlay and the vehicle's touchscreen and allow the iPhone to send the tones directly.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The method he's describing would bypass CarPlay and the vehicle's touchscreen and allow the iPhone to send the tones directly.
When an iPhone is connected to the Volt via a lightning connector/USB cable, if CarPlay is enabled on the iPhone, then the phone will use CarPlay to communicate with the Volt's wifi hotspot and LTE cellular connection. If you enable wifi for phone calls on the iPhone the phone will try and use an available wifi connection before using the phone carrier's LTE network. If you set the iPhone so it uses the phone's cellular connection for voice and data, not the wifi hotspot and the OnStar LTE modem then maybe the DTMF tones would be directly generated by the iPhone without going through CarPlay.

Using an iPhone handheld to dial the AT&T Teleconference service and entering the access code via the contacts list or via the keypad was never a problem. Connecting to the Volt's Infotainment system via BT audio and using the iPhone to access AT&T was not a problem, even worked if you have wifi calling enabled on the iPhone (assuming you have an OnStar data plan.) The problem only presented itself when attempting to dial AT&T, then enter access code via the contacts list or using the projected keypad on the Infotainment screen or from the phone's screen when using CarPlay. Something in CarPlay is corrupting DTMF codes.

I did not want to be forced to disconnect the lightning connector, ending CarPlay session along with losing Apple Maps navigation, just to be able to dial up the AT&T teleconference service and enter my access code. Then reconnect to CarPlay and hope that everything I already had open was re-established via CarPlay.

Wanted to add that my iPhone SE is on the AT&T network as is my OnStar 4G LTE unlimited data plan.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My point is that you are getting to ATT already. There is no need to use any manual method, including CarPlay, to enter the access code. Unless the car is taking over the call before the string can complete? In that case, can you try using voice commands to initiate the call?

Somehow, you need to bypass this apparent DTMF bug until they(?) fix it. Is there a way to figure out what CarPlay is sending? Maybe you can send a “wrong” access code that sends the correct tones.

Or use a tone generator through the mic like the Terminator chick.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
My point is that you are getting to ATT already. There is no need to use any manual method, including CarPlay, to enter the access code. Unless the car is taking over the call before the string can complete? In that case, can you try using voice commands to initiate the call?

Somehow, you need to bypass this apparent DTMF bug until they(?) fix it. Is there a way to figure out what CarPlay is sending? Maybe you can send a “wrong” access code that sends the correct tones.

Or use a tone generator through the mic like the Terminator chick.
It has been quite some months since I tried to get this unraveled. The sequence of events went something like this:

1 - Start Volt
2 - Plug in iPhone into Lightning cable and USB port
3 - Select CarPlay from the Infotainment screen
4 - Select previous destination (Work)
5 - Select My Music, select an Album
6 - Begin Route
7 - Uh Oh, 8:28 AM, time to dial in the daily stand up meeting
8 - Press Talk button on steering wheel, Hey Siri " Dial AT&T Teleconference" Siri "Calling AT&T Teleconference."
9 - "Welcome to AT&T Teleconference Service. Please enter your conference Id." (Proof that the iPhone SE does issue the correct DTMF tones to dial up the Teleconference service.)
10 - Conference Id entered automatically from Contacts List
11 - Response "Invalid Conference Id, please re-enter Conference Id"
12 - Bring up keypad on Infotainment screen, enter code a second time.
13 - Response "Invalid Conference Id, please re-enter Conference Id"
14 - End Call. (By this time the conference call has started and I am late to the teleconference meeting.)
15 - Disconnect CarPlay, losing the on-screen navigation. Audio program reconnects via BT audio
16 - Hey Siri, "Dial AT&T Teleconference"
17 - "Calling AT&T Teleconference"
18 - "Welcome to AT&T Teleconference Service. Please enter your conference Id."
19 - Conference Id entered from contacts list as ", 123456" or manually entered from phone (I know, calling while driving only when hands free is the law.)
20 - "You are now being joined to your conference."

As far as pocket DTMF dialer like that Terminator chick, I actually have one (a pocket dialer not a Terminator chick) buried in a box that contains the contents of my junk drawer.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Ok, so, in the contact number for "AT&T Teleconference" did you try entering the entire string as described in my reply above? (Including the final '#'. You didn't say you punched in a '#'. ATT conference needs two pound entries. One for entering the access code and one to tell it you are an attendee, not the host. edit: I just tried it without # signs and it works that way as well.)

I don't have Car Play. I have CUE and OnStar. When I dial a number using OnStar's voice response, it works as I described.

Does your Volt version have an alternate voice response system, or, can you only use Siri? Sounds like Siri is dialing the number correctly, however.

I have multiple conference numbers and I place them in the host's contact as 'assistant' (rather than 'work' or 'main' or whatever). I tell OnStar "Dial Daniel on assistant" and it just does it.

Edit: BTW, I have Siri turned off on my phone. She was very annoying.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Ok, so, in the contact number for "AT&T Teleconference" did you try entering the entire string as described in my reply above? (Including the final '#'. You didn't say you punched in a '#'. ATT conference needs two pound entries. One for entering the access code and one to tell it you are an attendee, not the host. edit: I just tried it without # signs and it works that way as well.)

I don't have Car Play. I have CUE and OnStar. When I dial a number using OnStar's voice response, it works as I described.

Does your Volt version have an alternate voice response system, or, can you only use Siri? Sounds like Siri is dialing the number correctly, however.

I have multiple conference numbers and I place them in the host's contact as 'assistant' (rather than 'work' or 'main' or whatever). I tell OnStar "Dial Daniel on assistant" and it just does it.

Edit: BTW, I have Siri turned off on my phone. She was very annoying.
It has been a while, I am not certain if I entered ## or just #. I know when I used the keypad within CarPlay Phone function I would enter # one time only (I was not the host on these conference calls.) You only get prompted to enter the Host Id if the Host has not yet joined the meeting. I was never able to get past entering the Conference Id, the second # was not requested/expected.

In my experience with my 2017 Volt if you connect the iPhone via BT then pressing the talk button on the steering wheel will initiate a voice prompt from the Volt's infotainment system requesting that you state a command such as "Call AT&T." If I am connected to the Volt via a Lightning cable and CarPlay is active, when I press the talk button on the steering wheel then Siri seems to activate. I can also activate Siri at any time by speaking "Hey Siri" without pressing the talk button.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That’s one thing I don’t like about Siri/Alexa/Google/SmartTV... they are always listening. Security can be inconvenient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts