GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped by my O'Reilly and found only Dex-Cool Compatible fluid, not actual Dex-Cool fluid (at least not w/ a 50-50 de-ionized Water mix) available.

Is this safe to use? I've read some things that caution against it on-line, but just curious if people have had to use it (probably for reasons of availability, like in my case) and whether they were able to manage okay with it?

Was surprised O'Reilly doesn't have it, but here in the San Francisco Bay, auto shop parts have grown increasingly scarce. I think there's a Napa around I can try. Any other place that might have it? It seems Wal-Mart might?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Why risk the 10-year/150,000-mile battery warranty by saving a few bucks on questionable coolant? If nowhere else, there are GM dealers all over the place in the Bay Area with the correct product.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why risk the 10-year/150,000-mile battery warranty by saving a few bucks on questionable coolant? If nowhere else, there are GM dealers all over the place in the Bay Area with the correct product.
My thinking as well, though this one brand had a GM-approved seal on it. I'll hunt down a dealer.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The correct Dex-Cool seems to have a 5 year service life
Who know about the others.
get the real thing with the Deionized water

We need the correct fluid as at least 2 of the cooling tank loops flow over electrical items.

I really wish some one would do resistance testing of our coolent liquid overtime
and tell us which voltage isolation test relates to this area.

we all remember the old day of Anti-Freeze Hydrometer which was just to tells us the when the fluid in the raidator might freeze.
Now we need a Mho meter - or what ever the new unit is called :) Ohm backwards for you young wipper snappers

I have no information on how fast out Volts will get coolant contaminants.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I wouldn't play around with after market in this instance. Be aware that Chevy dealers also have Dex-Cool with out deionized water for their regular vehicles (with a different part number). Don't get sold the wrong stuff. Have your part number handy. The local (non=-Volt) Chevy dealer didn't carry the Volt stuff and they checked at Lordco which also carries Dex-Cool and there was no Volt Dex-Cool in their Canada warehouses.

I have a 2013 that says change at 5 years but somebody said the later cars don't have the 5 year change in their owners manual. Can we get a clarification on this? Did they find that the heating/cooling cycles on the battery/electronics wasn't severe enough to degrade the coolant in that time frame?

·
Registered
610 Posts
They sell the real stuff: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ze/af888/2496967/1977/pontiac/catalina?pos=10

Why not just use it??? ^

You should be able to use any "orange" or "OAT" coolant without issue. There is also some "yellows" which are DexCool/OAT "compatible" - but not the same thing. I understand this is really for people who aren't sure of what they have or don't know what's going on...

Given where we are on these cars and what they were tested with, I would also NOT use anything other than a real-deal OAT coolant. (DexCool is just a brand name for a specific OAT formulation.)

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/antifreeze-education/engine-coolant

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Based on how infrequently one needs to top-off or change the fluid, buying the correct fluid from the DEALER is really an insurance premium. Keep the receipt (and peace of mind)!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
6 years on my bottle and only used 1/3 of it and most of that was to bring the level up to the new standard.

I you get the NEW user manual via the Onstar app and check you will see the 5 year coolent listed.

I did not check if the manual is different for volt year but it seemed to only cove my 2012 volt

----------------
Wonder if I need a fluid flush on my dex-cool bottle.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Based on how infrequently one needs to top-off or change the fluid, buying the correct fluid from the DEALER is really an insurance premium. Keep the receipt (and peace of mind)!
1) The dealer charges 2-3X the price for the exact same material sold in local stores.

2) More often than not, I find the "professionals" at the dealer have no clue as to what my car requires. Particularly on this car! (Thank goodness I can read the Factory Service Manual, which the Dealer's employees don't bother to crack open...)

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
1) The dealer charges 2-3X the price for the exact same material sold in local stores.

2) More often than not, I find the "professionals" at the dealer have no clue as to what my car requires. Particularly on this car! (Thank goodness I can read the Factory Service Manual, which the Dealer's employees don't bother to crack open...)
I agree with you IF the part numbers are identical. I believe that SIMILAR fluid was mentioned and I was addressing that issue.

As to the problem of ignorant parts department employees...I find it very advantageous to do my homework before approaching the Parts Department when ever possible, Sometimes that is not possible, necessitating a repeat visit and part exchange. I once had to return to the Parts Department to get the correct muffler from them. The hangers were not in the correct location for my model year. They apologized for making the mistake.

·
Registered
117 Posts
6 years on my bottle and only used 1/3 of it and most of that was to bring the level up to the new standard.

I you get the NEW user manual via the Onstar app and check you will see the 5 year coolent listed.

I did not check if the manual is different for volt year but it seemed to only cove my 2012 volt

----------------
Wonder if I need a fluid flush on my dex-cool bottle.
Exactly what is the "new standard"?

jbakerjonathan: "As to the problem of ignorant parts department employees...I find it very advantageous to do my homework before approaching the Parts Department when ever possible..."

I totally agree. Whenever I start into a new dealer relationship, the first thing I do is visit the service director. I make it clear to him/her that I'm an enthusiast, I spend time on well respected online car forums, and that I want to deal with the most experienced service adviser on staff. Ditto for the parts counter. The guy up front is frequently the newest, least experienced person, and is frequently overwhelmed with how complex modern cars are. Dealing directly with the top administrators gets everyone's attention.

This has worked well for me. In fact, I've had dealership service directors PHONE ME to ask for information about the cars they're servicing, specifically VW TDIs (with a cult-like following, whose owners know INFINITELY more than the dealer techs, who see them infrequently.)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
specifically VW TDIs (with a cult-like following, whose owners know INFINITELY more than the dealer techs, who see them infrequently.)
I know that one first hand. ;)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I agree with you IF the part numbers are identical. I believe that SIMILAR fluid was mentioned and I was addressing that issue.

As to the problem of ignorant parts department employees...I find it very advantageous to do my homework before approaching the Parts Department when ever possible, Sometimes that is not possible, necessitating a repeat visit and part exchange. I once had to return to the Parts Department to get the correct muffler from them. The hangers were not in the correct location for my model year. They apologized for making the mistake.
Sometimes it's not their fault. I bought a Walker muffler system (from cat back) for my '88 Tercel wagon from auto parts dealer. The hangers where not in the right spot. As Toyota did a muffler change half way through 87-88 year I took it back and ordered the other one. It was even worse being 6" out. Thinking I'd have to bite the bullet I went to Toyota dealer and got the perfectly fitting muffler system complete with heat shields for half the price. Don't sell parts for them any more though. Have to scrounge the internet.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Sometimes it's not their fault. I bought a Walker muffler system (from cat back) for my '88 Tercel wagon from auto parts dealer. The hangers where not in the right spot. As Toyota did a muffler change half way through 87-88 year I took it back and ordered the other one. It was even worse being 6" out. Thinking I'd have to bite the bullet I went to Toyota dealer and got the perfectly fitting muffler system complete with heat shields for half the price. Don't sell parts for them any more though. Have to scrounge the internet.
I bought the muffler from the Toyota dealer's Parts Department, took it home, spray painted it with rust inhibiting paint, removed the old muffler, attempted to install the new muffler, finally realized that it was the wrong one and drove back to the dealer, now without a muffler on the car and described my problem to the parts person who got her hands sticky with paint from the muffler. She got the correct one for me and apologized for her mistake. We are all human and all of us make mistakes.:p:)

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cord:
I've been asking this question since acquiring our 2014 ELR in April. Passenger side coolant level is at the seam, driver's side is full to within 1/2 of the top.

Should I request that the dealership correct this and fill both sides to the top?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Cord:
I've been asking this question since acquiring our 2014 ELR in April. Passenger side coolant level is at the seam, driver's side is full to within 1/2 of the top.

Should I request that the dealership correct this and fill both sides to the top?
Not to put too fine a point on it, you should have your coolant levels as indicated in the photos posted by Steverio: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...id-Levels-FAQ&highlight=Correct+coolant+level

They are self-explanatory.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts