GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I miss something or was the EV news from the Detroit show really dull this year?
Where were the reveals from the BIG THREE?

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
EVs seem to be arriving at a glacial pace. I put in a model 3 reservation in March 2016, then cancelled it in April 2016. Still waiting for that perfect vehicle to be produced. Until then the Gen1 volt suffices.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'll admit to being really disappointed. It's been 3 years since the original Bolt announce. I'm thinking now that GM really has nothing new for 2018 or 2019. I had really wanted to take advantage of the $7500 credit at least one more time. I do have a deposit on the Electra Meccanica Tofino, but that's kind of a long shot, and not sure it could be my daily driver. Maybe I need to rethink Tesla. Bolt's not bad either.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Really enjoying the Bolt, happy to still have the Volt as well. But the Bolt has become our favorite car to drive.

I too was wondering if GM would let us peak at one of the new EV's it's announced it is releasing in the coming 24 months. Maybe later this year.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm quite disappointed with the lack of EV news from GM so far, hoping to hear something before the show ends. Ford showed a lot more interest in electric propulsion with announcements of a lot of electrified vehicles including a performance BEV and a plug-in F150 pickup in 2020.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
GM keeps telling us they have a bunch of EV's in the pipeline, OK that's cool, but why not tell us what is in the pipeline, SUV, CUV, P/U, Corvette?

The silence is deafening. Maybe Ford's announcement that in 2020 the F-150 will have a plug will force GM's hand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
All the news from the Detroit show was really dull this year, unless you are interested in trucks or SUV's. I go to the show every year, but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother this year.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
On to the Geneva Auto Show in March! Now that I think about it, it makes more sense for the Buick Bolt to debut on an international stage, since there is no doubt it will also be sold in China. Or surely at the Shanghai Auto Show in April, as that is actually in China.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
In the US automobile manufacturers have to wait until the end of March 2018 to learn about the proposed CAFE standards for 2022- 2025. It is unknown whether there will be a roll back of the CAFE standards approved under the prior administration and if there will be a single national standard. If there is no single national standard then this may impact auto sales in California, 11 other states. The results of the NHTSA proposals will drive manufacturers investment in electric vehicles, alternate fuel vehicles well into the next decade.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114847_cafe-proposal-coming-march-30-automakers-hope-national-rules-survive

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
All the news from the Detroit show was really dull this year, unless you are interested in trucks or SUV's. I go to the show every year, but I'm not sure I'm even going to bother this year.
Trucks and SUVs is where the market is at, so no surprise.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No worries. We are in the calm before the storm. I think bro has it down - the China show.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
OK, lets play with the new format. xxx How many models are needed to fight for a 3% market share?

GM wants to dominate the AV segment? Without tax credits available, how about selling to customers who can write off the depreciation in 1 year (?) now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Trucks and SUVs is where the market is at, so no surprise.
Oh, I know, it's no surprise. I just don't get excited about them. My Wife has a 2017 Acadia, but it's necessity because of hauling around 3 kids and their stuff, and pulling a trailer for camping trips. I don't enjoy driving it. I'd rather have something small and nimble than huge and lumbering. It's sad to see so few "out there" concept cars this year, and the reveals have been such boring stuff for the most part.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
OK, lets play with the new format. xxx How many models are needed to fight for a 3% market share?

GM wants to dominate the AV segment? Without tax credits available, how about selling to customers who can write off the depreciation in 1 year (?) now.
I LOLed. :D

detroit auto show doesnt open to the public till sat.
Ummmm.... you don't say. A bit early to analyze I guess then. I don't have a pre-show pass.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I LOLed. :D

Ummmm.... you don't say. A bit early to analyze I guess then. I don't have a pre-show pass.
Get your tux and checkbook out...CHARITY PREVIEW - JANUARY 19, 2018
Charity Preview is the largest annual, single-night fundraiser in the world.

Proceeds directly benefit a wide range of children’s charities that are making a positive impact in southeastern Michigan. Since 1976, Charity Preview has raised more than $112 million, with over $41 million raised in the last 10 years alone.

Charity Preview Date and Time
Friday, January 19, 2018
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
(Black-tie)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts

I think it works the other way around. There are about 250 models on the market, so each vehicle on average captures less than half a percentage of market share. If you want a 25% share then you'll need 50 models. Some will be more successful and some less, but on average that's how many you'll need.

On the AV electric cars, your suggestion is the stated plan. Robo taxis charging $2.50/mile for 150 miles a day can absorb considerable costs.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Portland Auto Show (portlandautoshow.com) is a four-day affair this year, starting next week Thursday (Jan 25-28), according to a note I recently saw in the Oregonian. My recollection is that the show was more widely advertised during the past two years, and that it ran longer (Tue-Sun). I seem to recall receiving an e-mail from GM early in January for the last two years letting this 5-year owner of a 2012 Volt know about the show. Can’t remember if it included a complimentary pass. The website says discount tickets will be in the Wednesday Oregonian Jan 17 and 24 and in the Friday Portland Tribune Jan 12 and 19 ($3 off the adult price until 3 pm). Charity preview: Wed, Jan 24, 6:30-9:30.

The website is not really user friendly to discover which manufacturers are going to be showing which models, but there will be test drives outside the exhibit hall on Portland streets from VW, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota, Chevrolet, Subaru, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, Fiat, and Nissan. The list seems to include the Chevy Bolt and the Volt, the Volkswagen e-Golf, the Toyota Prius Prime and the RAV4 Hybrid, the Fiat 500e, the Nissan Leaf and the new Rogue Hybrid. Hyundai will be showcasing eight (unnamed) vehicles with their latest technology, and the Ford people will have several models available (uncertain if any will be electric vehicles), with the added inducement that anyone who takes a test drive receives a voucher to eat at an onsite food truck (with a different food truck for each day of the show "for attendees to enjoy ").

1 - 20 of 33 Posts