GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember reading a post that had a formula to determine the ratio of gas vs. electric miles by using the overall mileage and the lifetime mileage. I've had no luck searching for the post - does anyone remember this item and can point me to it?

When I bought the car the lifetime mileage was low enough that I am reasonably sure it ran on gas a lot. It was a GM factory car, so I bet the guy who drove it just filled up at the company pump rather than charge it at their house. But after 4 years of 90% electric driving I got curious and would like to determine the percentages.

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Odometer miles / Lifetime Gas Used in gallons = Lifetime MPG

So, if your energy usage display’s Lifetime MPG number has not been reset by the GM service department or by an app (or if using the mychevy app gives you a slightly more precise one-decimal point MPG number)...

Odometer miles / Lifetime MPG = Lifetime Gas Used in gallons

Window sticker rating for the Gen 1 Volt = 37 mpg, and for the Gen 2 Volt, 42 mpg
You may have an mpg estimate for your own Volt.

Lifetime Gas Used in gallons x window sticker mpg (or your own estimate) = Estimated Lifetime gas miles for your Volt

Odometer miles - estimated lifetime gas miles = estimated lifetime ev miles

Also note: Math says the lifetime Gas Used = the number of ev miles you need to drive without using any gas to increase the lifetime MPG by 1.000. So if the Lifetime MPG on your Volt just turned to, say, 156.0000 and your lifetime Gas Used = 213.5 gallons, then if you drive 213.5 ev miles without using any gas, the lifetime MPG will increase to 157.0000.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also note: Math says the lifetime Gas Used = the number of ev miles you need to drive without using any gas to increase the lifetime MPG by 1.000. So if the Lifetime MPG on your Volt just turned to, say, 156.0000 and your lifetime Gas Used = 213.5 gallons, then if you drive 213.5 ev miles without using any gas, the lifetime MPG will increase to 157.0000.
No wonder my lifetime MPG increases so slow! Many thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Here’s the math:

X miles / Y gallons used = Z MPG

now drive Y ev miles without using gas :

(X + Y miles) / Y gallons used

= (X miles / Y gallons used) + (Y miles / Y gallons used)

= Z MPG + 1.0000 MPG

= (Z + 1.0000) MPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts