GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 1/8/15: New hoodie only campaign for colder temperatures:http://teespring.com/high_voltage

Update 1/1/15: 5 more orders to go to tip campaign. Updated design here: http://teespring.com/no-gasoline-station

DISCLAIMER:I'm not a t-shirt designer.

Ever since I became a Volt owner, I've been looking for a t-shirt I would wear and never been able to find one. I wanted something that would spark a conversation on why it's so awesome to drive a Volt. I'm an engineer by training and have no idea about graphic design. I spent some time this weekend with online tutorials and tried my hand at making a Volt t-shirt.

Would be great to get your feedback and general thoughts. Any favorites?

Behind the scenes:
I used Pixlr (browser-based Photo Editor) and Inkscape (open source) to trace the picture into the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format required for t-shirt printing. I used free fonts for the text and my imagination for the quotes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very nice.. looks like a lot of fun..

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Why not use the font from the yellow shirt on all of them? I think it looks more futuristic and clean. The other fonts seem like standard fonts that don't portray the coolness that the Volt deserves.

As for phrases, what about "Frack you, OPEC" (paying homage to Battlestar Galactica) or maybe this should be a family-friendly show. Or how about "98.8 MPG - Better than any hybrid" (insert your actual lifetime MPG in for mine). Or you could steal the Chevy quote "Electric when you want it, gas when you need it"

One more suggestion, grow the graphic to cover the person's chest and have the words drape across the upper belly, otherwise if a woman were to wear the shirt the words would be on their....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Nice and I echo LLninja's comments. I like the idea of the first design on the front of a shirt with Frack you OPEC on the back. Thanks for sharing this and putting the time into it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the gold one. Simple and clean. Would you consider sharing the SVG files?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Cool looking shirts. I like the idea volt on the front and what is gas on the back. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'll buy one from you! I'd like the light blue, with the picture and Chevy Volt on the front (just like is pictured on the gold one) and "What's a gas station?" on the back."

Can I send you $25 to include S&H?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the feedback! I made some modifications to the designs based on some of the comments. If there is enough interest, I can look into making a "limited edition" run?

See below:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I want one; I'll send you a private message this afternoon with size, address, etc., and you can give me your address. Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ok, the shirts are now live: http://teespring.com/volt[/B]

Once we reach a minimum order of 10 t-shirts, they will print them and ship it to us. Any takers?
I just tried to click on the website and it has been blocked or taken down or something. It's not working. What's up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Copyright violation?
Yes, they are claiming it is a copyright violation, but I am not sure what they consider to be copyrighted material. I looked up Chevy Volt and it is not trademarked. Chevrolet Volt is trademarked - perhaps that is close enough?

I haven't heard back from them, yet. Will update everyone as soon as I hear back.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
You might have gotten by it if designing and purchasing it for yourself. Now it's become something else as you brought in other people and made it a public offering. You will need permission from GM to proceed with this legally.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It looks like you are making Chevy merchandise. Not that you are. The lawyers say your are - then you are. Chevy pays lots of $ to protect its name, logo and trade secrets. Anyone using anything that a lawyer says is GM's (Chevrolet's) is not worth getting permission to do. Essentially, Chevy doe snot care that there are no Volt t-shirts and if anyone is going to make them with anything using or similar to the car, it's logo or its emblem, then GM will want to authorize it. And get some $ for that too.

With the t shirt folks, ask them if any of these work:

Change the fonts to not be similar to Chevy's
Use: "Chevrolet Volt Owner's Forum". in the fonts you now have. Not sure if that is copyrighted.
Ask them what would be acceptable.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts