GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Design/Policy Hopes for the Volt

Just thought I would voice my design/policy hopes for the Volt (in order of importance).

1) A really respectable warranty, something like 10 year/100,000 mile.

It would be nice to see GM really stand behind their product. It might be a deal breaker if it was it came out with a 36,000/3 year warranty. If I had to pay +$10,000 for a new battery after 3 year because the car was rushed out and not ready/reliable I would be pissed, everyone would hear about it and I would never buy GM again. The initial buyers are taking a huge leap of faith spending $35000-$40000 on new technology; they should be rewarded with a commitment to quality from GM.

2) An easily upgradable Battery.

I know many people say you won’t want the car in 5 years but if it works well, looks good, and I have it paid off, I think I will drive it for a long time. I would like to have the option, say, 7-10 years down the road, to replace the old battery with a brand new one that goes 150 miles and only cost $4000. I really hope the battery is easily swapped out. It would suck to buy the car and then have someone have a breakthrough and not be able to take advantage of it. Also, would dramatically increase resale value.

3) Something similar to Ford Focus sync, a USB port, auxiliary port, Bluetooth phone connectivity.

I have a Focus with sync and all of the above and it is awesome. It is incredibly functional. I plug my ipod right into a usb port and the car knows all the songs that are on it. Then I just say what I want it to play and it works 95% of the time…good enough for me. Bluetooth is really nice for the phone and the auxiliary port is nice and simple. At the very least I need an aux port. I do not need a CD player at all.
USB port is nice, because I can upgrade the software myself, also would be nice for the Volt so you could download driving statistics.

4) Advanced GPS system which can tell you the fastest way to get somewhere, take you around traffic, as well as tell you the way to go to get the best possible fuel economy.

I have TomTom and GPS is so functional I don’t know how I got around without it.

Also, the screen could let you know facts about your state of charge, MPG, remaining distance till generator kicks in etc.

5) Lockable plug receiver

I and many others might be living in an apartment/park on the street. It would be very nice if I could plug in a long cord then shut some sturdy,watertight, latch around the cord and it could be locked with the car key. Then punk kids couldn’t unplug it. People walking couldn’t accidentally unplug it, etc. Also people stealing long extension cords would be concern. A lock would also ensure people couldn’t mess with your ability to plug your car in (think sugar in your gas tank).

A simple but important safety feature: I don’t think the car should be able to start if it is plugged in…my mom has ripped two gas station hoses off…it will not be uncommon for people to drive off and proceed to rip the plug apart, mess up the car, decapitate the dog and so forth.

6) The ability to hit a button to drive with the generator while not at 30% charge.

I’d like to be in control of when the engine runs so I can drain my tank without waiting for the battery to run down. I heard Lutz say you would have to go to the dealer to get gas drained every 3 months…no thanks. Also, if I was driving through the mountains it might be necessary so I don’t have to drive slowly.

I’m sure this would pose problems if you generator was being run to empty often, but couldn’t a sensor cut it off a few ounces before it ran dry? Then you could fill it with fresh gas.

7) Somewhere where I can plug in a standard US male plug.
It would be really great if I could plug in a laptop or not have to buy a separate car and home charger for my phone. It doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to do. Could be cool for camping…

8) Some way to charge the car with odd voltages and currents from solar cells.

With the way Nanosolar is going it is feasible one could buy a car cover that could be taken out of the trunk unrolled and laid over the car during work for less then $/watt. I think being capable of taking a charge from any source will become a bigger deal in the future.

I pulled in some of these from other threads, just my thoughts/hope, feel free to add to the list or let me know if you already know any information about what GM thinks of these.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I was able to run in 100% electric mode every day, I would still keep 2 or 3 gallons of gas in the tank, just in case I needed it. If none of the gas was used after 3 or 4 months, I would not plug in the Volt at night for a few days and run in the hybrid mode, to use up the gas, and then replace it with 2 or three more gallons of "fresh" gas. So, you may need to burn about 10 gallons per year. I think Lutz was kidding about having the tank drained.

I will be waiting for the Volt 20M and still, only need 60 gallons of gas per year.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Fuel extender for range extender

Not sure if the line about having the tank drained was a joke or not, but I know that I would add gasoline life-extending chemicals. That stuff works like a charm when you have gasoline sitting in a tank for months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
number 2 for sure, I would love to be able to do that in the future.

Number 6 is what I think is a great idea as well, say for example that you can't find an outlet anywhere around. You could let the genset run for an hour or so when you are at the office or worse case stranded.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You would also need the generator running durring inspections. Either don't plug it in the night before or push the "override" button.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts