GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'll be (quite sadly) returning my leased 2013 Volt next week after 36K glorious miles. Looking for some advice on what I should cancel/delete. Here's my current list, but I'm not sure on many of the items

1. Deprogram HomeLink so the car will no longer open my garage doors. How do I do this?
2. Disconnect/delete bluetooth devices. Does the car actually store any contact info?
3. Delete any stored locations including my home address from the Navigation system
4. Cancel XM account - Done
5. Cancel OnStar service. Done, but I also want to delete my OnStar and myvolt.com accounts. Any pointers on that?
6. Volstats. What should I do there? I want to make sure any new owner can access Voltstats with my VIN in the future.

Any other pointers on programmable items or other return tasks? It's in excellent shape, so I plan to wash and wax it, polish the chrome wheels, make sure I don't forget to put the EVSE in, and include both key fobs. There should be plenty of tread left as I've driven pretty gently, rotated on time and kept tires at 43 PSI or so. Lifetime MPG is at 157, despite at least 4K of road trips all on gas.

Definitely hate to see the Volt go, it's been the best car I've had yet as a daily driver.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
When trading in a car, I usually get a light detail on it. It can make a couple hundred $ difference. I also try to return them with a 1/4 tank or less of gasoline. I bought it, it's MINE!!

Most infotainment systems have a 'reset to factory defaults' setting. That should wipe your personal info.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I RTFM to find out how to de-program Homelink garage door openers. It was simple, but I don't remember the sequence.

I deleted each entry individually in the NAV.

I don't remember what I did with Bluetooth.

I didn't bother with Voltstats and found that it forgot the car.

Myvolt.com showed both the old and new Volts, but I couldn't access the old car.

A while after I turned in the car (a 2012), I googled the VIN and found the car being offered for sale by a Used Car dealer in Ohio, listing the car for what I was willing to pay Ally (which was ~$10k less than the residual in the contract!). It traveled some distance from the eastern end of Long Island to Ohio. Someone got a good used car with that purchase.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi, I'll be (quite sadly) returning my leased 2013 Volt next week after 36K glorious miles. Looking for some advice on what I should cancel/delete. Here's my current list, but I'm not sure on many of the items

1. Deprogram HomeLink so the car will no longer open my garage doors. How do I do this?
2. Disconnect/delete bluetooth devices. Does the car actually store any contact info?
3. Delete any stored locations including my home address from the Navigation system
5. Cancel OnStar service. Done, but I also want to delete my OnStar and myvolt.com accounts. Any pointers on that?
6. Volstats. What should I do there? I want to make sure any new owner can access Voltstats with my VIN in the future.

Any other pointers on programmable items or other return tasks? It's in excellent shape, so I plan to wash and wax it, polish the chrome wheels, make sure I don't forget to put the EVSE in, and include both key fobs. There should be plenty of tread left as I've driven pretty gently, rotated on time and kept tires at 43 PSI or so. Lifetime MPG is at 157, despite at least 4K of road trips all on gas.

Definitely hate to see the Volt go, it's been the best car I've had yet as a daily driver.
Deprogramming Homelink is detailed in the user manual. p. 5-65 for my 2012.
Deleting a paired phone via bluetooth is listed on p. 7-22 in my 2012 manual.
Clearing the Navigation is in the Navigation System manual.

You can also hit the onstar button inside the car and they will walk you through it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When trading in a car, I usually get a light detail on it. It can make a couple hundred $ difference. I also try to return them with a 1/4 tank or less of gasoline. I bought it, it's MINE!!
While you're at it, make sure you return it with 0 miles of battery range - because you paid for that, too!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While you're at it, make sure you return it with 0 miles of battery range - because you paid for that, too!
Thanks for all of the great advice. Good points on gas and battery! I have 100 miles left on the lease, already out of battery and an indicated 140 miles range on gas. oh, and no weed in the car :)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Make sure to clear Bluetooth, the lease return I bought still had personal contact info in there. I had to clear it through the voice menu, but don't recall how.

Also, if you named your Volt something unique in the onstar app, be sure to change it. Mine was someone's user name on these boards so it was easy to identify the former owner. It doesn't matter too much since it is probably public record, but might be good to clear it out.

Eric

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It'd cheaper to leave some battery and no gas...

Alas after doing all the cleanup with the wash and polishing the chrome, you're going to feel like keeping it. So is a replacement volt next or are you going to something else?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

If applicable, delete all tracks from the HDD storage. I still feel sad that my beloved Volt used to have to play all that white-boy hiphop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It'd cheaper to leave some battery and no gas...

Alas after doing all the cleanup with the wash and polishing the chrome, you're going to feel like keeping it. So is a replacement volt next or are you going to something else?
After two Priuses and now the Volt, I'm going back old school with an ICE vehicle, a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Along with the Volt as my daily driver, I've had a 2014 Ford F150 Raptor (talk about yin and yang, right?). It was great to have the best of both worlds.. silent and efficient daily driver with the Volt, and total raucous fun with the Raptor on the weekends. Sadly, I've had to trade the Raptor for the Explorer due to a divorce and I'm consolidating down for a bit. Kinda hedging on cheap gas for the next few years, although the environmentalist side of my personality is sad. To add insult to injury compared to the Volt, the Explorer's gas tank is miniscule so I'll be filling up all the time. Ahhhhhhh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If applicable, delete all tracks from the HDD storage. I still feel sad that my beloved Volt used to have to play all that white-boy hiphop.
Good point! I don't have the HDD in my 2013, but I do keep a flash drive in the USB with all of my music. Need to remember to pull it out.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
After two Priuses and now the Volt, I'm going back old school with an ICE vehicle, a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Along with the Volt as my daily driver, I've had a 2014 Ford F150 Raptor (talk about yin and yang, right?). It was great to have the best of both worlds.. silent and efficient daily driver with the Volt, and total raucous fun with the Raptor on the weekends
That's OK. My other vehicle is a 3/4 ton volt with a 7.4L beast of an engine. It gulps fuel by the gallons. When gas was close to $4 per gallon, I literally had to go through 2-3 different credit cards to fill the tank as they had limits at the pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts