GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt. I have always used the Departure Mode when charging at home. Suddenly, it has stopped working. I have the settings in the car and on the app set to Departure Mode with a departure time of 7AM. However, whenever I plug in, it starts charging immediately. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Are you charging at 120 or 240 V and at what amperage? How low is your battery charge level? What is the estimated completion time?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I note this material in the manual regarding Location Based Charging:

"Expiration
The charge level preference at the home location is stored for up to 90 days. After 90 days, a notification will display on the screen and the charge level preference will need to be reset for the next 90 days."

Perhaps you need to refresh your Home location setting.

·
Registered
780 Posts
TCol:
-Are you charging at 120V 12A, 120V 8A, or 240V?
-What does your "charging" info screen say just before you plug in? What does that charging start and stop time read? And how charged is the battery at that point?

There are several things that could cause this behavior - this info will help narrow it down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am charging at 120V and 12A. I set the departure time for 0700. The charging screen displays this info before I start. It starts charging immediately regardless of the state of charge. I know that it is charging immediately because it sends me the charge completion message at odd times. Previously it was consistently sent at 0700, or later, if it could not complete by that time.

TCol:
-Are you charging at 120V 12A, 120V 8A, or 240V?
-What does your "charging" info screen say just before you plug in? What does that charging start and stop time read? And how charged is the battery at that point?

There are several things that could cause this behavior - this info will help narrow it down.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am charging at 120V and 12A. I set the departure time for 0700. The charging screen displays this info before I start. It starts charging immediately regardless of the state of charge. I know that it is charging immediately because it sends me the charge completion message at odd times. Previously it was consistently sent at 0700, or later, if it could not complete by that time.
Sounds like you are suffering from a bug that I and others have reported, and which GM has still not fixed. There are several threads on the topic, such as this one: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?281393-Innaccurate-Charge-Time-Estimate

Basically, the car gradually begins to overestimate the amount of time that it will take to charge the car at 120 V/ 12A. As far as I can tell, it only happens for 120 V/ 12 A charging, and only when you use "departure time" mode or "rate" mode. In fact, the problem is worse for "rate" mode because, in my experience, the overestimates suddenly become crazy high - for instance, the car thinks it will finish charging 24 hr after you plug it in. That doesn't happen in "departure time" mode, as far as I can tell. The overestimates are much milder and don't suddenly jump to high values.

The temporary solution is to disconnect and reconnect the 12 V battery. This will reset the charge time estimate. But it will eventually begin to drift again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried this but it ultimately made no difference. I took a short trip one morning and only used about 15 miles. I reset the Home Location before I plugged in. I thought it might work because the Info Center display showed the right numbers - charging completed at 0700. Shortly afterward, I checked the status on the app and it showed that charging had not started immediately. However, at some point during the day it started charging and finished well before 0700. On subsequent charges, it started charging immediately again.

I note this material in the manual regarding Location Based Charging:

"Expiration
The charge level preference at the home location is stored for up to 90 days. After 90 days, a notification will display on the screen and the charge level preference will need to be reset for the next 90 days."

Perhaps you need to refresh your Home location setting.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When the 90 days is up, the car gives you a notification on the info screen as you arrive at the Home location. If you didn't see that, expiration of Home location is unlikely to be the culprit. IN ADDITION, and more importantly, if the Home location expired, the charging info screen should read "8 amps" at the top. Does it? If the car still knows you are at Home, it will read 12 amps.

As I wrote above, you are most likely a victim of the same charge time overestimation bug that I and others have reported. How do I know? Because the behavior you describe is exactly the same as what I encounter. Let's say the actual charge time should be 6 hours (i.e., roughly half a charge). You plug the car in, and it tells you it will be done charging by 7:00. It should start charging at 1:00. But it doesn't. It starts charging well before 1:00, and therefore finishes early.

So you should take note not only of the estimated charge completion time reported on the charging info screen, but ALSO the charging start time. Then you can do some math to calculate if it makes sense. Most likely you will find that the car happily reports that it's going to start far earlier than it needs to in order to finish at the estimated completion time. That's the bug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for an update, my Departure Mode is working correctly again. I didn't do anything. I just expected to mention it on my next service visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can not set my charging mode - SEE photo

Just bought a 2017 Volt Premier used.
I am a newbie and have never set my charging mode until I tried yesterday.

The first time I went to this screen, I saw the options highlighted. But my battery was at 0 so I could not set a delayed charge option.
After charging, I went to the charge mode screen and the options are no longer highlighted and can not be chosen.

SEE PHOTO of Screen

I have tried with the car on and off. I have let it sit for some time and retried. Always the same.:confused:
How do I "RESET" these options?
Thanks for your help!!!!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts