GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've had my Volt (2013 base) for about a month now. I was wondering if you guys use delayed or immediate charging on yours?

I've had mine on delayed, but find more and more that keeping it on immediate would be better especially if I have/want to drive it later in the day. I've also found that it doesn't work all the time, ie I drove it yesterday and put 3 miles on it after a 100% charge, then this morning it still had those miles represented after I had it plugged in all night.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hello! I've had my Volt (2013 base) for about a month now. I was wondering if you guys use delayed or immediate charging on yours?

I've had mine on delayed, but find more and more that keeping it on immediate would be better especially if I have/want to drive it later in the day. I've also found that it doesn't work all the time, ie I drove it yesterday and put 3 miles on it after a 100% charge, then this morning it still had those miles represented after I had it plugged in all night.
Delayed charging is for folks that can take advantage of lower utility rates. If you do not have variable rates, or don't care and want a full charge then go with immediate. I go with immediate charging since rates in my area are not variable.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've used delayed charging (120v) for nearly 5 years and never had it not charge the Volt. M-F are one setting, and Sat-Sun are another for my "off peak" electric rates. We do plug-in every time we park in the garage even though I know it won't charge due to the delay settings - easier to tell the wife to always plug-in rather than trying to explain "on peak", "off peak", day of the week, etc. It's been so long now that I don't recall how I set it up, but maybe you have some conflicting settings based on the day of the week or something like that. Might be good to go through the logic of the settings looking for conflicts etc.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been using delayed through the winter so the battery is warm in the morning. It avoids burning charge for battery heating that could be used for covering distance, and I have consistent regen right from the start.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Same as @2VoltFamily. I don't have TOU rate plan, so, charge immediately every time.

An advantage of delayed charging (selecting departure time) is that the battery has finished conditioning just before you take off. IOW, it has had it's temperature optimized.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Delayed charging is strictly to take advantage of low utility rates. If you have such rates, I suggest keeping delayed charging enabled.

HOWEVER..... You always have the option to manually override the delay charging by plugging, unplugging, then plugging in again (or using the ONStar app). Do this on any day that you think you will want to drive again before the delayed charging is complete.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Delayed charging is strictly to take advantage of low utility rates. If you have such rates, I suggest keeping delayed charging enabled.

HOWEVER..... You always have the option to manually override the delay charging by plugging, unplugging, then plugging in again (or using the ONStar app). Do this on any day that you think you will want to drive again before the delayed charging is complete.
I am on a TOU rate in PGE territory so I charge on L2 at night. Our rates are high in the summer - about $0.14/kWh from 9PM-10AM, $0.22/kWh from 10AM-1PM, $0.33/kWh from 1PM-7PM and $0.22/kWh from 7AM-9PM. I have solar PV so excess energy produced during any of those time periods is credited to my account at the rates indicated. So last year I generated a credit surplus, but not an electricity surplus. During the summer we are often away from our home so that works in our favor as the PV generates electricity.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You can also do a temporary override from the charging screen. I tried it for awhile so the battery would be warmer, but Hal lives in an insulated garage and I didn't notice any range improvement. No TOU rates here.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I sometimes use immediate as there isn't enough time for a full charge if I don't get home until 7:00pm
I have my charger set for the full charge to be ready at 4:00am, and I leave for work at 5:00am.
If you use 12 amps along with immediate charge depending on your departure time, you should have at least 3/4 full charge when you leave, or get a L2 charger and you will have a full charge in around 4 hours

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It's an extra cool feature that has saved us big bucks.

We had signed up for a Time Of Use for Electric Vehicle plan. Next we programmed the Volt and everything that was programmable (dishwasher, washer, swimming pool pump, etc) to use that window also.

We now pay far less a month for electricity even though we charge our Volts. So our fuel costs are negative.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I must park my Volt at a charger a few blocks away, start the charger immediately, hike across the drifted snow to my home, then hike back to the parking lot a couple hours later to move my vehicle to an overnight parking area a half-mile from the charging station. Ideally for the environment, most Volt charging occurs during nighttime off-peak electrical generation from the power utility. Eventually, EV battery packs will be used to provide peak-time power as needed by the intelligent grid, drawing off the grid when there is surplus power available from the base-line generators.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I must park my Volt at a charger a few blocks away, start the charger immediately, hike across the drifted snow to my home, then hike back to the parking lot a couple hours later to move my vehicle to an overnight parking area a half-mile from the charging station. Ideally for the environment, most Volt charging occurs during nighttime off-peak electrical generation from the power utility. Eventually, EV battery packs will be used to provide peak-time power as needed by the intelligent grid, drawing off the grid when there is surplus power available from the base-line generators.
Interesting, but not so sure how well that will work. How will the intelligent grid know when to draw from the car and not leave the owner with reduced range when he goes to use it? In what manner does the EV owner get compensated for the extra cycle life used up on his car's battery? Currently I think most EVs charge overnight when there is likely excess capacity and are in use during the day when electric demand is likely higher. A car plugged in at work is charging for the trip home, not necessarily standing by to provide utility peaking.

None of this really has much to do with the OP topic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts