GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the forum but haven't found this issue yet..

I charge (L1) at work, they let me plug into the building. Just over the last few weeks I've noticed that the car will stop charging then start again in an hour or two. It says delayed charging when i check online (https://www.screencast.com/t/n4yEHM8eE). I can even tell it to charge now from the my.chevrolet.com site and it will start charging again, only to go into delayed mode afer a little while.

It's hot out here in Utah right now, and it gets no shade during the day. I'm wondering if it could possibly go into delayed charging due to heat? Though, that doesn't make sense as it can activly cool the battery while plugged in. I've been plugging into the building charging this way since last Fall without problem, this is my first Summer with the Volt (man, i love this car!).

Anyone have any thoughts on why this could be happening?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
How old is the Volt? What about the age of the 12V AGM battery? A weak 12V can cause all sorts of wonkiness.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If it was charging normally under identical conditions during cooler weather, then it seems likely it is a temperature issue. Maybe the car is pausing the charge while it runs the battery cooling operation. 120V may not always be enough to do both at the same time. This is just a guess.

Another thing I noticed from your screen shot is that it says you are plugged in to zero voltage. Not sure if that is normal, but is it possible the power is being restricted at the outlet for some reason such as power company load balancing? I have a system like that connected to my air conditioner.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
If it was charging normally under identical conditions during cooler weather, then it seems likely it is a temperature issue. Maybe the car is pausing the charge while it runs the battery cooling operation. 120V may not always be enough to do both at the same time. This is just a guess.

Another thing I noticed from your screen shot is that it says you are plugged in to zero voltage. Not sure if that is normal, but is it possible the power is being restricted at the outlet for some reason such as power company load balancing? I have a system like that connected to my air conditioner.
If the Volt's battery management system detects that the battery temperature needs to be lowered while charging, the Volt would first turn on the radiator fan, then run the AC system for a short period to cool the battery pack. Power for the AC would come from the high voltage battery, be put back into the battery by extending the charging time. If there was a problem with the battery coolant system or the AC the Volt would throw multiple error codes.

Erroneous sensor data such as the Volt being plugged in at 0V is another symptom of a weak 12V battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for chiming in, guys!

It's a 2017 Volt, I bought used last October. I think the 0 voltage notes it's charging voltage, when I hit charge now and refresh, it shows 120V. It's also worth noting that I do have notifications turned on for disruptions in charging, I get it if I pull power from it myself, but I'm not getting those notifications in this scenario.

It's weird. I will check the 12V battery, though.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, guys!

It's a 2017 Volt, I bought used last October. I think the 0 voltage notes it's charging voltage, when I hit charge now and refresh, it shows 120V. It's also worth noting that I do have notifications turned on for disruptions in charging, I get it if I pull power from it myself, but I'm not getting those notifications in this scenario.

It's weird. I will check the 12V battery, though.
Your Volt and 12V battery are no older than my Volt. Still, check that the battery terminal connections are tight. ~zon sells inexpensive USB charging adapters that will display DC voltage. These will plug into the Volt's accessory power ports located in the cubby area in the center of the dash, also in the console between the rear seats. You can observe the 12V battery voltage under load (for up to 10 minutes after you power off the Volt) if you wait until the Volt is powered off, before you open the driver's door. You can also get a 12V battery voltage reading if you start the Volt in diagnostic mode (just be aware that in diagnostic mode the Volt's Auxilliary Power Module (APM) is not charging the 12V system.) The Volt's 12V AGM battery should read ~ 12.6 Volt or higher when you turn off the vehicle, the voltage will drop after a minute or so but should hold at 12.3V in my experience. If the voltage drops below 12.0V then the 12V battery is suspect and may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you in SLC area? I've got a '17 Volt and would be happy to meet and compare settings, if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Don't the Gen2s have a heat sensor in the plug that goes in the wall? Is it possible that is being triggered until it cools down again? Try to add some artificial shade to the outlet/plug area.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Don't the Gen2s have a heat sensor in the plug that goes in the wall? Is it possible that is being triggered until it cools down again? Try to add some artificial shade to the outlet/plug area.
If the EVSE power plug thermal sensor trips wouldn't the EVSE Fault LED light up in red? Have you tried to charge using the OE EVSE at home or another location to see if maybe the receptacle you have been using for a while is now faulty, loose and overheating?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, thanks everyone for replying!

@UtahK, thanks for the screenshot, my fellow Utahn! I think i'm fine with the settings, however. I live in Draper, work in Orem. I'm only having this issue at work. Today is a little cooler today so I'm monitoring to see if i have the issue or not. That could help more than anything.

Interesting info about the EVSE thermal sensor, i'll go out and check the lights when it goes into delayed charging mode again. I'm only getting this at work, I think I'll try and find another outlet to plug into and see if it's possibly votage fluctuation on that outlet, too. Though, like I mentioned before, I've charged fine from this same outlet in the past. I'm strongly leaning towards it being a thermal problem either in the car, the EVSE or possibly voltage being pulled when the battery cooling kicks on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the main EVSE plulgged in near a wall that gets shade. However the plug that connects to the car is in strong sunlight, I wonder if there is a thermal sensor on that, it does get super hot. Maybe I'll try and cover that part.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I have the main EVSE plulgged in near a wall that gets shade. However the plug that connects to the car is in strong sunlight, I wonder if there is a thermal sensor on that, it does get super hot. Maybe I'll try and cover that part.
No thermal sensor in J1772 connector but there might be a crack in the charging port or a loose connection in the charger port wiring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were in mid 70s yesterday and today; no issues.

Looking at where I put the EVSE, it does get sunlight in the mornings and I'd see it go into delayed charging mode by 11 or so. I do think it's a thermal issue and it makes sense. The last few weeks were 90+ degree days here. I'll confirm in the next day or two and update the first comment for posterity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts