GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often visit my son's house. He has an electric vehicle with a home charger. I would like to be able to use his charger over night when I visit. He has the same electric plan that I do that has cheapest rates between 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM (California). However, I can't find any way to delay my charging when visiting him and I don't want to stay up until 1:00 PM to plug in. Is there any way I can tell my car, one time only, to use the delayed charge when I am at his house? I only see instant charge available on my 2016 Volt, everything else is grayed out.

Dale

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
(I only have a Gen 1, so Idk exactly if/how the Gen 2 settings work differently. That said...)

If you have the same electric plan at your home as your son's, why don't you have it set up to charge during off-peak hours already? Then you wouldn't have to do any temporary overrides.

After reviewing the Gen 2 manual (https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf) , I don't see any mention of being able to do a temporary delayed charge when the car is normally set to charge immediately -- only vice-versa. But it is quite easy to change the charge mode setting in a non-temporary manner. The only difference is that you'd have to remember to change it back to your original setting before your next change. No big deal IMO tho.

There also may be some way to use the GPS feature to set a specific charge mode at your son's house, but I think you'd have to designate his home as your home to get it to work, and it would expire after 90 days.

You can read the relevant pages in the manual (118-127) here: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course I do have it set to off peak at home. There is an override to instant charge but when away there is only instant charge so far as I can tell. I guess I will have to try changing home at this house and changing home again when I go home. Seems like a pain for a feature that should already have a way to do it. Thanks for the response.

Dale

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I often visit my son's house. He has an electric vehicle with a home charger. I would like to be able to use his charger over night when I visit. He has the same electric plan that I do that has cheapest rates between 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM (California). However, I can't find any way to delay my charging when visiting him and I don't want to stay up until 1:00 PM to plug in. Is there any way I can tell my car, one time only, to use the delayed charge when I am at his house? I only see instant charge available on my 2016 Volt, everything else is grayed out.

Dale
Dale, the setup you envision at your son's place is not obvious to those of us who haven't seen it in your mind. Would you prefer to plug in both both cars early -- two separate EVSEs? Is his "home charger"/EVSE an L2 and you'd use the L1 that came with your car? Why could you not plug in your L1 at 11:00 to a standard 120v outlet and charge simultaneously with him? Does he have a 240v dryer outlet separate from his normal charging circuit on which you could use your Gen2 OEM EVSE with the appropriate pigtail to charge at L2?

Did you mean to say that you don't want to stay up until 1:00 AM? If you want to start at 1:00 AM, are you saying your son only needs to charge for 2 hrs? If so, and he can set his time for charging, could you set yours to charge immediately and have him go second?

Edit: Just re-read OP for the nth time and realize one other possible typo would be that you meant you don't want to stay up until 11:00 PM (not 1:00 PM). If that is the case, and your son wouldn't plug in at all, are you saying everyone in the house capable of plugging the car in will be in bed before 11:00? That would indeed explain your concentration on a timer solution.

What L1 charge levels are available away from home on the Gen2? If you can limit current to no more than 12 amps, you could pick up a simple $16 plug-in timer to use with your own L1 EVSE.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Is it really that much money saved for occasional use? Seems like a lot of trouble to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Just use the onstar app and set to (departure) and have that set to 7 am

with 240 Volt charging that should start after 11 PM

Guessing you use the other 2 settings at home ie immediate or departure /rate

----------
Not sure if the Belkin wemo smart phone app/switch can take 12 amps if you need a 120 volt timer device ?
they work well with if/then /else time rules.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Of course I do have it set to off peak at home. There is an override to instant charge but when away there is only instant charge so far as I can tell.
If you set your default charge settings to charge during off-peak hours, then you shouldn't need to do any temporary settings when at your son's house.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you set your default charge settings to charge during off-peak hours, then you shouldn't need to do any temporary settings when at your son's house.
2016 and 2017 GPS-derived settings may be over-riding what he wants to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts