GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My charge controller is capable of 12A, but the Volt goes back to the default of 8A each time the vehicle is started. It's a nuisance to change the charge rate every time I plug in. Is there any way to change this default to 12A. Maybe this has been covered, but can't find it in the forum.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Yes, depending on the year car you have. Given you can't seem to find it in your owners manual, my guess is your year doesn't have that feature.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My charge controller is capable of 12A, but the Volt goes back to the default of 8A each time the vehicle is started. It's a nuisance to change the charge rate every time I plug in. Is there any way to change this default to 12A. Maybe this has been covered, but can't find it in the forum.
If it is a Gen 2 it is 'Location Based Charging'. And it must be reset every few weeks/months.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Convert it to 240v. Or, buy a 240v EVSE and leave the OEM under the hatch.

Once you go 240v, ya don't go back. Yep, it's that good!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Convert it to 240v. Or, buy a 240v EVSE and leave the OEM under the hatch.

Once you go 240v, ya don't go back. Yep, it's that good!
+1, if you have an EV I'd make the small investment and get a dedicated 240V/30amp line run and buy a Level II EVSE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. But in the meantime - When all else fails, read the manual. Yes, I found Location Based Charging and set it to switch to 12A when I arrived home. Just came home from lunch and watched it change from 8A to 12A.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Agreed with the 240 option. 120 is fine for my daily minimum needs, but having 240 definitely saves a lot of time and always gives me plenty of range if I need to go beyond my daily routine. Being able to charge at least 3 times faster makes it practical enough that I never have to use gas if I'm in town. With L1 charging I had to plan my daily routine if it involved more than just a work commute or risk running gas for the last few miles.

In answer to your specific question, if you have a 2016 or newer Gen 2, there is an option to default to 12A charging for a single location. Most set it for home use and is based on the cars GPS system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts