GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there was a period where I was super Gung-Ho about getting a Volt. I was already thinking of budgeting for the charger installation, possibly getting solar panels, the whole 9 yards. Perhaps you could say I partially succumbed to peer pressure from friends and family joking about me wanting to get the "tree-hugger" car.

I still have a great deal of respect and admiration for the engineering and effort that went into creating the Volt, and believe that in about a decade, plug-in hybrids and EREVs will be a mainstream automotive powertrain, but I guess you could say I'm making up for lost time, and an unfulfilled wish.

A little background is in order, I suppose. My car-buying history has been a bit of a roller-coaster. My first car was a '93 Nissan Sentra XE. With the econo-leader 1.6 liter engine, not the hot-rod SE-R. But it was a fun, very economical (37-43 hwy MPG), exceptionally reliable car. It got me through my junior and senior year of high school, college, graduate school, and a year into my career. Now that I was "big time" I wanted a nicer, fanicer car. I got a VW GTI VR6. I loved that car, for a while. Then the notorious VW quality woes hit. I finally decided to give it up for a more economical and reliable mode of transport. Hence my current '03 Mazda Protege5. But I miss the power and performance from the VW.

Not that the Volt is slow (it's not, I've driven one.) But neither is it what people would call a "high performance" vehicle in the traditional sense. So I think I'm going to bite the bullet on a car I've been considering and secretly admiring from afar for many years...the Subaru WRX. I know the car is the total antithesis of the Volt in may respects. It's an import, not at all green (actually gets pretty atrocious fuel economy for a compact) and is in no way understated or subdued, especially with the latest 2011 update.

At 35 years old, I know a lot of people think I should have "out-grown" such juvenile pleasures, but I haven't. I still loves me a hot hatch, and I think I'm going to indulge myself this one last time. By the time the loan is paid off on it, and I'm in the market again (likely 2017 or so) I'm hoping the automotive marketplace will be filled with multiple BEV, EREV, PHEV and other green choices, some of them high-performance (I'm a strong believer that green and high-performance don't have to be mutually exclusive). Perhaps I'll be able to afford a Model S by then, or even a mythical Volt SS. :)

I know some of you may lose respect for me, or call me a planet-killer or whatever. The way I see it, it's still a free country, and we still have freedom of choice in terms of what we drive. I'm choosing to have a little fun in what I can drive while I still can, with the hope that more fun, green, affordable choices will be available in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No need to apologize for wanting a different car. But since you posted I have to wonder how you made a total about face from an efficient car to one that gets the gas mileage of a midsize SUV or worse actually when you consider it uses premium fuel?

Have you considered a more efficient and what most car manufacturers consider a better car in a Volkswagen GTI, or even the Golf TDI, which handles well, is reasonable fast, and gets over 40mpg highway. That car is actually a credible challenger to the Volt in terms of efficiency and is a much better performance car I think most people would agree. Up-to-date clean diesel technology, no batteries, no additional electric motors and complication of the hybrid platforms.

I think the Volt is a groundbreaking design but I will be honest. I'm not brave enough to be a round 1 buyer. Perhaps in a year or two though...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Entroopy, thanks for the comment. Well, you would think the GTI would be on my shopping list. As noted in my post, I had some pretty significant quality and reliability issues with my Mk4 GTI. From what I've gathered reading some other message boards, and IQS ratings, quality has not increased appreciably since then. I probably should clarify between materials quality, which is generally quite good on VWs, and durability/reliability, which is generally poor on VWs. No question the interior materials in VWs, and first-glance fit & finish are good, but I've found VWs to be fragile and fickle longer-term. So...no VWs for me.

Honestly, the only other vehicle potentially on my shopping list is a Mazdaspeed 3, which gets about the same FE as the WRX. It's a shame the Japanese hot hatches don't get better fuel economy. A possible third contender is a 2013 Ford Focus ST. Supposedly the 2.0 EcoBoost is very fuel-efficient, possibly yielding over 30 mpg highway in the Focus. If I postpone (or procrastinate) my purchase long enough, it may be an option, but it's probably not going to be in showrooms until February 2012, and I'm looking at buying within the next 3-6 months. So...we'll see.

Other than the fuel economy being less-than-stellar (although anecdotally, I've heard of real-world averages between 22-24 mpg, which is ironically enough, about what I average in my Protege) I've generally heard only good things about Subaru reliability and durability. Sure, the boy-racers that crank the boost way up complain about their engines and transmissions grenading, but you've got to be willing to take that chance when you start tinkering.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Get a Fisker in a year or two. Sporty and electric.

The Volt may be peppy enough for your "young stud" urges but of course, it won't have a thumping muffler, hood scoop or "GTR" on the back bumper. Good luck - when you're in your 40s, you'll be back :)

You're rationalizing your decisions and also linking them to peer-pressures from family about tree-hugging and all that. That's too bad. Too bad for the family not wanting to at least look at helping the planet or those who will follow them. I do think people just cannot see past their current state of affairs and tend to think-locally and act-locally. It's just our nature to "use up" our resources and then go hunting for more resources everywhere else. This just isn't a sustainable situation and I really do hope our children will not suffer too badly. I'm actually going to be talking with my two kids in the not too distant future to tell them that they probably would be doing themselves a favor in not having their own children as the world that they would be offering their own children surely will be lacking in resources, high prices and will probably not be as easy to live in as we have had over the past few decades. I do feel sorry for what they will have to endure. Unless our government gets their act together, the national debt alone will be a huge burden to all of us.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonaire, no offense, but spare me the lofty lecture about saving the planet. If I wanted to get really granular, I could make the argument that you're better off buying a conventional hybrid as opposed to a PHEV or EREV on the basis of how electricity is generated (i.e. coal). Then you've got the whole issue of the environmental "cleanliness" of Lithium mining, global supply issues, etc.

I have $240 worth of LED light bulbs in my house, am pretty diligent about recycling, and am religious about turning off the lights and HVAC when we leave the house. My power bills average $40-50 a month. I'm not claiming to be in the same league as Ed Begley or Bill Nye, but neither am I a wanton earth-wrecker when it comes to environmental responsibility.

Even within the next several years, I seriously doubt a Karma would be in my budget. Maybe a Model S (which I would LOVE) but even that would probably be a budgetary stretch. I knew my post would generate some controversy on this forum, but car buying is a very subjective and personal decision, and not always entirely rational, I admit. It seems my choice of the WRX is polarizing. I either get..."Umm...why?" or "Right on! You should totally get it." The head-scratchers fall into one of two camps, those that think I should be making the "right" decision (such as yourself, evidently) in getting a fuel-efficient, "sensible" car, or those that think I'm "too old" for a car like the WRX. Well, I've never been one to easily fit into others' boxes or categorizations. If the WRX got 50 mpg, there would absolutely be no question. I've even heard some rumors the next-generation WRX might be a turbodiesel that gets 40+ mpg. That would be great!

·
Registered
442 Posts
All one can do is research the available cars out there and determine what is best for them given all that they know or think they know. At 35, you would certainly be on the younger side of the age scale for Volt buyers. For those able to buy a car at this price point, many other choices come to mind because they have their dream cars, sports cars, etc.. The reality is all but a very small group of people would say "no gas used" as the first thing they look for in a car. If it ugly, too slow, or too expensive, you will not have many takers. I certainly don't see many saying the Volt goesn't look good (for what it is) given it is a 4 door, 4 person hauler that allows you to make the average daily commute without gas. Some will say it is too much, but you will always have that. I for one enjoy driving my 13 mpg high performance truck over any of the cars I can afford right now, but my priorities are shifting as I get older. Buy what you want, the rest doesn't matter.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like we like the same type of cars. Hot hatches that get good fuel economy. I like the practicality of a hatch for putting big items (bikes etc...) and I want a car that handles well, is reasonably fast, and gets good fuel economy. I currently own a 2005 Mazda 3s. I bought it new and have to say it's been a great car. 86,000 miles and I really haven't had a problem with it. I just replaced the brake rotors and pads. Probably didn't need to replace the rotors but I did it myself so for $230 I'd rather just replace everything and know there won't be any brake problems in the future. I track my actual mileage by recording gas used and to date I've averaged 27.7mpg

So why do I want a new car? Well 5 years is a long time for a car for me and I'm itchy for something new. And as you've noticed there isn't much out there is is what I consider good. For me the WRX gas mileage is just too bad. I can't stand the seats in that car either and the handling and road noise aren't that great. BTW, the road noise is my one big complaint with the Mazda 3s.

I've read the reliability on the Mark VI GTI is worlds better than the older models and the handling, engine, transmission, interior really are amazing. Road noise? Actually quiet like my wife's 3 series BMW. I guess there is some risk on reliability but the car is so damn good I'm willing to take that risk. It's really either that or another Mazda 3.

I also test drove the Mazdaspeed 3. Yeah it's fun but the engine is a little "on/off." Transmission isn't as smooth as the GTI and the clutch is a real PITA in my opinion. Not progressive at all. On top of all that the exhaust noise is not something I could live with. It's fun for a mile or two but then the droning gets on my nerves. Maybe when I was 22 that would have been cool but not at 45.

If you get 22-24 mpg with your Protege then I'd expect you'll seen mileage in the teens with the WRX.

Why can Mazda make a Speed 3 for adults and not kids flying around texting with baseball hats on backwards? Perfect anecdotal evidence of what I'm talking about. The other day I'm coming out of Kohl's with my 2 year old daughter. A car stops for us to cross the and a kid (baseball hat on backwards) sees the car in front of him slowing down. He reacts like any kid in a "hot" car and immediately goes to swerve around the "idiot" slowing down in the parking lot for some reason. I don't need to tell you I had to quickly run back with my daughter to not get hit by this kid. Although anecdotal that is how the majority of young people I see drive these days. It's scary.

·
Registered
500 Posts
But since you posted I have to wonder how you made a total about face from an efficient car to one that gets the gas mileage of a midsize SUV or worse actually when you consider it uses premium fuel?
That all depends on what your buying criteria. I for example, have a great interest in the Volt, and I've already put down a deposit for one. And the main reasons are not to save money on fuel, or to stop importing foreign oil (I'm in Canada, a net exporter), or to save the planet. My criteria are that I want a cool car that stands out and that's well equipped.

The WRX is definitely a car I've been considering, as well as the Lancer Ralliart, Lexus CT200h, Audi A3 TDI, Mercedes C250. They're all cars in the mid-30k (in Canada), and they all stand out, either because of perofrmance, heritage, engineering or brand appeal. In the end the Volt won out because I'm even more a geek/nerd than a car fanatic. I'm the poster-boy for early adopters of technology (I'm also an electrical engineer, so it's second nature). I had HDTV in 2002; I customg built LCD screens in cars with full-on computers way before any manufacturer did it. For me, the Volt is the ultimate technological toy, and for that reason I can't imagine NOT owning one. It also helps that my Nissan Sentra (mine is an SE-R) is starting to get old, and the Volt timing is spot-on.

But if the Volt fails to materialize in Canada before my Nissan stops working... The WRX would be pretty high on my list again...

If it's of any relevance, I'm 32 years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting read! No worries though, I most certainly will not judge you. I have no right to! Besides, how can anyone blame you? The WRX is a sexy car. Definitely an attention grabber, and if youre looking for performance and fun, id think about the WRX myself. If anyone loses respect for you, I dont think they are in the right. Get what YOU want and enjoy it. To each their own!

I, however, am very happy and confident with my decision to get a Volt. It fits my needs and wants. I am a 19 year old female (which might make me one of the youngest early adopters? Im not sure.), I live in bright and sunny Florida, and am currently attending college. I fell in love with the ambition/work of the engineering, and also the prospect of the technology, which I am very hopeful for. Besides that, its just enough car for me. Not too sporty and just enough comfort/luxury. Don't get me wrong, I love being IN fast performance sports cars and getting rides in them, just not so much driving them. I'm too inexperienced and it's just not my thing. Also, with the way I drive, the EV range is perfect.

All the technology in the car is a big bonus for me too. To start, this is a big step of many to come for electric car battery technology. This little electric car arms race should be fun. Could have gone without the capacitive buttons, but the two big touch screens are great, and the way they integrate the car with my smart phone and allow precise read outs of all the important information regarding my car excites me. I can start my car, lock it, unlock it, preheat it, all with my phone. Now they're talking about working with Powermat, which has great potential for a few awesome innovations. Bottom line here though is we all have different priorities. I love technology.

edit:
That all depends on what your buying criteria. I for example, have a great interest in the Volt, and I've already put down a deposit for one. And the main reasons are not to save money on fuel, or to stop importing foreign oil (I'm in Canada, a net exporter), or to save the planet. My criteria are that I want a cool car that stands out and that's well equipped.

The WRX is definitely a car I've been considering, as well as the Lancer Ralliart, Lexus CT200h, Audi A3 TDI, Mercedes C250. They're all cars in the mid-30k (in Canada), and they all stand out, either because of perofrmance, heritage, engineering or brand appeal. In the end the Volt won out because I'm even more a geek/nerd than a car fanatic. I'm the poster-boy for early adopters of technology (I'm also an electrical engineer, so it's second nature). I had HDTV in 2002; I customg built LCD screens in cars with full-on computers way before any manufacturer did it. For me, the Volt is the ultimate technological toy, and for that reason I can't imagine NOT owning one. It also helps that my Nissan Sentra (mine is an SE-R) is starting to get old, and the Volt timing is spot-on.

But if the Volt fails to materialize in Canada before my Nissan stops working... The WRX would be pretty high on my list again...

If it's of any relevance, I'm 32 years old.
^ Hah! Thats funny..my post is pretty much the same feelings. You worded it much easier. I'm a more of a geek/nerd (love my tech) than a car person :D! Wow and as I continue to read your post, we share even MORE in common. I'm in college for electrical engineering (Electronics engineering to be exact) and of course, I'm also a notorious early adopter when it comes to technology.

Oh and "For me, the Volt is the ultimate technological toy, and for that reason I can't imagine NOT owning one." That pretty much sums up in one sentence my reasons as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XR which gets appx. 27 MPG highway and goes 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. I'm in my fifties, so you are never too old (unless you have a serious issue with reaction time) for a little performance. I think in time the Volts performance will improve as will reduction in cost. I would definatly consider a Volt SS when the time comes. For now with a kid in college and a 5 mile commute to work each way, the Volt does not make sense form me yet. I put about 2500 commuting miles per year (compared to Lyle's 3443 miles in one month) on my car, so a lease would be an option. I'll just have to wait a few years for my son to graduate. :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'm a more of a geek/nerd (love my tech) than a car person :D! Wow and as I continue to read your post, we share even MORE in common.
I think this actually sums it up as well as I've seen. EVs will appeal to geeks far more than car guys (or gals). Car guys want performance, which EVs won't initially have, whereas tech guys love the technology and engineering and aren't gong to get their panties in a bunch if they can't get to 60 MPH in 5 seconds.

The relative lack of appeal of EVs to car guys is BTW why GM doesn't understand the Volt -- too many car guys (or gals you get the point) working there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughtful and supportive comments. As I said, I'm not considering the WRX just to flip a bird to Prius and Volt drivers. If there were an affordable, high-performance, green alternative that appealed to me, I'd buy it. The Volt is oh-so-close, but just slightly out of my range of affordability, and not quite the performance level I want. A "Volt SS" that offered near the same level of electric range and RE fuel economy, but could do 0-60 in about six flat, at around the same price as the current model, would be very appealing.

If you saw me in person, I'm the polar opposite of the sideways hat, baggy pants, multiple-piercings stereotype of performance import drivers. I'm a balding, well-rounded (literally) :), white guy that wears Hawaiian shirts and khakis. Heck, even in my lowered Protege, I'm sure I get some puzzled looks.

In terms of why I get such poor fuel economy in my Protege, I think it probably has something to do with the car's relative lack of low-end torque. In south Orange County, I pretty much have to drive it in the "on-off" throttle mode to keep from getting run down by minivans, SUVs and Bimmers. That said, I know I'm a fairly aggressive driver, but part of it is survival instinct. :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'd go for the WRX, really. A used Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 would also be fun, but less so than the Subaru.

I'm in a Mazda6 sport wagon now. Average mpg is 25 or so and I've gotten up to 29mpg on the highway on longer trips. With a V-6 it is moderately fun, it's a 5-speed manual and it's not made anymore by Mazda - it's unique enough to be interesting. Not trading it in for some time now, maybe 2014 for a Volt or Prius-type. Prior car in my late 30s was a Chrysler Concorde. It wasn't too sporty but had good mileage at around 30 mpg on the highway (amazing for a Chrysler product which tend to be gas-hogs). The Mazda is so much more reliable than the Concorde was.

My rant-reply above was mainly to state an opinion that our kids and their kids will face a pretty rough future. No reason not to have fun today in our generation but it is truly at their expense. We can save resources - but so many resources will be scarfed up by Asia and India as they grow that we really need good electric cars for the centuries to come fed by Solar or hydro-electric recharging. But all that will happen on its own. Coal is still an issue and I don't mind its use - but we can do better. China builds a new coal plant every 7-10 days - we are pale in comparison here in the USA. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/business/worldbusiness/11chinacoal.html

Our world changes fast. When I was born in 1964, there were about 3.1 billion people on the planet. With 6.8 billion today I see the difference and can feel that the future of the planet lies within each of us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughtful and supportive comments. As I said, I'm not considering the WRX just to flip a bird to Prius and Volt drivers. If there were an affordable, high-performance, green alternative that appealed to me, I'd buy it. The Volt is oh-so-close, but just slightly out of my range of affordability, and not quite the performance level I want. A "Volt SS" that offered near the same level of electric range and RE fuel economy, but could do 0-60 in about six flat, at around the same price as the current model, would be very appealing.

If you saw me in person, I'm the polar opposite of the sideways hat, baggy pants, multiple-piercings stereotype of performance import drivers. I'm a balding, well-rounded (literally) :), white guy that wears Hawaiian shirts and khakis. Heck, even in my lowered Protege, I'm sure I get some puzzled looks.

In terms of why I get such poor fuel economy in my Protege, I think it probably has something to do with the car's relative lack of low-end torque. In south Orange County, I pretty much have to drive it in the "on-off" throttle mode to keep from getting run down by minivans, SUVs and Bimmers. That said, I know I'm a fairly aggressive driver, but part of it is survival instinct. :)
Are you a girl?
When did you drive a Volt?
0-60 in under 9sec, pretty zippy!
What is the speed limit in Socal these days? I think the Volt goes 101mph, no?
If you drive any car, any car!... 0-60 in 6 sec very often you will have issues with it, exept maybe the Volt or other electric car. I would think with the driving you have decripbed on/off/hard braking the Volt may be an ideal car for you. There are not enought Volts anyway so it really does not matter, but your reasons seem interesting to me. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you drive any car, any car!... 0-60 in 6 sec very often you will have issues with it
Nope. I drove a Honda Civic hatchback (manual transmission) to redline nearly every shift for 12 years and it held up just fine.

Don't lower your expectations of your car, and it might just rise to meet them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope. I drove a Honda Civic hatchback (manual transmission) to redline nearly every shift for 12 years and it held up just fine.

Don't lower your expectations of your car, and it might just rise to meet them.

5 speed?
Red line in 5th gear in a Honda Civic = what in MPH?
How many miles did you drive in 12 years?
Lots of tickets or just a low HP car?
How low can you get the MPG in a car like that.
Look all am saying is that if you drive any car flat out (or any car that I have owned at least) you will have issues. If you are doing it in Socal, you will also need brakes, lots of brakes!

I just figured one of the many reasons that makes the Volt so cool, sport it around. It won't be hard on as hard on the drive train or the brakes as a regular car. And if the trips are short, little or no gas. Just saying.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you a girl?
When did you drive a Volt?
0-60 in under 9sec, pretty zippy!
What is the speed limit in Socal these days? I think the Volt goes 101mph, no?
If you drive any car, any car!... 0-60 in 6 sec very often you will have issues with it, exept maybe the Volt or other electric car. I would think with the driving you have decripbed on/off/hard braking the Volt may be an ideal car for you. There are not enought Volts anyway so it really does not matter, but your reasons seem interesting to me. Just saying.
What's your problem dude? You think I'm a girl because I over-did it on the smileys? :) (Sorry, couldn't resist.) No, I don't plan on driving foot-to-the-floor constantly, especially not in the WRX, because I'd probably rack up a pile of tickets the thickness of the federal budget. My Mazda has held up well under my admittedly aggressive driving. However, I maintain it regularly and diligently. I think how well vehicles hold up under hard driving is a good indicator of their engineering and quality.

Car buying is very subjective. That's one reason there are so many different models out there. Everyones' tastes and needs are different. I know guys that wouldn't own anything but a pickup, people that would never own a hatchback, or will only drive V8 musclecars. Hey...whatever floats your boat. Who knows, the predictions of $5 a gallon gas in 2012 may come true, and I may be kicking myself for NOT getting a Volt. Thankfully, my commute right now is reasonable enough that even if it went up to that price, it wouldn't be a major pain in the tank. I don't have the luxury of being able to afford or store a third car, so I need something that'll do everything I need/want. The Subaru does that, for now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What's your problem dude? You think I'm a girl because I over-did it on the smileys? :) (Sorry, couldn't resist.) No, I don't plan on driving foot-to-the-floor constantly, especially not in the WRX, because I'd probably rack up a pile of tickets the thickness of the federal budget. My Mazda has held up well under my admittedly aggressive driving. However, I maintain it regularly and diligently. I think how well vehicles hold up under hard driving is a good indicator of their engineering and quality.

Car buying is very subjective. That's one reason there are so many different models out there. Everyones' tastes and needs are different. I know guys that wouldn't own anything but a pickup, people that would never own a hatchback, or will only drive V8 musclecars. Hey...whatever floats your boat. Who knows, the predictions of $5 a gallon gas in 2012 may come true, and I may be kicking myself for NOT getting a Volt. Thankfully, my commute right now is reasonable enough that even if it went up to that price, it wouldn't be a major pain in the tank. I don't have the luxury of being able to afford or store a third car, so I need something that'll do everything I need/want. The Subaru does that, for now.
I meant nothing by the “are you a girl” thing, however the opening to your post is “deciding not to get a Volt for now” I read that as you changed you mind. I am just a little confused; you were seriously considering a Volt. But now looking at a WRX, seems like two completely different cars? Just seems like you are wavering a bit.

You say that you have driven the Volt… it did not impress you? It just seems to me that the kind of driving you describe that the Volt would ideal. Regen braking and all. My wife has a 2010 Mazda 3, it is a zippy little car but I am not sure it would go 0-60 in under 9sec. It gets about 25 mpg in town real world driving. Driving the WRX “hard” I will bet it will be hard to get even 20 mpg, Let us know if you feel like it. Just saying.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Isn't someone entitled to change their mind? I like a wide variety of cars, from the Tesla Roadster (and from what I've seen, I REALLY like the upcoming Model S) the Corvette, the WRX, the Volt, the BMW 335d, and the CTS-V.

Frankly, a factor that would tip the scales a little more in favor of Volt for me right now is if the $7,500 credit could be taken off-the-top in the transaction price, rather than an after-the-fact tax credit. Not that I have my hand out for Uncle Sam goodies, but if it's there, I'll take it.

The other thing is, I feel that in the next 5 years, electric and PHEV technology will improve considerably, and costs will drop considerably. Not that the Volt is in any way deficient in its current form, but as industries and sectors scale up and commercialize, the commoditization of components and processes will ultimately increase quality and decrease costs.

Who knows, I might still end up getting a Volt. For now, I'm still in my 7 year-old Mazda, so it's all academic until I actually buy something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Isn't someone entitled to change their mind? I like a wide variety of cars, from the Tesla Roadster (and from what I've seen, I REALLY like the upcoming Model S) the Corvette, the WRX, the Volt, the BMW 335d, and the CTS-V.

Frankly, a factor that would tip the scales a little more in favor of Volt for me right now is if the $7,500 credit could be taken off-the-top in the transaction price, rather than an after-the-fact tax credit. Not that I have my hand out for Uncle Sam goodies, but if it's there, I'll take it.

The other thing is, I feel that in the next 5 years, electric and PHEV technology will improve considerably, and costs will drop considerably. Not that the Volt is in any way deficient in its current form, but as industries and sectors scale up and commercialize, the commoditization of components and processes will ultimately increase quality and decrease costs.

Who knows, I might still end up getting a Volt. For now, I'm still in my 7 year-old Mazda, so it's all academic until I actually buy something.
Good list of cars: The Tesla roadster is cool, but quite frankly out of my price range and a bit small for me, 6 foot 250. The S model on the other hand looks great, but not buyable at this time. The S is one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. And there is that range thing if you want to go on a trip or long drive.
If it only had a range extender.

You bring up some great points, the technology will most likely improve from here on out, range, cost and performance.

Nothing wrong with the tax credit, it is your money after all. I do agree with others on this site however, if Chevy is selling all the Volts they are building there is no need for a tax incentive.

My reason for wanting a Volt is simple. I want a practical choice what I spend my money on to make my car move without compromise. The world wide oil industry has been messing (insert your own word here) with us for too long.

You did drive the Volt, correct? How did you like it? How far were you able to drive it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts