GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I skimmed through the problem thread and didn't see anything current about this so I thought I would post for information, comment, and advice.

Recently, I had to have my 2014 Chevy Volt towed to the dealer because it decelerated from 45 mph on the highway to about 5 mph, no matter how hard I was pressing on the pedal. After creeping along for a few minutes, it decided to stop moving altogether with error messages: "Engine Not Available, Service Soon" and "Propulsion Power is Reduced". This incident, on Friday, was preceded by two days of check engine lights with slight decelerations. I even took the car to the dealer the day before and the initial response I got was due to the intermittent check engine light they weren't going to find anything wrong and it would be a waste of time and money to even look at it. One key factor to note in all this is that it has been scorching hot, not as hot as Arizona, but the infotainment center was showing an outside temperature of 100 F when the car stopped moving.

In fact, a similar thing happened in December of last year, I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I happened to look at the NHTSA website and saw several similar complaints related to 2014 Chevy Volt.

So finally, on Monday, the service center said they thought it was related to reduced coolant flow, which would make sense. However, being that they seemed unfamiliar with the problem in the first place, I was wondering if anyone had heard of this issue.

One other note, please post to the NHTSA website if you have a similar issue, then they will investigate and issue a recall. As well, look at the lemon laws of your state. For example, in Georgia, if they failed to diagnose the problem this time or the fix doesn't stick I can arbitrate to have GM to buy the car back from me.

·
4,851 Posts
I had that kind of problem once. In my case it was related to a sticky transmission solenoid due to a manufacturing issue on early 2011 Volts. The car worked flawlessly ever since the solenoid was replaced. Yours could be similar problem (different cause) or it could be coolant-related.

Either way, did you have OnStar read the codes when the check engine light came on? Anytime it comes on you can press the OnStar button and have them read the codes for you.

Hopefully a competent dealer will read the codes themselves (which are retained in memory for some number of engine cycles) and fix the problem. It sounds like your dealer may not be the greatest, I would look for a new dealer before giving up on the car. I'm certain once it's resolved, your Volt will be trouble-free again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for reminding me, Clarkson, there is also an issue with the OnStar diagnostic not running when I have the check engine light. I need to have them look at the OnStar hardware as well.

Yeah, I just called a different dealer and they seemed more familiar with the issue and said they service a lot of Volts. Thanks for that suggestion.

I had that kind of problem once. In my case it was related to a sticky transmission solenoid due to a manufacturing issue on early 2011 Volts. The car worked flawlessly ever since the solenoid was replaced. Yours could be similar problem (different cause) or it could be coolant-related.

Either way, did you have OnStar read the codes when the check engine light came on? Anytime it comes on you can press the OnStar button and have them read the codes for you.

Hopefully a competent dealer will read the codes themselves (which are retained in memory for some number of engine cycles) and fix the problem. It sounds like your dealer may not be the greatest, I would look for a new dealer before giving up on the car. I'm certain once it's resolved, your Volt will be trouble-free again.

·
4,851 Posts
You're welcome Thomas. Good luck with the other dealer, keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an update. Though they never came up with a clear diagnosis, Volt technical support recommended to the dealer to replace the engine coolant pump. So we will see how this goes! Anyone else have this kind of problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts