GM Volt Forum banner

Debris behind left front fender

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  glasspilot 
#1 ·
Kind of a boring question. Leaves are raining down on my car and many end up falling down in the crevice behind the left, front fender right where the charging wiring enters, right behind the charging door. Awful hard to reach down there and clean them out.

Of course the worry is if you ignore this, they will rot and rust out that area.

How do others clean this stuff out?

#4 ·
Well, it is hidden from view when the hood is closed. When leaves slide down the windshield they go into that rain channel (just below the wiper blades) then some go into that hole and down into that space. I'll try to get a photo later and post it.

About the leaf blower suggestion, I'd worry the blower would just push the leaves further down into the hole.

As far as plugging the hole. This is where rain drains down, so I wouldn't want to defeat that.

This is definitely about preventive maintenance. I don't want a rotting mass of leaves starting rust, not to mention damaging our valuable charging wiring!

#3 ·
Picture? Is that where the rubber gasket is? Can you adjust the gasket to better block the space? I had a gasket out of place that required adjustment. And, I usually take an electric leaf blower and blast any pesky debris that I can't reach.

#6 ·
Open the hood. Now look at the cowling grill below the windshield. To the right (toward the charging fender) there is a space where the hood hinge is located. I think that's where the OP is saying some leaves get stuck. I occasionally find one or two an pluck them out. It is a tight space. Could use a long needle-nosed plier, or perhaps a set of kitchen tongs for hot dogs.

#7 ·
A set of hemostats will likely work. You can get them from auto parts stores or probably Harbor Freight in the States. In Canada Princess Auto has them. One of my most commonly used tools. I've used them since the 60's when I worked for IBM.

Or vacuuming them out with shop vac and narrowest attachment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.