GM Volt Forum banner

Dealership stopped working on Volts

9K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Cloudnine 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2012 Chevy Volt with 145 000 miles. I've had no problems with it but recently, I found out that my local dealership doesn't do repairs on Volts anymore. That bugs me quite a bit and I'm thinking of getting rid of the car.
My concern is mainly the battery temp sensors, but how big of a concern that is, I don't know.... Are there any other big risks to be aware of?

I wouldn't want to sell the car but if there's a chance of it failing for a stupid reason like the sensors and not being able to have it fixed locally, I'd better swap it for some other car....

#2 ·
Check neighboring dealerships. The dealership I normally go to 18 miles away stopped because their volt technician had a health issue and had to stop working. They are between a rock and a hard place because they have the tools, but the training is no longer available. Meanwhile, the dealership 3 miles from me as well as the dealership 20 miles the opposite direction of the first dealership continues to service Volts.

I ran into an even worse problem when considering an ELR. The closest dealership that could service the ELr was over 75 miles away... ironically a Cadillac dealership in a really, really small town. None of the dealerships in the bigger towns near me have an ELR certified tech.

#5 ·
I can’t imagine why the ELR would require an ELR specific tech. The Voltech powertrain system within it is essentially the same as the Volt. This seems more like Cadillac imaging thing. Cadillac customers can only get service from Cadillac dealerships. BS. That would be like saying a Cadillac XLR aka “Cadillac Corvette” from 2005-2009 can only be serviced at Cadillac dealership and not a Chevrolet dealership that sells and services Corvettes.

#6 ·
It's a really crappy situation, I bought the car two years ago, had all of the big services done, installed an oilpan heater, bought two new sets of wheels and tyres(I live in Finland, lots of snow) and had the intention to keep it a long time... It just feels too big of a risk to keep it in case there was a big problem with it and nowhere to have it fixed...

#7 ·
Living in Finland explains everything.
I assume the Volt in Finland is somewhat rare. Is there an Opel dealer in the area that might service the Ampera?

#9 · (Edited)
I sympathize with the OP's situation. Here in the Twin Cities there are a dozen or more Chevy dealers, several of which have a rep for selling and servicing Volts, and several more in the surrounding small towns. So even though the car has been discontinued I think that service will be adequate in the area for a while yet. My main worry is not lack of service but lack of parts and support from GM. This forum has numerous posts about long waits for repairs due to parts availability issues, and I doubt if that will get better as the cars age. Repair parts also seem to be somewhat expensive. My 2013 has only 35K miles on it, so I'm afraid support will disappear long before the car wears out. I've owned the car for 3 1/2 years, and I love it, but never would have bought it had I known GM was about to make it an orphan. I would take a beating on a trade-in, so my only option now is to enjoy driving the car until some major/expensive fail and then decide whether to dump it or fix it.

#11 ·
Yeah the OP has the same fears as I have. Ours are coming up on 10 years and while reliable I fear that getting service is going to get harder and harder. SO far there are several dealerships within 20 miles that will do service but I am sure that will dwindle.

Anyone ever find an independent to work on them? Ex Chevy guy that do their own thing?

#13 ·
This one of my worries owning a Volt long-term..... which I plan to do, like 20 years.
Can dealers just say "I don't wanna work on that car" ??
Not like we/I can make them work on the Volts.

BUT! Like the pioneers before me who headed west, I will keep my Volt and move forward.
(hard life I know, hoping my EV will keep running well......rather than my wagon being swept away in the river
or little Suzie getting typhoid fever)

Reactions: jbakerjonathan
#15 ·
Dump it and while you're at it consider dumping PEV technology altogether until such time as manufacturers become 100% committed to the technology. It doesn't matter why you can't get service the reality is you can't get service. It's disgusting Chevy has placed owners into this position. Had I known they were going to discontinue the Volt a mere 15 months after I bought it I wouldn't have bought it.

Gm has been a disaster when it comes to PEV technology, avoid it.

#16 ·
Yeah, similar total fail on the CT6 Plug-in rollout. It was only available in a few states, thus really restricting who can work on them. In this case they targeted the green states (Cali, Washington) and places with rich retirees who don’t quite get plungins (arizona, Texas, Georgia, Florida), and maybe a few more...

#20 ·
Haven't been able to gets parts for my Tercel or Integra for years (other than generic maintenance items). On the other hand have no problems getting parts for my 40 year old Triumph TR7, a company that hasn't been in existence for 36 years. Go figure.

#23 ·
I would answer that question this way. The ICE in your 2012 Volt functions as a generator, not as an automobile engine. When the battery state of charge drops to the "switch to gas" level, the smaller motor MGA is clutched to the engine, starts it, and is then cranked by the engine as a generator. To extend the range, the Gen 1 motor uses gas-generated electricity as fuel and the battery as a "buffer of borrowable power." The Gen 1 Volt is propelled by the larger motor MGB 100% of the time. Any excess generator output is put into the battery, and then used by the motor. If generator output is not sufficient to meet a power demand (for example, you floor the accelerator to pass someone on the highway), the motor "borrows" some power from the battery buffer, and when demand lessens, the generator recharges the battery to the "switch to gas" point. The gas-generated electric propulsion system requires a battery buffer for its operation.

Under certain conditions when the range is being extended (when smoothly cruising at 35 mph and above), the ICE/generator combo may be clutched to the drivetrain to improve fuel consumption efficiency (I call this "engine-assisted electric propulsion"). When a performance request is made (same example, you floor the accelerator to pass someone), the computer switches the system out of two-motor ("split-power") configuration and back into one-motor configuration, i.e., 100% (gas-generated) electric propulsion. The Gen 1 Volt is not engineered to be propelled by the gas engine only.

#25 · (Edited)
The battery temperature sensors are different than the outside air temperature sensor.
A battery temperature sensor that sensed the BATTERY is colder than an ideal amount will use some of the battery power to run resistance heaters in the battery to warm the battery to a temperature that can more efficiently convert the stored energy into amperage. No ICE is needed.
An outside air temperature sensor that senses the air is colder than some thin-blooded software writer in southern California thinks is "cold" will start the ICE for the purpose of adding waste ICE heat to the cabin for the comfort of the operator and passenger. This is the "Engine Run Due To Temperature" pseudo-feature that I have selectively defeated on my 2014.

I still draw 3 to 5 kw for battery self-heating on cold mornings until the battery warms to its designed operating temperature.

I would expect that the battery temperature sensors could be bypassed in much the same way as I bypassed the one outside air temperature sensor, but I don't recommend it.
The battery temperature sensors not only detect when the battery is less than an optimal temperature and send a signal that works to warm the battery, but they also detect when the battery is above an optimal temperature and send a signal that works to cool the battery. Replacing the variable resistors within the battery with fixed resistors could result in battery operation well out of design limits and potential battery damage.

#35 ·
I have 2012 Volt with 150k, 85% EV mode. Not concerned with service in Frederick MD area. Three local dealers seems to have qualified EV technicians on staff. I am confident if something breaks they can fix it. As an FYI, I drive cars until they stop so service long-term is important to me. Volt replaced 2001 Malibu with 324,000 miles on it. My concern is with GM expertise being provided to service technicians. My Volt ran literally problem free from purchase on 5/31/2012 until 11/19/2019. Had vehicle in for recall service, reprogramming of HPCM2. Since then my car has never been the same. Less range, less usable kWh. Range went from 36-38 to 26-30 and usable kWw on dash dropped from 9.7/9.8 to 8.4/8.8. Only good part there is vehicle charge time dropped from 3.75 hours to 3. Vehicle engages engine when batteries are fully charged randomly between 42 and 61 degrees. Call to GM ended with them sending me to dealer, who said per GM engine was engaging due to low temperature. Prior to recall reprogramming engine came on at 24/25 degree F with accompanying engine running due to low temp splash window. Low temp splash never comes on now. When I called GM they referred me back to dealer and supported dealer opinion of vehicle being okay. If GM is providing this information to dealer, I question GM expertise. Last note, reprogramming gave my Volt a Prius mode. If you have ever driven a Prius my car acts just like it. Will depart with vehicle during 2021, next vehicle not GM. Not because of service, most due to lack of confidence in manufacturer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.